Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon to build giant data centre in Mulhuddart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

They are building one on Belgard Road and plan a second over there but firs ESB must give them enough power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I note there will be space to build 7 more. These will come. More and more companies are moving operations to the cloud not to mention the online shopping has taken off

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

That's good news for us that they decide to build that centre in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Good news for construction and jobs.

I wonder how this will affect the visuals, paying particular attention to the close-by residents of tyrrelstown. Not so sure I would want to see that leaving my house everyday. (I dont live there :) ).

Similarly to the Facebook data center, its massive. I'm not sure how the two compare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sounds like it has the potential to be a massive eyesore. Hopefully it won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wonder how this will affect the visuals,
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Sounds like it has the potential to be a massive eyesore. Hopefully it won't be.

That's what I'm wondering. Some of the buildings gone up around there recently are pretty ugly, that new refrigerated warehouse currently being built on the opposite corner on the N2-N3 link road down from the Texaco/New Maxol is a massive eye sore, an absolutely ugly mess of a thing.

Anyone see the PP on the Fingal website yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nothing new, they have been building data centers here in Dublin for 10 years now and no one has noticed.

Because they're usually discrete or don't look out of place. But that general area around Cruiserath is slightly elevated compared to the rest of Dublin 15 so tall ugly buildings tend to stand out quite a bit around there, just look at what's already there, the pharmaceutical plants and eBays old grey building beside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Employ feck all Irish once they are built. At least will provide us with a few indirect jobs though (security, catering services, etc)

They already have 2 in Tallaght and are building another one on the old Jacobs site on Belgard Road at the moment.

They'll employee Irish if Irish apply and qualify for the jobs. But data centres anyway tend not to require many people attend to them anyway as most of the work can be done remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They'll employee Irish if Irish apply and qualify for the jobs. But data centres anyway tend not to require many people attend to them anyway as most of the work can be done remotely.

They will pay for a lot of irish produced electricity also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Lads...just hold your toughts and unplug your toaster from the National ESB grid !

One of the main opponents to Apple's planned €850m data centre development in Co Galway has objected to a proposal by Amazon to build a massive €1bn data centre in Dublin - raising the prospect it could also be hit with a lengthy delay.
    Amazon had hoped to begin construction of its campus this year.
    But Allan Daly, an engineer from Athenry, Co Galway, has argued that permission for the project should not be granted until the internet giant specifies precisely how much energy the campus will use.

More HERE .... or HERE !

I can sorta see his point, but is he going to object to every new large facility around the country from this point on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I can sorta see his point, but is he going to object to every new large facility around the country from this point on?

I dont know the man but what is the point of finding out what is the usage or consumption of a data centre !?
    It's a secret deal between the Amazon/Apple and ESB ? A issue with power cables ,length,diameter,safety ?

Pitty that the chap mised the social network data centre in Clonee,would he object / appealed that one too ??

Presumably from an eco point of view? If they use so much power then it creates an additional load on the network, may need to import electricity or something like that.

The Facebook data centre will be pretty green and have supplied info as part of planning as to how they plan on cooling the place using natural air with the salt filtered out so as to reduce the need for increased load due to air con for example.

Advertisement