Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are the Irish navy recusing Islamic State Terrorist in the Med

Options
  • 10-03-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I seen recently read in a new paper that the Irish navy were involved in recusing Individuals in the med. These so called Refugees where men of fighting age. They were pulled from the sea and ended up in Germany. They were gather up in a morning raid on suspected terror charges. They were noted to have been saved by the Irish navy when there boat turn over.

I know the navy is not a really navy like Uk, USA. Russia etc

But what business has it recusing IS terrorist encouraging them to come to Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

thejourney wrote: »
    I seen recently read in a new paper that the Irish navy were involved in recusing Individuals in the med. These so called Refugees where men of fighting age. They were pulled from the sea and ended up in Germany. They were gather up in a morning raid on suspected terror charges. They were noted to have been saved by the Irish navy when there boat turn over.

But what business has it recusing IS terrorist encouraging them to come to Europe?

Drowning people don't have much time to fill in forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Are you sure they weren't just mentally unstable?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭thejourney

Drowning people don't have a much time to fill in forms

And thats there excuse :confused:? So why are they not bring them back to a port in North Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And thats there excuse :confused:? So why are they not bring them back to a port in North Africa
    Because Libya is fundamentally unstable and there is inter-ethnic fighting. Returning them to a port could result in innocent people being killed.

However, move are afoot to allow foreign navies to operate in Libyan waters, thereby depriving the smugglers of an operating area.

why are the Irish navy recusing Islamic State Terrorist in the Med
    Do you mean "rescue" - a very different word?
    I seen recently read in a new paper
    Link?
    that the Irish navy were involved in recusing Individuals in the med.
    Rescuing tens of thousands of people, yes. And you think a handful might have terrorist connections?
    How did the Naval Service encourage them to to come to Europe?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean "rescue" - a very different word?

Link?

Rescuing tens of thousands of people, yes. And you think a handful might have terrorist connections?

How did the Naval Service encourage them to to come to Europe?

Legally they do not have to rescue them. So why get involved:confused: They went there on purpose to rescue them, who sent them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Legally they do not have to rescue them. So why get involved:confused: They went there on purpose to rescue them, who sent them?!

Legally they most certainly DO have to.

Here is why.

Ireland is a democracy.
    As you no doubt understand, this means that we have a Government elected by the majority of voters. The defense forces do not take it into their heads to just sail off to the med for a bit of rescue. They were ORDERED by the minister to go.

So, full circle and back to yourself. Address your indignation to your elected representative.

BTW, my own personal opinion is that I don't agree with how the entire situation is being handled and , yes, I have contacted 3 local representatives.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Legally they most certainly DO have to.

Here is why.

Ireland is a democracy.
    As you no doubt understand, this means that we have a Government elected by the majority of voters. The defense forces do not take it into their heads to just sail off to the med for a bit of rescue. They were ORDERED by the minister to go.

So, full circle and back to yourself. Address your indignation to your elected representative.

BTW, my own personal opinion is that I don't agree with how the entire situation is being handled and , yes, I have contacted 3 local representatives.

Thanks for the answer.

No Minster should have made that order, without the backing of the house.

What next , Send the irish army to sudan :confused:

The army should be independent of the government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Thanks for the answer.

WTF???

Also the Daíl has discussed the deployment on many occasions, can't think of any party/TD that has objected to rescuing people.
    And also yes every ship has a legal requirement to come to the aid of those in distress at see.

sparky42 wrote: »
    WTF???

There are independent in many countries all over the world

Turkey etc

• Advertisement

Turkey etc

No, no they aren't.
    Forgive me but what age are you?

No, no they aren't.
    Forgive me but what age are you?

Older that you sparky

Yes, they are.

Research it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turkey etc

Er do you think that because part of the Turkish Army attempted a coup a little while ago?

Any army that was independent of the state wouldn't be an Army, it would be an insurgency

I think you'll find there was support.
    Why would we do that?
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Army is far from independent in Turkey.
    Your statement would have true with the foundations of the state of Turkey but in recent times & especially since the failed coup, the president & army are one in the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just checked this fellas history, he must hold a record for greatest % of started threads that get locked - this one will soon join them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Older that you sparky

Yes, they are.

Research it :rolleyes:

I think you need to research more instead of telling others to.

Your posts are completely illinformed and off the mark.

Victor wrote: »
    I think you'll find there was support.

Why would we do that?

What?

Do you have the vote in the house?

Never happened

Government making military commands

Government making military commands

Does an Army declare war on another nation, or does the Government?

Militaries are not "independent" of their Governments, the Government tells them what to do, and then (ideally) leaves it up to the military to carry out the operation.

Older that you sparky

If you are, then you are remarkable ill educated imo with what you have posted.

• Advertisement

If you are, then you are remarkable ill educated imo with what you have posted.

Far from Ill educated. haha But you keep thinking that ;)

I'd suspect you're sparky, working away. Thinking guys like me are dumb and the likes

Thats what I love about this country

Far from Ill educated. haha But you keep thinking that ;)

I'd suspect you're sparky, working away. Thinking guys like me are dumb and the likes

Thats what I love about this country

Looks at your posts here, yeah "thinking guys":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

International Maritime Law
    The shipmaster has an obligation to render assistance to those in distress at sea without regard to their nationality, status or the circumstances in which they are found. This is a longstanding maritime tradition as well as an
    obligation enshrined in international law. Compliance with this obligation is essential to preserve the integrity of maritime search and rescue services. It is based on, inter alia, two essential texts: UNCLOS and SOLAS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I just checked this fellas history, he must hold a record for greatest % of started threads that get locked - this one will soon join them.
    I have to admit to a morbid curiosity as to where this would go.

Anyway...

[Mod]OK journey. The essence of your question has been answered. If you want to debate the merits of bringing rescuees to the EU, and the use of our military to do it, hop on over to Politics. [/Mod]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement