Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loneliness

• 11-03-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Tbh my head is a mess atm and I struggle to get how im feeling down on paper but here goes.

Im 23, male and just feeling very lonely atm. I suffer from mental illness which im on medication for.

My main problem is I never have anything to do most evenings. I have no close friends and I live in a small town which means there are no clubs to join. My illness has made it very difficult to stay in contact with friends over the years as anxiety used to prevent me from committing to plans. As my shyness has left, people never seem to want to get to know me that well. I consider myself good enough craic when out but I don't drink which may be a factor in some circumstances.

As regards a girlfriend, I am horrifically lost in that regard. Have never had one and no women ever shows interest in me. Ive actually asked out a couple of women over the last few years and every single one has rejected me. Frankly, my confidence is at an all time low.

I'm sick of so many things going wrong and just feel so tired of it all at times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Hey OP,

It sounds like you've gotten over your shyness / anxiety.. is that correct?

At that age, and I'm generalising here, people can tend to stick to their own and it can be difficult to 'break into' a group of friends. So, you might need to take up some form of hobby in order to meet people. Don't limit yourself to people of your own age - when I joined a club a while back, I was hanging out with people 10 years younger and people 10 years older. We shared a common interest which we 'bonded' over.

Just because there's not much happening where you are, doesn't prevent you from travelling to where things are happening does it?
    Do you drive?

If you're brave enough to ask women out, you're braver than a lot of us at that age. Did you know the girls well before you asked them out?

Is there a possibility to reconnect with your old pals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

[mod snip]

I know exactly how you feel. I've suffered with it for years. You're not alone.

You made the right decision to come online and tell people how you feel. You haven't kept it to yourself. Be proud of yourself.

Everyday is a task. Everyday is a challenge but everyday is a new day to do something different to try and help your mind and your body.

Advertisement