Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Rialto/SCR

Options
  • 10-03-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

We are currently looking at buying a house along the SCR in Rialto and was wondering if anyone has any recent experience living in the area. 
    We live currently on Clanbrassil Street which has changed a lot over the last few years and recent posts about Rialto/SCR/Dolphins Barn have been from a few years ago.
    If anyone is living in the area and has some guidance on what its like at night, if there are any break ins etc it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Close friends moved from SCR (Just before the village) ~6 months ago. Car windows smashed the week before they moved (not even an expensive car or valuables out). Previous to that a non zero amount of anti social behaviour from St Anthonys Rd. They dont describe it as terrible, but not desirable at all.

Living around the area, towards the Fatima luas.

Kids from the age of ten up in groups of more than two are pretty much invariably an unpleasant experience to run into, but can be ignored.

Groups a few years older are pretty constantly abusing passers by and pitching stones at random windows.

Every couple of moons there'll be a frenzy and cars get damaged.

Have to say this seems more of an issue in the few streets between the barn and Fatima, Rialto itself seems a good deal less likely to experience the joys of these little darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

my sister lives there on a bigger street in Rialto and it's not the worst, but cousin lived more in the neighborhood and it was a nightmare, very dangerous and dodgy. Stabbing, vandalism, violence, very unsafe. Had to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Rialto is reportedly the new Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from Accommodation and Property. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Pauline_Pool

Hi All,

Wondering the same as op, thinking of buying in Rialto and wanted to know if it's improved in recent years ? All other threads are from years ago. Saw a house which I really like on Reuben Avenue and have been thinking of putting in an offer. Walked around the area and it seemed ok.

Also, when googling the house I found out that someone was stabbed to death during an attempted burglary a few years back. Sorry for going off topic but how do people feel about living in a house where there was a violent death ? Am I silly to think about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hi All,

Wondering the same as op, thinking of buying in Rialto and wanted to know if it's improved in recent years ? All other threads are from years ago. Saw a house which I really like on Reuben Avenue and have been thinking of putting in an offer. Walked around the area and it seemed ok.

Also, when googling the house I found out that someone was stabbed to death during an attempted burglary a few years back. Sorry for going off topic but how do people feel about living in a house where there was a violent death ? Am I silly to think about it ?

Personally I wouldn't, even if it were free.

youtube! wrote: »
    [/B]

Personally I wouldn't, even if it were free.

Yeah I don't know, part of me thinks it's grand but there is a small part of me that feels weird about it ! But for all I know there could have been a murder in my current rented house, the only difference with Reuben Avenue is that I know for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Heart+kills+man+after+wife+death.-a079265417

I viewed this house a couple of years after the tragedy, I can honestly say I had at the time not a single idea of what had occurred as I was not from the area, all I can tell you is the feeling of dread and doom was totally over bearing in that house, I felt physically sick and didn't make it upstairs to where the murder happened, I ran out of the place. I was informed by one of the neighbours a few weeks later when I viewed another property (which I did buy and still live in today) of what had happened , obviously the agents were none too keen on disclosing the history of the place. Anyway that was my experience , somebody went on to buy the house in the end I'm sure, just not me!

I have to say I got no such feeling on Reuben Avenue when I viewed it but I didn't yet know about the murder. I think I need to go back for another viewing now that I know and see how I feel. Do you think the buyer of the house you mentioned knows about the tragedy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Hi All,

Having rented in the area for nigh on 10 years I would say its a handy place to live, close to the city and obviously has the Luas. I never had a local in the area but it has devent food vendors and an excellent butchers.

If you dont mind the teenie tracksuit warriors and can ignore them and walk on its fine. My issue would be based around my other half not feeling safe at night and starting a family, for these reasons I decided to move on. If I was still young free and partying I would probably still be there!

Having rented in the area for nigh on 10 years I would say its a handy place to live, close to the city and obviously has the Luas. I never had a local in the area but it has devent food vendors and an excellent butchers.

If you dont mind the teenie tracksuit warriors and can ignore them and walk on its fine. My issue would be based around my other half not feeling safe at night and starting a family, for these reasons I decided to move on. If I was still young free and partying I would probably still be there!

Thanks for the insight Paddy. How recently did you live there? Wondering if it's improved in recent years. Surely it was much worse ten years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

Go there a couple of times, morning, evening, weekend. Walk around the street you wan't to buy in.
    I wouldn't live there for free. I am 15 min walk from there and t's not far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Hey Pauline,

I only moved out a couple of years ago but am a member of a gym in the area, from passing through almost daily my observation would be nothing has changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was looking on Reuben Street a couple (maybe three/four) years back. It's a very mixed area at best. The massive developments have meant that the area will never gentrify IMHO.

If you take something like this property as an example it's absolutely terrible value for money and that area was even when I was looking down there a few years back. I would look in other areas of Dublin 8 where there would be much better value for money and the same level of 'roughness', although Rialto isn't exactly the worst place you could live, neither is is the best and that describes most of D8 - an area of Dublin I love by the way!

What we ended up doing is coming out of D8 all together and looking in D5 and using the DART instead of the LUAS/walking - we're actually quicker in to town now than when we lived in D8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Have worked beside Rialto for the past 2 years. Things i have noticed so far'

- People shooting up heroin in broad daylight
    - Daylight robberies
    - Unprovoked attack on a woman
    - Rubbish everywhere
    - Dog **** everywhere
    - Drug dealing

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sunjava

Have worked beside Rialto for the past 2 years. Things i have noticed so far'

- People shooting up heroin in broad daylight
    - Daylight robberies
    - Unprovoked attack on a woman
    - Rubbish everywhere
    - Dog **** everywhere
    - Drug dealing

Is it not the case thatwith Rialto is quite settled once you go beyond Anthony St? I noticed the village is and the surrounding estates like New Ireland, Upper Cross and Rialto Cottages/street were quite nice and only getting better in general. I would have thought that it would be the dolphins barn end that would struggle to improve due to some of the developments in the area. Going forward with all the amenities in the area I would have thought there'd be some value...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Sunjava wrote: »
    Is it not the case thatwith Rialto is quite settled once you go beyond Anthony St? I noticed the village is and the surrounding estates like New Ireland, Upper Cross and Rialto Cottages/street were quite nice and only getting better in general. I would have thought that it would be the dolphins barn end that would struggle to improve due to some of the developments in the area. Going forward with all the amenities in the area I would have thought there'd be some value...

im not familiar with the area as a whole, these are just things ive witnessed. Mainly around the fatima luas stop and cork street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

been living in apts beside fatima luas for around six years
    the youths are quite intimidating but never had that much bother
    it is a bit of a kip tho, regularly see people selling drugs, beaten up, intimidated etc.
    no place to raise kids for sure
    cant wait to get out of here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

been living in apts beside fatima luas for around six years
    the youths are quite intimidating but never had that much bother
    it is a bit of a kip tho, regularly see people selling drugs, beaten up, intimidated etc.
    no place to raise kids for sure
    cant wait to get out of here

Herbeton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live on the South Circular just across from the Dolphin's Barn church and we have had very little trouble apart from a window in our car that was smashed, but that's because my dolt of a partner left an expensive speaker sitting on his dashboard for days! The kids roam around in gangs, but they never say a word to you or when they do it is generally quite jokey.

You see drug deals all the time, but a two minute walk down the road and you're in a different neighbourhood all together. I think it is a great area, and would like to buy here. If I had kids though, I might send them to a private school.

Herbeton?

that's the one.

gone now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Any update on what Rialto's like these days?

Some of the redbricks on Church Avenue and Haroldville Avenue are lovely.

i moved out a few months ago and was there for the previous 7 or so years
    it is becoming more gentrified lately, there are more pizza and coffee places cropping up so plenty of choice
    it is in a great location with a few luas stops close by so its really good in that respect
    there are a few rough roads around - notably st anthonys rd, reuben st, and anywhere closer to the barn but in general if u avoid those places you wont notice much anti social behavior.
    there does tend to be a good bit of drug dealing and addicts around fatima luas stop , and the place is a bit rough around the edges (deliveroo drivers get abused etc)
    church ave is quiet as its not a through road to anywhere but the next one over is st Anthony's rd - prob one of the worst streets in dublin but also easily bypassed/ignored

Advertisement