Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm carrying

• 10-03-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

What is the law in Ireland on carrying a firearm ? As when going duck shooting I have to walk 5 minutes from my car to my boat which is on a public quay ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

AFAIK when carrying it in public, let's say where you obviously won't be shooting, the firearms must be covered but in sight ie a gun slip etc. Having said that it must not be concealed upon your body.
    I have used various light weight slips over the years to cover my firearms while out and about. These range from large fishing rod covers to very light weight rifle slips that roll up into your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

AFAIK when carrying it in public, let's say where you obviously won't be shooting, the firearms must be covered but in sight ie a gun slip etc. Having said that it must not be concealed upon your body.
    I have used various light weight slips over the years to cover my firearms while out and about. These range from large fishing rod covers to very light weight rifle slips that roll up into your pocket.

Thanks you. Just wanted to get a bit more knowledge on the matter as i didnt want to risk my licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I was told by a local garda that the worst thing you could do is try to hide a firearm. (eg Wrapping it in a coat or blanket) as someone will see what you are dong and assume you are trying to hide as what you are up to is dodgy.

Store in an obvious gun slip or openly carry.. As long as you are not walking up O O'Connell St or similar and have reason to be carrying then you should be OK.

I carry my rifle along public roads (when walking from hunting grounds to car or from one location to another) slung over my shoulder either open or in a slip.. Never had an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

knipex wrote: »
    I was told by a local garda that the worst thing you could do is try to hide a firearm. (eg Wrapping it in a coat or blanket) as someone will see what you are dong and assume you are trying to hide as what you are up to is dodgy.

Store in an obvious gun slip or openly carry.. As long as you are not walking up O O'Connell St or similar and have reason to be carrying then you should be OK.

I carry my rifle along public roads (when walking from hunting grounds to car or from one location to another) slung over my shoulder either open or in a slip.. Never had an issue

Great advice. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Bigman420 wrote:
    What is the law in Ireland on carrying a firearm ? As when going duck shooting I have to walk 5 minutes from my car to my boat which is on a public quay ?

Break it and walk away, you are obviously going for a shot it's not as if your walking into a service station with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

I had my 308 along the road in the open with a sling over my shoulder, bolt and mag out, so it's not loaded. Full camo jacket and pants on.
    You have a license to use so I don't see a problem with it. Now a bit of sense must be applied as well. You don't go down the high street or into Tesco's with it in plain sight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is no law to say you cannot possess it or it must be covered up, but as Clivej said:
    clivej wrote: »
    Now a bit of sense must be applied as well. You don't go down the high street or into Tesco's with it in plain sight.
    This goes a long way to being legal and not drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.

IOW you are legally allowed to carry it down O'Connel street, but why do it just because you can. It's easier to simply cover it with a slip. Also while you won't be, technically, breaking any firearm law you could be done for something else such as brandishing a firearm in public.

Just use your own best common sense, and you'll be fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I'd also opine that the term "good reason" might be looked at here both in reason to location and possession.

Absolutely.

Taking my 308 for a walk just won't cut it if you're strolling down main street in your Sunday best. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

At boat peir with hunting gear on, decoys ,nets,dog,ect and gun licence not breaking the law in any way all above board,sure some doogooder anti might ring the cops but you are 100% right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Are you required to have your firearms licence on your person while in possession of a firearm?

I know it would be wise but is it a legal requirement?

Yes.

The license is your authorisation to be in possession of, and use, the firearm.

Are you required to have your firearms licence on your person while in possession of a firearm?

The wording on the license says that "paraphrasing here" the person named is authorised to carry etc etc. So I'd say that piece of paper/card is the reason you are allowed to carry the firearm.

If I'm honest I only carry it when I'm away from the immediate area I shoot. I've never been stopped out for a shot. But if you get the wrong copper and he says do you have a license and you say yes, and he asks you for it and you say it's not on me there is a good chance you might be picking it up in the barracks afterwards unless he accepts other proof of identity and has the smarts to check pulse/firearm serial number......alot of hassel there so it's back to collecting it in the barracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There are a few lads who shoot, that live in Cavan town. Have met a pair of them walking down Main Street, heading off with a springer and a pair of broken shotguns.
    No one passes any remarks on them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Cover it, but in an overt way.
    Plenty people out there may make a call if they are not used to seeing hunters with firearms, leads to needless Garda investigations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's a condition on two of my licences that I can't leave the guns unattended in the car so if I am on my way to a competition, do you reckon it would be ok for me to rock into Supermacs for a feed and to use the jacks with my rifles slung over my shoulder?

That'd go down well. :D

Just to follow up on what Cass said, where does it say in legislation that you must carry your firearms licences with you if you have the guns with you? I know it makes sense to have them with you, but is it actually written down in legislation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

ligertigon wrote: »
    ...Plenty people out there may make a call if they are not used to seeing hunters with firearms, leads to needless Garda investigations.

When this does happen, hopefully the gardaí later go back and explain to whoever reported the hunters, that the people with the firearms were good law abiding citizens who are trusted to carry firearms and there's nothing to worry about. Actually, they should be considered less dangerous than many of the cyclists around these days ! :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

garrettod wrote: »
    When this does happen, hopefully the gardaí later go back and explain to whoever reported the hunters, that the people with the firearms were good law abiding citizens who are trusted to carry firearms and there's nothing to worry about. Actually, they should be considered less dangerous than many of the cyclists around these days ! :)

Certainly less dangerous than motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭DogfoxCork

can't believe this is a thread! take common sense pills, that should sort it

BattleCorp wrote: »
    There's a condition on two of my licences that I can't leave the guns unattended in the car so if I am on my way to a competition, do you reckon it would be ok for me to rock into Supermacs for a feed and to use the jacks with my rifles slung over my shoulder?
    That'd go down well alright. Free burgers and then a holiday at the states expense. :D

Sometimes the conditions on licenses are so impractical they beggar belief.
    Just to follow up on what Cass said, where does it say in legislation that you must carry your firearms licences with you if you have the guns with you? I know it makes sense to have them with you, but is it actually written down in legislation?
    I actually don't know. Must try and find it.

However, and i'm putting two and two together, the license is your authorisation to be in possession and to use the firearm(s). Without it you have no authorisation. that much is in the law/legislation. So by simply using your head you know you need a license nad then to have it on you.

Much like a driving license. You should have it on you and it's your authorisation to drive your car (or show you can).

• Advertisement

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    can't believe this is a thread! take common sense pills, that should sort it
    It's easy for everyone born knowing it all. For everyone else the purpose of the forum is to ask, get answers, and educate yourself.

If it bothers you so much then don't read and if that is all you can contribute then don't post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thought this is a great bit of cammo for carrying your guns in public!:PGun_Guitar_Case_To_Love.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Back in the mid 80s my buddy bought a .22 in Nestors in O Connell st limerick city.
    We collected in wrapped in brown paper and then thumbed a lift home.

Advertisement