Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment - renting it Monday to Friday. what to do with it at the weekends?

Options
  • 11-03-2017 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Posted this earlier but someone moved it into a thread where it would get no feedback. Presumably they thought it was a post all about airbnb. It wasn't. So I'll change it so it reads more like the question i am asking and looking for feedback on and post again.

Just running this idea by the good people of boards.

I have suffered from the new rules in a rental property. I gave the tenants notice with intent to sell and the have moved out. The apt is now on the market though not advertised on daft or with a sign. Just with an estate agent as i don't want a for sale sign or potential airbnb client seeing it for sale.
    It is on for quite a good price as i think its worth it and i can wait years if need be for a sale if I'm making money while its for sale.

I want no more to do with the RTB, so will not rent it normally any more. So to make money while it is for sale and run down the RTB rental lock on the apt , so that it can be brought back up to its full value, i have agreed to rent it to someone for 5 days a week to someone who travels up to Dublin for work during the week, Monday to Friday for the same amount as the max that the new rules would allow me to rent it for the full week. I also maintain full control this way.
    I'm going to do something else with it for the weekends. Possibly let it at weekends too via one of the many sites like owners direct or homelandaway. If i do ill let an agent take care of it.

The 5 day a week rental is already in action now, but not the weekend end of it yet. I have an agent who will look after the weekend dealings should i decide to go that way. It will be totally hands off for me. I may even leave it empty at the weekends and just use it as i need it myself for those days.

Just looking for input to see if I've thought of all of the downsides to this before i pull the trigger.

Is there any way the RTB can move in on me and take control of my property from me.in this scenario? If the 5 day thing doesn't work out can the RTB stick their noses in at all should the person renting for those days complain to them.
    Would there be any downsides I'm not thinking of here? It's always good to get all views on something like this. Nothing beats the hive in my experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

So you posted creepy messages about having access to the property next door to your tenants and "having the last laugh", posted that you evicted them via the "grey route" and are now posting about how you terminated the tenancy under the guise of selling when in fact you have no intention of selling within the three months required by the RTA.
    Is there any way the RTB can move in on me

If your previous tenants realise youve re-let they can take a case against you for damages. I really hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

So you posted creepy messages about having access to the property next door to your tenants and "having the last laugh", posted that you evicted them via the "grey route" and are now posting about how you terminated the tenancy under the guise of selling when in fact you have no intention of selling within the three months required by the RTA.

If your previous tenants realise youve re-let they can take a case against you for damages. I really hope they do.

What im actually looking for are constructive, real options and drawbacks rather than a stalker please.

I believe there is nothing that stops me letting someone use the property Monday to Friday while it is for sale. Nothing stopping me from using it at the weekends either.

And im pretty sure the old tenants will know im using it while its on sale too, because their mates live only two doors away. But scare stories about the RTB dont really amount to anything. What im interested in is keeping the RTB away from my business in future dealings. Not interested in scare stories about what they could do to me if someone found out this or that or that my aunt had balls sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're already on dodgy legal ground, I'm not letting this discussion on how to break the law continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement