Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has property gone mad again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

trobbin wrote: »

History has a habit of repeating itself. Not every human decision os rational. Property buying falls into this. When prices are back to the crash level. Then worry. In the mean time buy or pay high rent

So are you saying people that are buying houses now aren't being rational? Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

trobbin wrote: »

So are you saying people that are buying houses now aren't being rational? Ok.

Didnt say that. Read again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Posters are reminded to remain civil when posting and to take any disagreements to pm please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I would guess people who didnt spend their youth spending their money on drink and fags.got a good education. Bought in twenties . Now buying again in 40ies

Hard to know. My guess is people who inherited, got gifts or bought abroad. Also some IT people who lucked out on stock.

Who knows with the instability of Europe and interest rates. Hopefully nowhere near that again but never say never.

In regards to Dublin property prices some areas are very high but others not so much. It's not inconceivable and possibly even preferable that Dublin property continues to rise at c.2-4% per year inline with jobs and spending power. Supply needs to come on stream in the suburbs and offer reasonable homes in the c. 300K bracket but it's not 'madness' that homes within the M50 should be out of reach of the likes of me and households on average incomes. Living within the bounds of a major 'city centre' is not an average thing, most people live in suburbs and commute in.

The city centre of Dublin is a few blocks. It's not "within the M50". Nor is Dublin a major city. 1M people and more should be able to fit in with proper density.

As I said before all of these arguments are rehashed from 2006. None of them explain the present boomlet or why it's not going to last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The city centre of Dublin is a few blocks. It's not "within the M50". Nor is Dublin a major city. 1M people and more should be able to fit in with proper density.

As I said before all of these arguments are rehashed from 2006. None of them explain the present boomlet or why it's not going to last.

It doesn't have proper density and it's unlikely to get it in the next 50 or so years. Dublin property is not overly expensive and prices will continue to rise as the economy gets better. Hopefully we'll see some relief with supply but I expect the best case scenario will be a stagnation of prices.

If we do have another crash (we will of course eventually) as with the last crash there will be very little property available as people batten down the hatches and ride it out like we did last time, and very little credit.

It doesn't have proper density and it's unlikely to get it in the next 50 or so years. Dublin property is not overly expensive and prices will continue to rise as the economy gets better. Hopefully we'll see some relief with supply but I expect the best case scenario will be a stagnation of prices.

If we do have another crash (we will of course eventually) as with the last crash there will be very little property available as people batten down the hatches and ride it out like we did last time, and very little credit.

What happened last time was a massive bailout that nearly financially crippled the system. Theres plenty of space to build within Dublin.

Prices will fall for any number of reasons outside political control (brexit, trump but more importantly interest rates rising) but also because of politics. The FG demand side solutions won't work (designed not to work in fact) but they aren't the only game in town. Supply can be encouraged and political processes will guarantee that if more and more people are in a position where they can't buy houses (or in my case have family members who can't - like my sister) they won't vote for the status quo.

In other words people will vote for more housing supply.

As for what happens when supply meets demand - well prices won't stagnate but fall. Prices remain historically high relative to wages. In a normal credit environment that means that most people can't afford a house.

This is unlike 2006 the banks don't now guarantee everybody a loan. Back then prices were crazy but you could get a house if you had a job. The present government has done all in its power to reduce to effect of the sane central bank rules by tax breaks but it's not effecting supply but prices.
    Future governments will do more to increase supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

In other words people will vote for more housing supply.

The vast majority of the electorate either have property as a pension safety net or are in negative equity from the 00's. They see rising prices as a good thing. A minority of the population are FTB and this is a minuscule percentage of the electorate.

The butchers vote for Christmas, they turkeys don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please let's leave the politics out of this thread. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

If there are more properties becoming available in the city center , many of the people in the burbs who already own property will be bidding on the new city center ones, leaving their suburban properties for everyone else.
    Ftbs won't be able to compete on the city center ones so will end up competing on the suburban ones.
    Perhaps even the people living further out will be interested in the suburbs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

76544567 wrote: »
    If there are more properties becoming available in the city center , many of the people in the burbs who already own property will be bidding on the new city center ones, leaving their suburban properties for everyone else.
    Ftbs won't be able to compete on the city center ones so will end up competing on the suburban ones.
    Perhaps even the people living further out will be interested in the suburbs too.

You wouldn't get me back into CC Dublin with a crowbar these days! :D

You wouldn't get me back into CC Dublin with a crowbar these days! :D

Me neither, but it seems we are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. Or follow where it came from?

Who are these people in the "burb's" looking to move into the city centre??? Like, are you meaning the actual city centre?? As in Dub 1 & 2 and nearby? Or are you referring to city centre as anything within M50? :confused::confused:

HiGlo wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand your logic here. Or follow where it came from?

Who are these people in the "burb's" looking to move into the city centre??? Like, are you meaning the actual city centre?? As in Dub 1 & 2 and nearby? Or are you referring to city centre as anything within M50? :confused::confused:

Read the threads going g back years on here and you will get a feel for the locations people have been complaining about not being able to afford a house in.

Read the threads going g back years on here and you will get a feel for the locations people have been complaining about not being able to afford a house in.

Riiiiiiiiiight.........
    Yeah, I'm totally going to do that.
    For sure. :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiiiiight.........
    Yeah, I'm totally going to do that.
    For sure. :rolleyes:

Sorry, can't do it for you. I wish i could, but i cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Who is trying to move from the suburbs into the city centre?

I cant imagine anyone with a family in the suburbs moving children into a city centre apartment or ex corpo house?

Movement is usually in the opposite direction.

Another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Sorry, can't do it for you. I wish i could, but i cant.

Of course not. I wouldn't expect you to.

I mean, if you aren't going to make a valid, clear point in the first place, I'm hardly going to expect you to back it up with evidence.

I think the property prices are creeping right back up, but i wouldn't expect they'll get to 2006/7 levels.

Around where i live there's quite a few new developments of fancy 4 & 5 bedroom houses being built. (D14, 16, 18, 6w area) Is this where the money is now for developers?
    There aren't many new builds with apartments or 2/3 bed houses.... (or am I just not noticing them!?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Around where i live there's quite a few new developments of fancy 4 & 5 bedroom houses being built. (D14, 16, 18, 6w area) Is this where the money is now for developers?
    There aren't many new builds with apartments or 2/3 bed houses.... (or am I just not noticing them!?)

I live a little closer to town than you but I see the opposite. Nothing but planning applications for 3-4 storey developments of 1-3 bed apts being submitted..usually they have some office/retail space attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Of course not. I wouldn't expect you to.

I mean, if you aren't going to make a valid, clear point in the first place, I'm hardly going to expect you to back it up with evidence.

I think the property prices are creeping right back up, but i wouldn't expect they'll get to 2006/7 levels.

Where we are they're building houses and apartments but the houses are going up first. A few other developments I know of are the same. Itmght be what's happening near you too.

BBMcQ wrote: »
    The vast majority of the electorate either have property as a pension safety net or are in negative equity from the 00's. They see rising prices as a good thing. A minority of the population are FTB and this is a minuscule percentage of the electorate.

The butchers vote for Christmas, they turkeys don't.

I'd vote for housing supply even though I own. No man is an island. The opinion polls show people are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Barnavave wrote: »

Well, the Irish know that annual double digit property price inflation is the greatest thing in the world. First it was achieved by throwing money around, this time through strangling supply, because another thing that's revered over anything else is make sure everything is too little, too small, too flimsy, too expensive and never, ever throw in anything for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Secure gated development.

Shed is beside a open field and beach. The only thing secure about it would be the gate you have to walk around.

Some yank will end up buying it though.

Secure gated development.

Shed is beside a open field and beach. The only thing secure about it would be the gate you have to walk around.

Some yank will end up buying it though.

Surprisingly it hasn't yet sold, though there is another one for sale in the same development for a bargain price of €275k and an actual house made from real bricks that was featured in this weeks Sunday Times for a complete steal at €380k.

Have we learned nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

People can say 'have we learned nothing' all day want. The fact is we have a housing shortage, and while the prices may be expensive. People need somewhere to live. If they have the money they will pay it, mad or not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Barnavave wrote: »
    Surprisingly it hasn't yet sold, though there is another one for sale in the same development for a bargain price of €275k and an actual house made from real bricks that was featured in this weeks Sunday Times for a complete steal at €380k.

Have we learned nothing?

I just love this smug response from people whenever this pops up... Spoken no doubt from somebody that owns their home and doesn't have to worry about the current rental crisis.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    I just love this smug response from people whenever this pops up... Spoken no doubt from somebody that owns their home and doesn't have to worry about the current rental crisis.

No spoken by someone old enough to have been through this twice now and can see the same mistakes being made all over again.

Advertisement