Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply for a lot of SATA disks

Options
  • 11-03-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I built a homeserver around a mini-itx Celeron J1900 board with extra PCI-E card giving me a total of 10 SATA connections.

I want to plugin a new disk but I am running our of power connectors. I already split some connectors with 4 pin Y splitters. I have no idea how many times you can split anyway but I would prefer some sort of power supply aimed at large NASes

Does anyone know a good power supply aimed at many disks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can split no problem, my backplane is 1:4 by default but its likely you'd get away with more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've seen 24-port backplanes powered off 3 or 4 molexes (molex's?). Those things can take lots of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

OK thanks for that, is there also a way to use the 6 pin connector or are they different voltages?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PCIe_pinout.pngIA43b.jpg

12V only on the PCIE Power rails.

19fig34r.jpg

AFAIK only mobiles use 3.3, but having no 5v might be a problem.

Just get Molex to SATA power x4s. If you only have two molex get a molex splitter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

so looks like impossible unless some converter. anyway will split some more :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement