Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Box with no HMDI port

• 11-03-2017 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My folks have UPC and the reception on the TV is only reasonable.
    Having looked at the box they have , I see there is no HMDI port to connect
    an HMDI cable to the HMDI out on their HDTV.

There boxes were renewed not that long ago , and I cannot believe that there
    is no HMDI option on the box.

I wonder as they are elderly and not on top of modern tech ...Was this the reason they were given (in my opinion an inferior box) this type of box.

Scart cables are a very old technology at this stage.

appreciate advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

On the old boxes you paid for an SD service or a bit more for a HD service. They are probably on the SD service which is why they got the replacement SD box. Saying it was because they were elderly and not on top of modern tech is reaching in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Check the video setting on menu on the UPC box, make sure it's set to 'RGB' and not 'Composite', that will potentially make a big difference to the picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Upc are sending out two HD..Boxes ..So all ok. Just re settings on upc box..Is there any settings I should set on box for HMDI
    ..Thks for all the advice

.Ps...I still think no harm if upc asked their customers did they upgrade their tvs as all newish tvs are HD

Upc are sending out two HD..Boxes ..So all ok. Just re settings on upc box..Is there any settings I should set on box for HMDI

HDMI is pretty much 'plug and play', the TV and the digital decoder box can negotiate the required settings between them so leave everything (resolution, screen size etc.) at 'auto' and you'll be grand.

I think UPC gives you a HDMI cable with each box but just in case they've stopped doing this...... do not spend silly money on cables, buy the 1.5m HDMI cables for about €12 in Tesco, they will do the same job as the expensive rubbish they sell in PC World and Harvey Norman.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    €12? A cable? Even thats too expensive. €1.49 in dealz does the job.

The connectors are liable to break on the very cheap cables and leave you with a stump jammed in the socket, it does happen. I'd be happy to pay Tesco €12-15 for a decent cable. Considering you've paid a few hundred for the TV, it doesn't make sense to go rock bottom when buying connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You would not believe how many people just plug the scart from their old box into their new HD box and never even think to use the supplied HDMI cable.

Advertisement