Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Running

• 11-03-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Hey so I'm considering starting running, however as it stands I couldnt run to the end of a corridor without becoming out of breath. Are there any tips or hints anyone would reccomend. I am extremely unfit but I do not smoke, am what would be regarded as a healthy weight, female and in my early 20s. Even when I was a kid I hated running and was truly terrible at it compared to my peers, so really all and any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hey so I'm considering starting running, however as it stands I couldnt run to the end of a corridor without becoming out of breath. Are there any tips or hints anyone would reccomend. I am extremely unfit but I do not smoke, am what would be regarded as a healthy weight, female and in my early 20s. Even when I was a kid I hated running and was truly terrible at it compared to my peers, so really all and any advice is appreciated.

Couch to 5k is a winner for you in my opinion. There is a thread in athletics which is full of support and tips. Download the app and use it, main thing I'd say is go slowly, less chance of injury and/or giving up. Great way to build your fitness up

Edit: Link for c25k thread

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056143231/57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Another vote for couch to 5k, great program, as mentioned above, go slowly, if you are struggling to meet targets on a particular day, repeat that day until comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Urethra Franklin.;102880808Hey so I'm considering starting running, however as it stands I couldnt run to the end of a corridor without becoming out of breath. Are there any tips or hints anyone would reccomend. I am extremely unfit but I do not smoke, am what would be regarded as a healthy weight, female and in my early 20s. Even when I was a kid I hated running and was truly terrible at it compared to my peers, so really all and any advice is appreciated.
    Is there a particular reason you want to start running? I like running but I don't love it, and don't see the point in trying to commit to something you might hate? I also tried and failed at couch to 5k! 
    Is it possible for you to maybe try a few different sports and see what you do like? I achieved a 20kg weight loss without doing much running at all, it was either resistance training (weightlifting) which I love, or classes like Strength & Conditioning where you're jumping around and stuff as opposed to running, but still getting that heart rate up! I like going for long walks and occasionally running, I live abroad right now and cycle everywhere as I don't own a car, am fairly active and never "need" to go for a run. Back in Ireland I run a bit more because I like to get out and enjoy the open air. Running is great because it's free, easy to measure progress and there are always runs you can sign up for to motivate you. I did a 4 mile run on Stephen's day this year with a friend, it was great craic. There's also a great running community on Boards (and in real life), but don't feel like it's something you *have* to do, there are other ways to lose weight and/or get fit without putting yourself through something you don't enjoy! 

P. S. your username is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

You should consider weightlifting. Running is hard on the joints and muscles. It's certainly beneficial but should not be used exclusively

Starting Strength Why You Should Not Be Running | Mark Rippetoe

Here are 5 things all women should know before doing a single workout.

Cardio is important to have, I'd recommend couch to 5k as well
    Or an elliptical trainer if you can get near one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cardio is important.

Doesn't have to be running but nothing wrong with running, if running is a form of cardio you want to do or you will continue to do.

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/cardio-and-lifting-cardio-wont-hugely-impact-your-gains-in-the-short-run-and-may-be-beneficial-for-strength-and-size-in-the-long-run/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Do couch to 5k, but take it slowly. Don't worry if you fail on a run. The main thing that will make you better at running is just going on more runs, so keep at it and you'll get there.

Advertisement