Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargebump users

• 11-03-2017 6:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone using it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Thanks for bringing up the subject. It costs nothing to install, it was developed by a guy that frequents the speakev forum as a hobby - with no financial aspect to it - purely as a tool for EV drivers to use. To me, it's a wonderful app. What annoys the hell out of me is that nobody uses it! :-(

For the sake of a couple of minutes, please install it and register your car reg on it. Then print out the 'disc' in the attached file and put it in the placeholder where your nct disc would normally go (seeing as it's empty right now).

We can only encourage people to use it - it could be so useful - and save people a lot of time and uncertainty. I know that some leave their mobile numbers on the dash. However, I don't think this is the way to go - I don't want any stranger having my mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I did. Once. Never again. Not useful to me... I guess it is for others

peposhi wrote: »
    I did. Once. Never again. Not useful to me... I guess it is for others
    Even if nobody contacted you on it, why would you uninstall it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I meant to say never used it again. I still have it. The one time a lad tried to get in touch with me I got a notification 1 hour after I met the lad at the CP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for bringing up the subject. It costs nothing to install, it was developed by a guy that frequents the speakev forum as a hobby - with no financial aspect to it - purely as a tool for EV drivers to use. To me, it's a wonderful app. What annoys the hell out of me is that nobody uses it! :-(

For the sake of a couple of minutes, please install it and register your car reg on it. Then print out the 'disc' in the attached file and put it in the placeholder where your nct disc would normally go (seeing as it's empty right now).

We can only encourage people to use it - it could be so useful - and save people a lot of time and uncertainty. I know that some leave their mobile numbers on the dash. However, I don't think this is the way to go - I don't want any stranger having my mobile number.

Just emailed it to work now. Will print out in Monday.
    I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.[/QUOTE

Are u using the UK reg, I will test it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.[/QUOTE

Are u using the UK reg, I will test it.

Yeah.
    VRT inspection on 19th March.

Can I change my reg in chargebump or do I need to create a new account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I requested a while back for them to update their system to recognise our reg system better. Previously it wouldn't match 171D123 as 171-D-123 etc.
    I've had it installed almost two years. Never had a bump and never been able to bump anyone.
    It's pretty useless tbh. Maybe if ecars added something similar to their app then there may be enough activity.

Can I change my reg in chargebump or do I need to create a new account?
    Run a search on speakev . You'll find the app dev. there. He will manually update the reg on your account for you.

If he doesn't answer straight away, bear in mind this is a free app he developed for the EV community off his own bat (with no monetisation angle).

s.welstead wrote: »
    wo years. Never had a bump and never been able to bump anyone.It's pretty useless tbh.
    It's only useless in the sense that people have not gotten with the programme and installed it. If everyone took 2 minutes to install it, then it would be an asset to the EV community as a whole.
    s.welstead wrote: »
    Maybe if ecars added something similar to their app then there may be enough activity.
    I've suggested this to the chargebump app dev. He is open to the idea but it's up to ecars to get their finger out of their asses and make an effort.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, and only perhaps, it might be an additional idea to stick a note about the app under the wipers of EV's you see charging, or even stick a label on the charging points....:cool:
    However I don't see Paddy buying in to the courtesy considerations associated with accommodating other drivers....just look at how we drive...
    As for staying on after they are full, hopefully the new charging regime will address this for the fast chargers: a €1.00 a minute for each one you stay on after its full:)

There are ever growing problem with Outlanders and other PHEVs in the UK hogging charging points all day.
    Its already an issue in Malahide where I live where two PHEVs take up 50% of the public charging points in the village:Mon to Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

It's just been installed and the sticker is in my window 😀

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    It's just been installed and the sticker is in my window 😀

Thanks for making the effort. All we can do is encourage others to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Noble thoughts behind the program but unfortunately no Windows Phone app

And apart from that, what's the big deal with leaving your mobile phone number visible? Might just do that out of courtesy for my fellow EV owners out there.

unkel wrote: »
    Noble thoughts behind the program but unfortunately no Windows Phone app
    Not the first time you've discovered 'no windows phone app' ;-)

And apart from that, what's the big deal with leaving your mobile phone number visible? Might just do that out of courtesy for my fellow EV owners out there.
    Of course, you're welcome to do that. Personally, I don't want to leave that data lying around. As an example, if my number is googled, it leads to all manner of other data about me - that I don't need anyone knowing. i.e. my full name, address, what I once did for a living, etc. etc.

Its a Hugh deal and an absolute no no for me, I will pen a few lines on the personal and other security issues later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone using it?

The developer updated the app recently and inadvertently removed iPhone 5 support.

He said he'd fix it but thats 2 months ago now and still not fixed. I know he is doing it for free but if there are roadblocks to adoption it dies fast.

Having something integrated into the eCars app would be much more useful as nearly every EV'er will have that App. I'm not holding my breath for that though.

KCross wrote: »
    The developer updated the app recently and inadvertently removed iPhone 5 support.

He said he'd fix it but thats 2 months ago now and still not fixed. I know he is doing it for free but if there are roadblocks to adoption it dies fast.

Having something integrated into the eCars app would be much more useful as nearly every EV'er will have that App. I'm not holding my breath for that though.

+1
    Annoying also that you cannot search fo an address in the ecar app so you can plan a route.

The solution would be that ecars incorporate the tech into their app. I'd imagine they'd probably have to do that from scratch (i.e. they couldn't use the existing chargebump database as there would be data protection issues). That said, ecars automatically have a complete database of irish users - so no issue there.

Not sure whether apps are protected and they'd have to work with chargebump for use of this type of solution but either way, it's achievable.

Advertisement