Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this freehub fooled?

Options
  • 10-03-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

This is a Fulcrum Quattro wheel, not 6 months old and is this safe to use or do I need a new freehub?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your thread title certainly fooled me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What's wrong with it? Dents in the splines? If so, that's quite common and shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It's fine. Not ideal, but not unusual. I would lightly greased it before putting the cassette back on .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cassette was a bitch to get off and wasn't sure about getting it back on without forcing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »
    Cassette was a bitch to get off and wasn't sure about getting it back on without forcing too much.

Light rub of a file to get the roughest burrs off won't do any harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

You're putting out too much power. Ease up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    You're putting out too much power. Ease up.

Clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

Splines are made from a soft enough material, you can get heavier metal ones (usually on cheaper wheels) but they'd add to weight of wheels.
    Should be fine, removing the cassette itself will remove some of the burrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It's a well known and largely inevitable consequence of steel cassettes on aluminium freehub bodies. It only happens on the individual sprockets, not on the innermost ones which are frequently bound together to move as a single block.

And of course the reason the individual sprockets are hard to remove is because they are buried in the freehub so you have to dis-engage them before you can slide them off, which can be tricky. Using two chainwhips rotated in opposite directions can help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Doesn't it cause problems with shifting if some cogs are offset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Alek wrote: »
    Doesn't it cause problems with shifting if some cogs are offset?

It certainly would if the cogs were offset enough, but whenever I've encountered a freehub body where single cogs had dug in I didn't notice any appreciable difference (either such movement is well within the margin of error, or I'm broken ...I'm going with the former).

Advertisement