Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini ITX Gaming Build

Options
  • 11-03-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to make a small Mini-ITX build for gaming and keep it with just a GPU change after a few years

1. What is your budget? [€xxx] €1K

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming (like Witcher 3, Sniper Elite 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dirt Rally) at 1080p 60fps but might get a 2560x1440p 60hz monitor in the future.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) Yes, listed below

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No] Currently 1920x1080 60Hz, but plan to eventually upgrade to 2560x1440 in the future

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Not really, I tried it before but not sure about heat in this build.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Any

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] Next week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] No help needed

I have these left over from a previous build
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" SSD (for OS)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" Internal HDD
    Storage: Western Digital Green 2TB 3.5" Internal HDD
    Power Supply: Corsair CX600M ATX PSU

I've already decided on and bought these
    Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX
    Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM

And need help to decide on these parts
    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k or i7-7700 (non k)
    I know i7 is overkill but I can get it cheaper than retail, not sure if I should get the k or non k version though
    I don't want to overclock now but the k has higher clock speeds and could overclock in the future but has 91W TDP or get the non k which has lower clock speeds but has a lower 65W TDP which would be better in the smaller case.
    Motherboard: Mini ITX Z270 or H270 motherboard, with Wi-Fi
    Memory: 16GB DDR4
    Storage: 500 GB SSD for games maybe Samsung 850 EVO
    Video Card: Maybe AMD RX480 8GB, or could use my 7870 until RX500 series is out?
    Power Supply: Is the CX600M ok to reuse with this build or should I get a better quality one?

Thanks

Advertisement