Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moped advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Del2005 wrote: »
    A moped is restricted to 45km/h so 60 roads could be dodgy, make sure that you keep out of the gutter.

+1
    Thats the EU for you. In Germany they sell even scooter/mopeds restricted to 25 kph. Totally unsafe imo.
    Afaik 90s mopeds are a bit faster as the regulation came in 2001/2002 into place.

I initially wanted to buy a moped for commuting as well. Thank god I didnt as lots of car drivers see you as an obstacle and try to overtake you in unsafe places.
    With a 600 cc motorbike you pull away from lights and tailgaters in no time.
    Even a 250cc yamaha xmax scooter is quite nippy if you dont like bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Suzuki Burgman AN 400....will sit at 85-90mph no problem.
    Big comfy scooter and plenty of storage space onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nollers

Evening all. Does anyone have any experience with Benzhou mopeds. I know they are Chinese and some Chinese bikes have a bad reputation but Benzhou seem to be a tier one manufacturer and make some parts for Honda etc.
    Anyone have any dealings with any of their bikes?

nollers wrote: »
    Evening all. Does anyone have any experience with Benzhou mopeds. I know they are Chinese and some Chinese bikes have a bad reputation but Benzhou seem to be a tier one manufacturer and make some parts for Honda etc.
    Anyone have any dealings with any of their bikes?

Dont have any experience but there is no tiers for chinese bikes, they are all rubbish and depreciate at a ridiculous rate if you are thinking about buying new.

They may well make parts for honda etc, but they would be using honda patents built to honda specifications etc just in a factory in china. Their own stuff would be made to their own spec which would be alot lower, there is a reason they are cheaper.

Dont have any experience but there is no tiers for chinese bikes, they are all rubbish and depreciate at a ridiculous rate if you are thinking about buying new.

They may well make parts for honda etc, but they would be using honda patents built to honda specifications etc just in a factory in china. Their own stuff would be made to their own spec which would be alot lower, there is a reason they are cheaper.

Thanks for that advice. I have been doing a bit of research and it's hard to reach a conclusion. Here is a bit of what I found:

Tier 1 are manufacturers that make their own engines and drive trains. These manufacturers also have distribution centers and dealership networks in North America (sometimes under various brand names. Brands in Tier 1 are usually a bit more expensive but more reliable to own. Brands such as Linhai (they build Yamaha), TOMOS (they are made by SYM who are a Taiwanese manufacturer of very high quality scoots), Benzhou (Can be found under their name or in Canada under the name of Saga...) and Znen (both Znen and Benzhou make parts for Honda, Pulse and Lexmoto are examples of Tier 1 scoots.

Some examples of Tier 2 scoots are Rocketta, Wildfire, Boation, Tank, and Chironex. These makes are supported by local distributors but each model may come from a different supplier in China.

This is the bike I am looking at:
    It's a 4 stroke air cooled 50cc.

http://touch.adverts.ie/scooters/scooter/12473479

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I googled "Fribit Champion scooter" and found absolutely nothing, so much for your dealer support network

I googled "Fribit Champion scooter" and found absolutely nothing, so much for your dealer support network

I did the same and found nothing. It is however registered as a Yiying QT50 -10. I think the fribit champion is just a sticker that's on the bike. The bike can be seen on the Benzhou website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Looking at adverts, id rather this... http://touch.adverts.ie/scooters/vespa/12530584
    tried and true, full of character, and patriotic to boot :)

Looking at adverts, id rather this... http://touch.adverts.ie/scooters/vespa/12530584

True. A bit out of my price range though. I'm going to look at two suzuki katanas at the weekend with low miles so I'll see what they are like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not this **** again, cry me a river. Go and report him to the police for derestricting it. My bike has numerous mods i haven't declared, report me while your at it.

There's a big difference to undeclared mods, where the insurance company will only cover the 3rd party, and ridding with no licence. The OP may as well ride a ride a proper bike if they are going to ignore the licencing laws.

• Advertisement

I did the same and found nothing. It is however registered as a Yiying QT50 -10. I think the fribit champion is just a sticker that's on the bike. The bike can be seen on the Benzhou website

IIRC all Chinese bikes are made by contractors and the importer owns the brand. So even 2 bikes of the same brand and model name could be made by completely different manufacturers and to different standards, so
    parts could be difficult to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You need a full bike licence to ride that Vespa - you can't ride it on a moped licence.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

IIRC all Chinese bikes are made by contractors and the importer owns the brand. So even 2 bikes of the same brand and model name could be made by completely different manufacturers and to different standards, so
    parts could be difficult to find.

The engine on the one I'm looking at is the 139QMB which has the same configuration as the Honda GY6 engine so parts should be ok to source. It's brand new with only 100km on the clock. I'm very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

My one bit of advice, and its only my opinion: Don't touch a Chinese bike with a bargepole. In 10 years maybe, but at the moment they're the equivalent of the Japanese in the 40's/50's, copying brit yokes and eventually bettering them. Their bikes will be good, but not just yet.

My one bit of advice, and its only my opinion: Don't touch a Chinese bike with a bargepole. In 10 years maybe, but at the moment they're the equivalent of the Japanese in the 40's/50's, copying brit yokes and eventually bettering them. Their bikes will be good, but not just yet.

I have two katanas to look at at the weekend. It's difficult to find a decent 50cc at the moment

I have two katanas to look at at the weekend. It's difficult to find a decent 50cc at the moment

Because they are usually ridden flat out all the time, which is never good for anything. Is there a reason you are set on a moped? Because you would have much better options if you could go bigger, as the Yanks would say "There's no replacement for displacement"

Because they are usually ridden flat out all the time, which is never good for anything. Is there a reason you are set on a moped? Because you would have much better options if you could go bigger, as the Yanks would say "There's no replacement for displacement"

Only have a moped licence (full car licence) and it's too expensive to do the imbt stuff. It's only a means to get over and back to work (8k) so my wife can have the car

Thanks for all your advice in relation to Chinese mopeds. I've decided against going for that one I was thinking of. I'm getting an 08 Katana 2mo with 4,000 on the clock. Wish me luck

Thanks for all your advice in relation to Chinese mopeds. I've decided against going for that one I was thinking of. I'm getting an 08 Katana 2mo with 4,000 on the clock. Wish me luck

Evening all. So the suzuki fell through folks. Still hunting at the moment. Any opinions on the following 2. Both different but within budget.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/last-drop-price-mbk-ovetto-blue-2003-49c/15146923

https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/honda-sky-classic-50cc-scooter/15169018

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

nollers wrote:
    Only have a moped licence (full car licence) and it's too expensive to do the imbt stuff. It's only a means to get over and back to work (8k) so my wife can have the car

You should really save for the Ibt. On that licence, you're restricted to 45km/hr so will have to have any 50cc restricted. Once you do ibt, remove restrictors and you'll get about 80km which means you can keep up with traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You should really save for the Ibt. On that licence, you're restricted to 45km/hr so will have to have any 50cc restricted. Once you do ibt, remove restrictors and you'll get about 80km which means you can keep up with traffic

one query here i only have the AM licence too ,

does that mean i restricted to automatics?

i tried to insure a 50cc manual suzuki and the insurance co said they could not cover me on it as its not an auto box?

is this a common occourance and am i legally stuck with auto 50ccs despite me having the full AM for over 15yrs almost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

davycc wrote: »
    one query here i only have the AM licence too ,

does that mean i restricted to automatics?

i tried to insure a 50cc manual suzuki and the insurance co said they could not cover me on it as its not an auto box?

is this a common occourance and am i legally stuck with auto 50ccs despite me having the full AM for over 15yrs almost

M is an Moped, AFAIK they all are under 50cc and auto, never seen a manual Moped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

colm_c wrote: »
    M is an Moped, AFAIK they all are under 50cc and auto, never seen a manual Moped.

thanks i think some older honda 50s are 3 speed manuals afik.

im confused as the website quoted me on a manual 50cc suzuki and they day i went to collect it/insure it the operator told me they could not as it was a manual!:(

fecking quinn direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

davycc wrote: »
    colm_c wrote: »

thanks i think some older honda 50s are 3 speed manuals afik.

im confused as the website quoted me on a manual 50cc suzuki and they day i went to collect it/insure it the operator told me they could not as it was a manual!:(

fecking quinn direct

Honda 50 is semi-automatic. Gears but no clutch lever.

The Honda 50 is about the only 50cc that would be manual / semi auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

tbh I wouldn't really worry what type of moped it is (excl the chinese ones). If its in decent shape and good tyres and service history etc and is a decent price then just go for it. If anything does go wrong on a moped they're usually cheap enough to fix.

Had a 03 gilera a few years back - they're a decent bike to be fair... never gave an ounce of trouble

Howdy again. So i finally got a moped. Got an 04 Yamaha aerox. Have a bit of bother with it now though. It was lying up for a while when i got it a month ago and i haven't used it much yet. Was out on it last week though and it keeps losing power when i accelerate (bogs down). Changed spark and emptied fuel tank and cleaned petcock and fuel filter. Should i look at the carb next?
    Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Hi,
    Could be a number of things really.
      Dirty fuel - Water in petrol tank. Take off the
    1. petrol tank, make sure the filter inside it is clear.
    2. Blocked airbox/air filter. Take off the air filter and see what condition it's in. Have a look for cracked pipes going to from airbox/engine.
    3. If the engine is revving but the bike isn't going forward as it should, would more than likely be a problem with variator or roller bearings.

Cheers,

Magown3 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Could be a number of things really.
      Dirty fuel - Water in petrol tank. Take off the
    1. petrol tank, make sure the filter inside it is clear.
    2. Blocked airbox/air filter. Take off the air filter and see what condition it's in. Have a look for cracked pipes going to from airbox/engine.
    3. If the engine is revving but the bike isn't going forward as it should, would more than likely be a problem with variator or roller bearings.

Cheers,

Removed fuel tank and cleaned out. Was a bit of gunk in filter. I'm gonna clean the carb next. I've already cleaned and reoiled air filter. What's the story with roller bearings? Are they a job i could do myself ? Bike only has 3000 k on it

Advertisement