Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me build a pc

Options
  • 11-03-2017 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey I was just wondering what parts I should get for a pc to play total war atilla on the highest possibe setting with in my price range. My price range is 800-1000. So what parts should I get and which sites should I get them? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

1000 is overkill for Total War Atilla.
    RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: 2nd Generation Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti or AMD Radeon HD 5870
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 35 GB available space
    Additional Notes: PC integrated graphics chipsets require 64 bit Windows, e.g. Intel HD series.
    These are the recommended settings. What do you own right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/31p6xa/the_quest_for_60fps_attila/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/325610/discussions/0/618453594742127475/

Seems Total War: Attila is using an outdated 32-bit engine, and that's why it runs poorly.

You could build a new gaming PC for ~€600-700.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helpmebuildapc

Alpha8 wrote: »
    RECOMMENDED:
    Additional Notes: PC integrated graphics chipsets require 64 bit Windows, e.g. Intel HD series.

I just own a fairly cheap laptop. I know very little about building a pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Check a few of the builds and guides on this page too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There is virtually no way to make those old total war games run well. Terrible CPU utilization in a game that desperately needs it.

You want something with really good single thread performance and high clock speeds. A 7600k would probably be your best bet. It's a good all rounder.

This PC is overkill for your needs but it's within budget and will be good for everything you throw at it in the future. You could definitely save a lot here and get similar or the same performance in Attila. Just giving you something at the top end of your budget to consider.

All parts from mindfactory.de using geizhals.de to get a discount. Get the case from Amazon as it will cost an extra 30 on delivery from mindfactory.

Intel core i5 7600k €235.83
    MSI H270 GAMING M3 €117.43
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT weiß DDR4-2400 €59.94
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB €249.80
    Cooler Master Hyper 212X cpu cooler €30.52
    250GB Hynix Canvas SL308 SSD €86.73
    WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB HDD €48.07
    550 Watt Corsair CS Series CS550M Modular 80+ Gold €73.23
    Delivery €30
    Total €931.55

That leaves around €70 to get a case from Amazon. This would be nice with it imo.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-S340-White-Tower-Case/dp/B00NGMIBXC/ref=sr_1_47?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1489345579&sr=8-47&keywords=matx+case

• Advertisement

Oh and would a pc for that price allow me to play rome 2 on ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Alpha8 wrote: »
    RECOMMENDED:

Just curious why you are recommending W7?

BloodBath wrote: »

Thanks a million! What's the cheapest I could spend and get a similar result?

I messed up that build a bit anyway. H170 board instead of Z170. Does anyone if it's still possible to overclock on non Z based board?

Something like KO-kiks build here would do the trick if you want something a lot cheaper. I would get the SSD I listed though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102844496&postcount=2

What setting would this run atilla on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What setting would this run atilla on?

It's hard to know, since the game itself runs poorly on everything, but I'd bet frame-locked 30fps (no dips) should be possible.

No clue. Probably around 25-30fps average with big variances on max settings. You should get decent playable frame rates on high of around 40-45fps. Depends on what frame rate you want and what modes you are playing.

Attila only uses 1 cpu core for ai calculations so this is usually the bottleneck if playing against ai but it still needs a good graphics card as well. It also seems to heavily favor Nvidia cards.

You could maybe go for something in between the 2 builds for around 700 - 800 if you want better performance. The first build once overclocked should get around 40 or so fps maxed and 60 or so fps on high. Might have to tweak some settings lower, definitely no AA. Assuming 1080p here.

What resolution is your monitor?

Advertisement