Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I rebuild??

• 10-03-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice or any words of wisdom. I recently bought myself a cheap 2K Honda Hornet 600 to get myself in and out of a new job I started recently. Now the bike was cheap for a reason, the previous owner had treated it like poop and it was in bad need of some TLC. I had previously owned a Hornet 600 about 15 years ago and I can honestly say that I had the most fun I ever had on 2 wheels on that bike, so maybe it was nostalgia that made me buy the one I have now.

I've already freshened it up a little bit, new chain and sprockets, new rad, brake calliper rebuild. But it's the engine that's really tearing me apart. It sounds and feels nothing like the one I had 15 years ago, a bit groggy, almost like the choke isn't fully off. So that's why the idea of an engine rebuild is floating around my head.

Has any one got any advice or experience of a rebuild they did themselves? I'm no mechanic but I'm competent enough and can follow a manual.

Would I really see any benefits to the bikes running after a rebuild or should I just accept the fact it's a 17 year old bike and just ride it until it finally gives up?

How long would a rebuild take and would I need to budget for anything? (Parts) bare in mind I don't really want to blow the bank account as it's mostly gonna ex used to get in and out of work.

Honestly guys, any advice is massively appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'd say do the basics first.

Check the breathing: make sure the air filter is OK and that the airbox seals and the rubbers between the airbox and throttle bodies/carbs are all good.

Make sure the fueling is OK. Set the float heights and check the jets.

Do a compression check and measure the valve clearances.

You may find that it is purely a maintenance issue, as opposed to a something fundamental that would require a rebuild.

Jets, needles and emulsion tubes wear and make carburation fluffy. Check the plug colour too, to see if it is running rich of lean.

Tight or loose valves could also be an issue, where you lose compression, giving you rough running too.

There are lots of things you can do before you would consider a full rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

+1 Compression test first..check coils .plugs too...you will probably find its something simple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

As mentioned, check all of the other stuff before you go near the engine. It should really be your last port of call unless your 100% sure that it is where your problems are originating.

If you do go ahead with a rebuild be prepared to have the bike off the road for a couple of weeks. Things rarely go back together perfectly, especially on your first attempt so give yourself a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice or any words of wisdom. I recently bought myself a cheap 2K Honda Hornet 600 to get myself in and out of a new job I started recently. Now the bike was cheap for a reason, the previous owner had treated it like poop and it was in bad need of some TLC. I had previously owned a Hornet 600 about 15 years ago and I can honestly say that I had the most fun I ever had on 2 wheels on that bike, so maybe it was nostalgia that made me buy the one I have now.

I've already freshened it up a little bit, new chain and sprockets, new rad, brake calliper rebuild. But it's the engine that's really tearing me apart. It sounds and feels nothing like the one I had 15 years ago, a bit groggy, almost like the choke isn't fully off. So that's why the idea of an engine rebuild is floating around my head.

Has any one got any advice or experience of a rebuild they did themselves? I'm no mechanic but I'm competent enough and can follow a manual.

Would I really see any benefits to the bikes running after a rebuild or should I just accept the fact it's a 17 year old bike and just ride it until it finally gives up?

How long would a rebuild take and would I need to budget for anything? (Parts) bare in mind I don't really want to blow the bank account as it's mostly gonna ex used to get in and out of work.

Honestly guys, any advice is massively appreciated.

Cheers

If you are doing a rebuild and not budgeting for parts then all you are doing is taking it apart and putting it back together with the same issues, granted everything will be nice and clean but the worn out parts will still be worn out. There's no point in taking apart an engine if you aren't going to replace all the bearings and other wear items, have you access to the required equipment for pulling and reseating bearings?

If it's your bike for commuting and you've never rebuild an engine it's going to be down for several days at best and could be longer when you reach a proprietary bolt or nut. Garages make a fortune from people taking apart vehicles thinking that they can fix it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

As others have said, try a compression test...also, coils / plugs / air filter / oil / oil filter...try all those.

Next I'd consider the valves; definitely they'd need some adjustment if never looked at, I'd say. Not for the faint of heart, mind you.

Buy a Haynes and figure out what you'd need.

Personally, I wouldn't re-build an engine, if my goal was to save money... probably be quicker and cheaper to just buy a new or reconditioned one!

• Advertisement

If you do it and he engine is running now, your defo gona have to replace all the crank bearings and the piston ring, possible piston. None of them are particularly expensive, if you need to replace other stuff is where it gets expensive but the fact get it is running it doesn't sound like you are gona find huge destruction in there.

Advertisement