Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house in neighbours garden- cause for concern??

Options
  • 10-03-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

So after looking for over a year, we have finally gone sale agreed on a house that ticked enough of our boxes. As was suggested in my other architect thread I was checking the planning permission for the road (cul de sac) and saw that the house on the corner at the top of the cul de sac has just received planning permission to build a detached house in the garden beside it. This is on the same side and 3 houses up from "our" house.

A number of the neighbours raised objections (including the current owners of the house we are buying). These were mainly around safety, as vehicle access will be close to the corner of the cul de sac and design would be out of kilter with existing houses (alignment and finish). The original plans were changed and the new house will be inline with the front of the existing house and will only stick out slight more at the back.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, other than the disruption of building works for circa 6 months? Is this called cold feet??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

No, especially if it's three houses away from you. Objections seem to be the usual "nimby" type, though I would accept the aesthetic objection regarding alignment. The previous/current owners probably simply objected on fears that it might put off prospective buyers. Disruption from builders generally depends on professionalism of contracting company, but restrictions such as working hours will apply anyway. If you're happy with the house, the addition of an extra house in the cul de sac shouldn't impact that. Good luck.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Three doors up, can't see it affecting you personally. Do you have to drive past the house, or is it further up the cul de sac? Worst case scenario for you, seems to be a chance of a driveway on a corner, but no worse than you'd see in many places with the state of parking!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

These people always object to change. What would have happened if the house you are buying now had objections and were not built!

Keep an eye on the works and the workmanship of the builders, chat to them, if you need any odd jobs done in the new house maybe they can shoot down and do a good cash price while there are in the area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

MarkR wrote: »
    Three doors up, can't see it affecting you personally. Do you have to drive past the house, or is it further up the cul de sac? Worst case scenario for you, seems to be a chance of a driveway on a corner, but no worse than you'd see in many places with the state of parking!

Will have to drive it as it will be the first house on the way in. The garden of the house it is being built in is rented (according to the objections) and the people complaining seemed to think this house will be rented as well. Not sure how they know that though!

Ideally would prefer all houses to be owner occupied however not that big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

It only depends on how you feel about it, not others.

Things I would be considering is the road. If it's a really well designed road of houses, that have all matured nicely, a new build on the road can look bad. Also, some new builds make the original houses look very poor when done well.

There's an example in Clonsuagh, main road going through the area, a long block of houses all uniformed and looked well. Big house build on end of the block and the rest of the houses look really cheap beside it.

Personally I'd hate it, if it was my road, but you've not bought yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

TRS30 wrote: »
    Ideally would prefer all houses to be owner occupied however not that big an issue.

Well, that's out of your control anyway, any one of the houses on the street could become a rental in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This really comes down to the builders attitude and the foreman keeping a tight reign on things like parking, skips, noise and deliveries.
    We had exactly the same last year with the neighbour on the corner building a new house. And I have to say that they kept everything in check and got the job done very efficiently and built a fabulous house in very good time.
    These things are part of life and living in a neighbourhood, it will be over and done with and everyone will get on with their lives during it and afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Well, that's out of your control anyway, any one of the houses on the street could become a rental in the future.

Yep, should've said prefer neighbors who take pride in the property they live in, owner or renter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Yep, should've said prefer neighbors who take pride in the property they live in, owner or renter.

I getcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

On the flip side, if you have bad neighbours who own their property, it's impossible to get rid of them unless they sell up and move of their own volition. Bad renters on the other hand, can be evicted by their landlord if there is a valid reason such as anti social behaviour that the neighbours have complained about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP I would not be concerned. It sounds like the person building the houses lives in the house currently. They will want to make life pleasant for them while a house is being built next store to them. They will want a somewhat decent house built next store to them too.

I would be more concerned with a neighbour buying a house to gut it. It can go on as long as building a new house but worse as they might be at it 24/7.

Advertisement