Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I use to have guest accounts on my F2000 modem - but now they are gone

Options
  • 10-03-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

My F2000 router use to have guest accounts - 1 for 2.4Ghz and 1 for 5Ghz.   This disappeared last week and am not sure how to get these back.  It gave the option of providing internet access to people and not letting them onto my home network - so it was a valuable function that I would like to have back.

Was there a firmware upgrade in the last week ?

Thanks 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

christg wrote: »
    My F2000 router use to have guest accounts - 1 for 2.4Ghz and 1 for 5Ghz.   This disappeared last week and am not sure how to get these back.  It gave the option of providing internet access to people and not letting them onto my home network - so it was a valuable function that I would like to have back.

Thanks 
    There was a firmware update this week, Tuesday or Wednesday night I think, as our internet went at around 12.30am and when it came back it showed a new connection called Eir_WiFi, so that might be the reason your guest connections have disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

christg wrote: »

Thanks 
    Hi  christg,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I would recommend contacting the technical team & querying this with them as it is their area of expertise. You can contact them on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2. 

- Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

This is what I know 

Up to Wednesday March 22, I had 2 guest SSIDs which eir provided as standard on the F1000 and F2000 routers. I use these guest SSIDs to allow visitors access the internet without being able to access my LAN. 

On Wednesday, eir updated the F2000 firmware and in the process they removed the 2 guest SSIDs and added a new SSID eir_WiFi which has a completely different function to the earlier two. eir did not communicate the change before or after the update. The first I knew was when my devices failed to connect to the removed SSIDs.

Last night, I used the eir Chat and the agent told me that I could phone eir Support who would be able to reinstate the missing SSIDs.

Today, I worked with 3 support agents, they restored earlier versions of firmware but could not reinstate the missing SSIDs. Neither can I add them manually because the web interface used to configure them has been removed. The agents agreed that the whole update process had been very  badly handled and that they were not aware that functions would be removed.

The new eir_WiFi is designed to allow eir broadband customers to access eir broadband through any eFibre router in any other eir customer premises giving eir hundreds of thousands of WiFi hotspots.

The function is described in the associated T&Cs https://www.eirmobile.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_wifi_terms_and_conditions.pdf 

eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customers’ homes, using a portion of their Fibre broadband capacity, using a second Service Set Identifier (SSID) . 

Host Customer:
    - All eir Fibre modems will be “eir WiFi enabled” from 4 th October 2016. 
    - Host Customers will not be responsible for usage of the Service made by Guest Customers while the Guest Customers are connected to the Host Customer’s eir Fibre modem. 
    - Availability and security of hosts’ existing eir Fibre service will not be affected. As a host you will not have access to or visibility of the internet traffic of guests connecting to your modem and guests will not have access to or visibility of your internet traffic. 
    - A maximum of 20 guest devices can connect to a host device. 
    - Customer who do not wish to act as a host and have eir WiFi enabled on their modem can opt out of this service via My eir portal. 
    - Customers who do not wish to act as host for the purposes of the Guest WiFi Service, can avail of the eir WiFi in other eir households where the eir WiFi service is active. 
    - These terms and conditions are in addition to the eir Broadband Terms and Conditions and to eir’s General Terms and Conditions on www.eir.ie 

Guest Customer
    - eir WiFi is a free Wi-Fi service applicable to all compatible eir customers 
    - Customers can connect as a Guest to the internet seamlessly to other Host eir Fibre modems when within WiFi reach of that modem 
    - Customer can register for and avail of the eir WiFi service via the My eir portal 
    - A maximum of 5 devices can use a single one eir WiFi user name and password to access the internet simultaneously via one or more Host customers modem 
    - 3MB Download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download broadband width across all guest customers i.e. not per Guest 

I am told that from Monday March 27, there will be a function on the My eir web page to allow customers disable the eir_WiFi on their own router. 

Unfortunately, I don’t expect that eir will reinstate the guest WiFi function which I have had on my F1000 and F2000 routers for the past 3 years and which was removed without warning this week. It appears I will need to install a new access point (AP) to provide the guest function and that this will not separate guests from my LAN.

Does anybody know anything further ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

pg17 wrote: »
    This is what I know 

Up to Wednesday March 22, I had 2 guest SSIDs which eir provided as standard on the F1000 and F2000 routers. I use these guest SSIDs to allow visitors access the internet without being able to access my LAN. 

On Wednesday, eir updated the F2000 firmware and in the process they removed the 2 guest SSIDs and added a new SSID eir_WiFi which has a completely different function to the earlier two. eir did not communicate the change before or after the update. The first I knew was when my devices failed to connect to the removed SSIDs.

Last night, I used the eir Chat and the agent told me that I could phone eir Support who would be able to reinstate the missing SSIDs.

Today, I worked with 3 support agents, they restored earlier versions of firmware but could not reinstate the missing SSIDs. Neither can I add them manually because the web interface used to configure them has been removed. The agents agreed that the whole update process had been very  badly handled and that they were not aware that functions would be removed.

The new eir_WiFi is designed to allow eir broadband customers to access eir broadband through any eFibre router in any other eir customer premises giving eir hundreds of thousands of WiFi hotspots.

The function is described in the associated T&Cs https://www.eirmobile.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_wifi_terms_and_conditions.pdf 

eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customers’ homes, using a portion of their Fibre broadband capacity, using a second Service Set Identifier (SSID) . 

Host Customer:
    - All eir Fibre modems will be “eir WiFi enabled” from 4 th October 2016. 
    - Host Customers will not be responsible for usage of the Service made by Guest Customers while the Guest Customers are connected to the Host Customer’s eir Fibre modem. 
    - Availability and security of hosts’ existing eir Fibre service will not be affected. As a host you will not have access to or visibility of the internet traffic of guests connecting to your modem and guests will not have access to or visibility of your internet traffic. 
    - A maximum of 20 guest devices can connect to a host device. 
    - Customer who do not wish to act as a host and have eir WiFi enabled on their modem can opt out of this service via My eir portal. 
    - Customers who do not wish to act as host for the purposes of the Guest WiFi Service, can avail of the eir WiFi in other eir households where the eir WiFi service is active. 
    - These terms and conditions are in addition to the eir Broadband Terms and Conditions and to eir’s General Terms and Conditions on www.eir.ie 

Guest Customer
    - eir WiFi is a free Wi-Fi service applicable to all compatible eir customers 
    - Customers can connect as a Guest to the internet seamlessly to other Host eir Fibre modems when within WiFi reach of that modem 
    - Customer can register for and avail of the eir WiFi service via the My eir portal 
    - A maximum of 5 devices can use a single one eir WiFi user name and password to access the internet simultaneously via one or more Host customers modem 
    - 3MB Download and 1MB upload bandwidth is available for Guest users. This is the total aggregate allocation of upload and download broadband width across all guest customers i.e. not per Guest 

I am told that from Monday March 27, there will be a function on the My eir web page to allow customers disable the eir_WiFi on their own router. 

Unfortunately, I don’t expect that eir will reinstate the guest WiFi function which I have had on my F1000 and F2000 routers for the past 3 years and which was removed without warning this week. It appears I will need to install a new access point (AP) to provide the guest function and that this will not separate guests from my LAN.

Does anybody know anything further ?
    Hi pg17,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I do apologise for the delay in reply. I am having a look into this for you and I will touch base with you with a resolution to this shortly. 

Thanks,
    Leanne.

Hi pg17,

We need your details to have a further look into this with our technical support team. Can you please PM me your account number and your full name. I really do apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Leanne.

• Advertisement

Hi pg17,

We need your details to have a further look into this with our technical support team. Can you please PM me your account number and your full name. I really do apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Leanne.
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

We've the same issue at two of our premises, both business accounts, so I suppose this means it is widespread. We always relied on this feature to keep our network secure and are disappointed that it would be stopped with no notification. Any updates on this appreciated as a matter of urgency as we have to either remove guest wifi access or compromise our network.

Hi summereire,

Thank you for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear this. 

If you would like to PM me your full name and account number and I will have a further look into this for you.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

Hi summereire,

Thank you for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear this. 

If you would like to PM me your full name and account number and I will have a further look into this for you.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 
    I send you a PM- Thanks

Hi summereire,

Thank you for that, I will check my PM's now.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Any updates on  this ? My guest network is gone as well and now have a wifi network in my house i can neither access or switch off.

Leanna replied to my PM simply confirming the problem that I had, that the networks are gone. I replied asking for more details but haven't heard back yet. This really calls for an announcement beforehand from Eir rather than knocking so many users offline. We are a business with more than one account and relied on this service. And at least at this point a statement should be issued rather than us needing to individually make contact- if it's a system-wide change making contact is wasting our time as well as Eir's so no-one wins.

I contacted tech support and it does seem that its gone and only solution is bridge the modem and use your own, as if you get another F2000 with guest network it will then get updated firmware and guest account will go.

Hi All,

The recent firmware upgrade for the F2000 removed the Guest Wifi network and replaced it with the eir Wifi service. This service allows eir Customers to use these guest networks using their My eir credentials to log in.

For customers who do not want to avail of the eir Wifi service, we can offer an alternative firmware that will reinstate the configurable Guest Wifi Network, however, the eir F2000 modem will no longer support eir WiFi and VoBB functionality. This Firmware change will take 2-3 Working Days to complete and none of these changes will have any effect on your standard wifi network.

Our broadband technical support team will be more than happy to assist you with reinstating the configurable Guest Wifi Network. You can contact them directly on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,
    Pamela

Thanks for the information about reinstating the configurable Guest Wifi Network on the F2000 router/modem. That is good news for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

That's no problem pg17.

Please feel free to get back in touch with us if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi Anna,
    Tech support are saying firmware can't be downgraded, or if it is it will upgrade again. Can you confirm this one way or the other as I appear to be getting completely different facts from tech support about this.
    Thanks 

Hi raytaxi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are able to downgrade the eir F2000 modem, however, doing this will no longer support eir WiFi and VoBB functionality.

This Firmware change will take 2-3 Working Days to complete and none of these changes will have any effect on your standard wifi network.

Our broadband technical support team will be more than happy to assist you with reinstating the configurable Guest Wifi Network. You can contact them directly on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 option 2.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi Anna 
    Was on phone to tech support for over 30 minutes who said it couldn't be done, and it would re-update even if it was done.So they would not do it. Would you have a name of who to contact in support about this, in fairness to the person I was talking to he had me on hold few times while he checked what could be done. 
    Thanks 

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a contact for you in technical support.

I do apologise.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Hi Anna and Pamela, can you please escalate this to the board as a matter of priority. In brief:

1) A service that we rely on on multiple business accounts (guest network) was removed suddenly
    2) No notice was given of this change and support staff were not aware of how to respond
    3) We were told nothing could be done about it and it was a permanent change
    4) We were then told that, if technical support was contacted, the firmware could be rolled back
    5) As it stand it appears that technical support are refusing to or unable to roll it back despite us being told otherwise

Can we please request a definitive statement from the board on this matter from someone who has investigated this with the relevant departments and advice on what is in fact the case.

I will look into this further for you summereire.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

-Anna

summereire wrote: »
    Hi Anna and Pamela, can you please escalate this to the board as a matter of priority. In brief:

1) A service that we rely on on multiple business accounts (guest network) was removed suddenly
    2) No notice was given of this change and support staff were not aware of how to respond
    4) We were then told that, if technical support was contacted, the firmware could be rolled back
    5) As it stand it appears that technical support are refusing to or unable to roll it back despite us being told otherwise

Can we please request a definitive statement from the board on this matter from someone who has investigated this with the relevant departments and advice on what is in fact the case.
    Could you please PM me your full name and account number please?

Thanks,
    Ann

Hi summereire,

I've checked with Anna & we don't seem to have received your PM yet.  

This is something we would really like to help you with and sincere apologies for any confusion caused. Our technical team can arrange to downgrade the eir F2000 modem and this will restore your guest network. This Firmware change will take 2-3 Working Days to complete and none of these changes will have any effect on your standard wifi network. 

If you can PM me your full name and account number and I would be more than happy to liaise with our technical team to have this arranged for you.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

raytaxi wrote: »
    Hi Anna 
    Was on phone to tech support for over 30 minutes who said it couldn't be done, and it would re-update even if it was done.So they would not do it. Would you have a name of who to contact in support about this, in fairness to the person I was talking to he had me on hold few times while he checked what could be done. 
    Thanks 
    Hi  raytaxi,

If you could PM me your full name & account number I would be more than happy to liaise with the technical support team to arrange this for you.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

Hi summereire,

I've checked with Anna & we don't seem to have received your PM yet.  

This is something we would really like to help you with and sincere apologies for any confusion caused. Our technical team can arrange to downgrade the eir F2000 modem and this will restore your guest network. This Firmware change will take 2-3 Working Days to complete and none of these changes will have any effect on your standard wifi network. 

If you can PM me your full name and account number and I would be more than happy to liaise with our technical team to have this arranged for you.

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela, yes I sent that information over before when I first got in touch. I can do so again now.

That's no problem at all.

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement