Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to decide on a first bike. BMW G310R ?

• 11-03-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Sorry for starting a thread that has happened here over and over again.

I am currently looking around to pick my first bike. I got my Learner Permit (A) last week and will be doing my IBT training soon.

Between looking at used / new bikes this caught my eye
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.ie/bikes/roadster/bmw-g-310-r/?section=Explore

Anyone tried one of these yet?

I am 6ft and 114KG. So something that takes my weight comfortably.

Still trying to figure out bike styles etc. No mopeds / scooters.
    Preferably something that can take a storage to transport my laptop bag

Primary use: Commuting from Swords to inner city

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well my initial thoughts is that at 6' and 114kg ~ when you're wearing your biking gear you're gonna look a lot heavier again, that the bike is going to look very small under you.

Have you considered going secondhand and a larger frame than the BMW?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've never seen nor sat on one myself id recommend sitting on one in the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well the 310 has missed it's launch date multiple times and is now on a 'it'll be ready when it's ready' basis....they actually have no idea.

CB500X would be worth looking at if it can be A2. Ditto Kawasaki Er6 Versys

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You can stick enough storage for a laptop on any bike out there so don't limit your search to something that comes with panniers

for your first bike on the A license you really have a massive choice.

any of the naked 600s, 650 twins etc.

But you need to get a bike that is over 595cc and over 50KW in power so you can do your full test on it. that rules out the BMW G310R which as far as I'm aware is a little bike pitched for the A2 license which would not be suitable for you.

After you do your IBT you will have a much better idea of what bike you want anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Yamaha MT-07 is being marketed as a starter bike. Quiet powerful though, yet I think you`ll need it given that you are over 6ft and 114kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Thanks guys. Please recommend keep recommending brands and models!
    Bikes are all new to me and im still figuring out the lingo.

I had the same worry about my size.
    yet Bikers I know have been telling me to not to go too big with my first bike. ( i was looking at used bmw gt 800's which may be a little too much for a first bike )

My friends keeps joking that I should buy a chopper as it would suit my look (shaved head, large beard, broad shoulders)
    My big worry is Ive never really seen bikers my size and worried im going to stick out a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

GT or ST would be grand as a first bike, it's no bigger or different to throw around than the 600s or 650s described above. If you're in test riding bemmers anyway have a go of the F800GT, rides grand and loads of space. Same for the F800GS if that's your bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

2Shae wrote: »
    MY big worry is Ive never really seen bikers my size and worried im going to stick out a little

We come in all shapes and sizes so I wouldnt worry :pac:

I'm 6'3" and rode a GZ125 for a year as my first motorcycle.

Personally I love the CB500x, great looking bike, nice size to start on and should suit your height. I'd recommend checking out a few bike shops and sitting on a handful of bikes! Way more beneficial than any google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

The OP's primary use for this bike is to commute from Swords to Dublin Inner City. That's about 20mile round trip. Half that journey is 10 minutes on a motorway or the old airport road being a 60k speed limit in to Santry. Then 50km limit all the way from there in traffic.

I do this journey every day on a 650 GS for last 11 years. My bike has no grunt in it yet I never would see the need to use all of its 50bhp. Ever. For this journey. A 250cc or this new 310 (now I'm interested in this me self) would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok there's a few mentions of a Honda CB500X here.. I'd over looked that one.

Its a bloody fantastic bike. In fact a mate of mine bought one last year, rode it through Ireland, Europe and is presently somewhere along the west coast of Africa on it.

Here's some photos, and if you're wondering about luggage carrying capacity, have no doubts after these photos!.

This is it when he bought it first, it doesn't come equipt with these knobbly tires as standard.

411685.jpg

And here's the bike somewhere down the west coast of Africa (fully loaded)

411686.jpg

So far the only problem he's experienced is replacing the front wheel bearings.

Ideal as a commuter and tourer.

I'm the OP's weight and slightly taller. I've rode this CB500X and its perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement