Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another .204 thread

Options
  • 10-03-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I'm leaning strongly towards a .204
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has one. Any of the factory ones I see have the 1:12 twist and there seems to be debate over whether they can stabilize the 40gr rounds. I'd like one that would happily digest 32gr or 40gr.
    The other option I have is to get my .223 re-barrelled. If this was the case I was thinking maybe go for a 1:11 twist with a 24" tube..
    I'm not looking for a .204 vs .223 debate just hearing people's experiences with the .204. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I'm going to look at a Tikka Supervarmint in .204 this week. Anyone have any experience with one? Online reviews are positive but I'm not finding a whole pile of information about them shooting the 40gr vmax rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

It's seems to be a lottery whether a factory 1:12 barrel can hold a tight group with 40gr ammo. My first .204 was a T3 Supervarmint, grouped fine with 32 and 39gr but wasn't overly mad about 40gr. But then I didn't buy it to shoot 40gr. And to be honest it was a bit of a brute. My last 2 rifles have Krieger 1:12 barrels. Both shoot 32, 39 and 40. And it seems can cloverleaf 45gr SP at 125yds too.

I'd ask to see the supervarmint shoot the 40gr ammo before I'd buy. If you can't and you really need to scratch the 40gr .204 itch then I'd look for a custom barrel.

Advertisement