Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moped advice

• 10-03-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38 nollers

Howdy. Just looking for a bit of advice please. Does anyone have any experience with either of these mopeds as I'm trying to decide which one to buy:

1999 Suzuki AE 50
    2007 Suzuki Katana AY 50

Cheers

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

nollers wrote: »
    Howdy. Just looking for a bit of advice please. Does anyone have any experience with either of these mopeds as I'm trying to decide which one to buy:

1999 Suzuki AE 50
    2007 Suzuki Katana AY 50

Cheers

ehh, wouldn't really go for any but if I had to pick either of the two id go for the katana

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nollers

ehh, wouldn't really go for any but if I had to pick either of the two id go for the katana

I have read a few bad reviews about the katana alright. It's the AY R so it's liquid cooled which I think might cause it problems. I've had an aprilia in the past and it was fairly decent.
    Any particular peds you would recommend?Have about €1000 to spend. Another one I spotted was 2003 MBK Ovetto??

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

I have read a few bad reviews about the katana alright. It's the AY R so it's liquid cooled which I think might cause it problems. I've had an aprilia in the past and it was fairly decent.
    Any particular peds you would recommend?Have about €1000 to spend. Another one I spotted was 2003 MBK Ovetto??

well as I said I wouldn't touch either of them but if I had too it would be the kat.
    the aprilias are good, I use to own one years ago, good craic :)
    would ya not just go get your A licence?
    not mad on the ovetto's either tho

well as I said I wouldn't touch either of them but if I had too it would be the kat.
    the aprilias are good, I use to own one years ago, good craic :)
    would ya not just go get your A licence?
    not mad on the ovetto's either tho

Don't really need a bigger bike as it's only for driving about 8k each day to work. Have the car for longer journeys. I will keep hunting. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

For reliability you can't go wrong with the Yamaha neos (same thing as the mbk ovetto). Never mind the year, low mileage and condition are the two main considerations. Had one for years, used every day on a 6 mile city commute and never had a problem. Sold it to a Polish lad 2 years ago and still see it around town.

• Advertisement

For reliability you can't go wrong with the Yamaha neos (same thing as the mbk ovetto). Never mind the year, low mileage and condition are the two main considerations. Had one for years, used every day on a 6 mile city commute and never had a problem. Sold it to a Polish lad 2 years ago and still see it around town.

The one I am looking at has 15,000 on the clock. Looks in decent shape from the pics

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/mbk-ovetto-blue-2003-49c-great-condition/14778446

15k is big mileage on a 50cc 2 stroke, I wouldn't go near that. The likes of this one would be much better, if the mileage is genuine;
    https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/yamaha-neos-50cc/14924154

15k is huge mileage on a 50cc 2 stroke, I wouldn't go near that. The likes of this one would be much better, if the mileage is genuine;

I was thinking that about the mileage alright. That neos looks great alright. Shame it's up in Dublin as I'm in Wexford

15k is big mileage on a 50cc 2 stroke, I wouldn't go near that. The likes of this one would be much better, if the mileage is genuine;

I see the mileage on this one has changed to 25,000

Any opinions on this fella? Keyway Matrix 2010

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/moped-50cc/14936582

• Advertisement

Chinese. Stick with well known brands.

I see the mileage on this one has changed to 25,000

I see the ad is gone!

Chinese. Stick with well known brands.

Right so. Still hunting

Take your time. Dont rush out and buy the first one you see.

True. I looked at a Katana today 2007. Looked ok but had 15k on clock and I see that they only have electric starter.

I appreciate your help by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

OP, you're in wexford? Is your commute in a town/city? Because a 50cc will be terrible not to mention unsafe if you're going to drive it on national roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I bought a Honda X8R-X 50cc as my first run around in 2003.

She was a 1999 reg with 5000 miles on the clock.

A lady owner used it for the 15 minute each way daily commute to work.

It cost me 1350e and can honestly say I loved it.

Very cheap to run as well, around 7/8 euro a week, almost 2 tanks of petrol for the time.

I eventually sold it in 2005 with 17000 on the clock.

colm_c wrote: »
    OP, you're in wexford? Is your commute in a town/city? Because a 50cc will be terrible not to mention unsafe if you're going to drive it on national roads.

Wexford Town yes. It's a 6 k commute over and back to work. 60km speed limit on roads I'll be using so should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wexford Town yes. It's a 6 k commute over and back to work. 60km speed limit on roads I'll be using so should be fine

A moped is restricted to 45km/h so 60 roads could be dodgy, make sure that you keep out of the gutter.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    A moped is restricted to 45km/h so 60 roads could be dodgy, make sure that you keep out of the gutter.

The first 4k is through town and the last 2k is 60 km. So should be ok. Driven mopeds in the past so I will be careful

The first 4k is through town and the last 2k is 60 km. So should be ok. Driven mopeds in the past so I will be careful

Whatever one you get just de restrict it and it will easily do 60kmh, safer for you and other road users. Loads of guides on the net

Whatever one you get just de restrict it and it will easily do 60kmh, safer for you and other road users. Loads of guides on the net

Yeah I see that. If they have a modified looking exhaust in pics is that an indication of it being de restricted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then it's not a moped!

Yeah I see that. If they have a modified looking exhaust in pics is that an indication of it being de restricted ?

Not necessarily but it would be unusual for someone to go to the effort of changing the exhaust if they hadn't derestricted the bike. On some of them the exhaust is part of the restriction

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then it's not a moped!

Not this **** again, cry me a river. Go and report him to the police for derestricting it. My bike has numerous mods i haven't declared, report me while your at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Del2005 wrote:
    Then it's not a moped!

Not an issue unless the op only has the m category on their license

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rorytr

is it possible for an 18 year old boy with a provisional licence to get insurance on an 50cc. Got quoted €4000 for a 993cc 2008 corsa today !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Cant go wrong with Honda
    If I was looking for a city commuter id go with this.... http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/125cc/msx125-2016/overview.html

Advertisement