Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is a Rugby ball Greasy?

• 11-03-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Question 1: There is no grease involved so why is a wet ball 'Greasy' - not 'Soapy', 'Slippery', or just plain 'Wet'?

Question 2: Why can't the ball be made less slippery even when it is wet? Sandpaper is fairly grippy even when it gets wet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

GFish wrote: »
    Question 1: There is no grease involved so why is a wet ball 'Greasy' - not 'Soapy', 'Slippery', or just plain 'Wet'?

Question 2: Why can't the ball be made less slippery even when it is wet? Sandpaper is fairly grippy even when it gets wet.

1. Just a rugbyism.

2. If rugby gets easier to play then the plebs will get into it and we can't be having with that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's a case of transferred epithet. In soccer in particular it's not the ball that's greasy but some of the people who govern its destiny,

Did you ever play a game with a ball that had a sandpaper surface? Believe me, it's no fun, and you wouldn't want to do it unless as a well paid professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ever play with a leather ball in the rain. Greasy understates the problem. Bar of soap more apt.
    Even with todays ball, grass can make them slippery. Not grease. But grass juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

feargale wrote: »
    Did you ever play a game with a ball that had a sandpaper surface? Believe me, it's no fun, and you wouldn't want to do it unless as a well paid professional.

But these are well paid professionals ... and they don't play for fun!

A scratched finger? That's Ouchy all right :eek:
    but I'd take that risk before I'd risk a serious head or limb injury as these players do, every single game.

You need to do better than that.

BTW - don't get hung up on sandpaper. The point is modern technology can probably make non-slip (un-greasy) balls so why don't we use them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

even a round gaelic football is very greasy in the wet

just get over it

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    even a round gaelic football is very greasy in the wet

Did you have a point you wanted to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Why change it? why not go the whole hog and make it a round ball so that the bounce is more predictable?
    As it is, the variation in the weather, pitch, conditions under foot, even whether we play under a roof are all factors that make the game less predictable, as such they are a great leveller, making each game present a different set of challenges

Every player drops the ball and is deceived by the bounce, at some time or another the better players do so less and rise above the rest, that's part of sport and part of what makes rugby so great. If it bothers you then find a game that's more certain and less anguish inducing. I think its better to keep the ball exactly as it is and let the chips fall where they may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The balls do have dimples on them already that give you grip on the rain.

You can also spray your hands with sticky stuff.

Personally I don't like it being too grippy because it can cause issues when you want to transfer the ball quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Brand new rugby balls tend to be waxy and need to be broken in. Often teams will have brand new balls that are used all week and then used in the games on the weekend; yet I have seen in pro and amateur games before - brand new balls being chucked on and players having serious issues due to the wax on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brand new rugby balls tend to be waxy and need to be broken in. Often teams will have brand new balls that are used all week and then used in the games on the weekend; yet I have seen in pro and amateur games before - brand new balls being chucked on and players having serious issues due to the wax on the ball.

Big teams bring a certain number of their own balls I think. Can't remember the exact process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

here was me thinking it red hot last friday night, thanks op for fixing that for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah they feel manky and often stick a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Because greasy is the word. Is the word that you heard. It's got groove it's got meaning.

Big teams bring a certain number of their own balls I think. Can't remember the exact process.

The quota is "up to 2 balls per team member" and the quota is the same whether the team is big or small. ;)

Brand new rugby balls tend to be waxy

Quit, will ya?
    We already have greasy, soapy, slippery and wet - we don't need waxy :eek:.

Advertisement