Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconditioning an iPad?

Options
  • 11-03-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if its possible to get an iPad reconditioned to improve performance. We have a 4 year old iPad being used for school which is starting to show its age. Battery not lasting as long as it used to, screen sensitivity not what it was. If there is a refresh option as against a brand new option that would be worth our looking at it. I believe its an iPad 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

To get the screen and battery replaced, you are probably looking at E150+.
    And after that you`ll still be left with a 4 year old Ipad and the issues that brings.
    4 years is about the life span of it.
    If you`re willing to spend the money to get it repaired then any reputable local repair shop will do it.
    If I was you I`d be looking into replacing it.
    You`ll find a lot of choice in the E200+ tablet price point and a lot of them will have similar if not better specs to an Ipad 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

To get the screen and battery replaced, you are probably looking at E150+.
    And after that you`ll still be left with a 4 year old Ipad and the issues that brings.
    4 years is about the life span of it.
    If you`re willing to spend the money to get it repaired then any reputable local repair shop will do it.
    If I was you I`d be looking into replacing it.
    You`ll find a lot of choice in the E200+ tablet price point and a lot of them will have similar if not better specs to an Ipad 4.

I hear you. Its my sons for school and the school have an iPad policy. Not cheap replacing iPads anew. Schools don't appreciate that they don't last more than a few years never mind the full 6 of secondary.

I hear you. Its my sons for school and the school have an iPad policy. Not cheap replacing iPads anew. Schools don't appreciate that they don't last more than a few years never mind the full 6 of secondary.

That's a bit different, I thought it was his personal one he used for school.

Have you spoken to the school about it? Was it subsidised by the school?
    I know Apple have a schools programme where Ipads are provided at reduced prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure the problem is the screen and not the 2012 device running 2017 software? Because unless it has been damaged, it would be unusual for the screen to start to fail like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

That's a bit different, I thought it was his personal one he used for school.

Have you spoken to the school about it? Was it subsidised by the school?
    I know Apple have a schools programme where Ipads are provided at reduced prices.

No subsidisation in place. Pay market price from what I can see. I haven't broached it with the school. Will be difficult to persuade them otherwise, but worth raising it. I'd be quite happy to see them using Android cheaper equivalents.

• Advertisement

No subsidisation in place. Pay market price from what I can see. I haven't broached it with the school. Will be difficult to persuade them otherwise, but worth raising it. I'd be quite happy to see them using Android cheaper equivalents.

Worth talking to other parents about this as well. 4 years from the date of purchase I highly doubt you are the only one in this situation.
    The school may well be willing to accept your son using a cheaper Android tablet.
    To be honest, Ipads are clever marketing and there`s very little difference between them and their competitors.
    That statement will go down like a fart in a space suit on an Apple forum but its the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Worth talking to other parents about this as well. 4 years from the date of purchase I highly doubt you are the only one in this situation.
    The school may well be willing to accept your son using a cheaper Android tablet.
    To be honest, Ipads are clever marketing and there`s very little difference between them and their competitors.
    That statement will go down like a fart in a space suit on an Apple forum but its the truth.

Only partly true, if you are only investing in a tablet with no prior requirements. If the school uses apps or services that are Apple only then only an iPad will do. Some of the apps I use most are either not available or not as reliable on Android, so the hardware and OS are just one part of the equation.

Advertisement