Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct height for sockets for a wall mounted TV

Options
  • 12-03-2017 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're in the middle of building a house and we think the electrican has put the sockets in for the TV point and associated plugs at too great a height.

We have got a chance now to rectify this and I'm wondering what is the best way to do this.

The room length is 3.5m - it will be approx 3m from the wall the TV is mounted on to the edge of the sofa. We have not yet purchased a TV for the room, but in future I can see something in the 36" - 42" range being added. However, not at this stage - will probably be something smaller.

What I would like to know is what would be the optimum height from the to place the sockets on the wall. We'll be seated in a 'normal' type sofa which I've measured to have an approx seat height of 16".

The room shape is looking like that a mounted TV would be the best option, but at this stage should we lower the wall mount and then put an additional set of sockets lower for a cabinet mounted setup - or can the wall mounted sockect be easily hidden if that later becomes the preferred option?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Google says 42" from the ground to the centre of a wall mounted TV is the ideal viewing height. I guess position your sockets at this level or close to it.

Always remember to check for buried cables in walls and Mark their positions before fixing a bracket to the wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What I would like to know is what would be the optimum height from the to place the sockets on the wall. We'll be seated in a 'normal' type sofa which I've measured to have an approx seat height of 16".

There is no single correct height, the ideal height will depend on the eye level of the person viewing the TV. Obviously the TV power point should be hidden behind the TV, so it is driven by the posit of the TV.

Sit on the sofa and then measure the distance from the floor to your eye level.
    For the most comfortable viewing this should be the the hight to the centre of the TV when it is mounted on the wall. I generally go up a little from this level for aesthetics, but not much. If it is too high you will end up with a sore neck when watching TV and/or be generally less comfortable.

Back in the day that we had "old fashioned TVs" we would sit these on a small table at quite a low comfortable level. When flat screens became the norm many people felt the need to mount them really high on the wall and sit just as close as before even if the screen size had more than doubled. To me it felt like I was sitting on the front row in a cinema, straining my neck to see the movie :eek:

Here is how I did my 42" (rather dated) TV:

MyTV.jpg
    If I was doing it again I would mount it slightly lower.

I think that many people mount flat screened TVs far too high, in my opinion this is because:
    1) The first place that they watched flat screened TVs was in a pub. These are often mounted very high so that they were visible over lots of people that are standing.
    2) Flat screens resemble pictures so people would mount them at a similar hight.

I like the minimalist look when it comes to flat screened TVs. I would normally use a spur outlet to supply a TV as a plug / socket arrangement can sometimes mean that the TV can not sit as tight to the wall. Mounting at a suitable level also means that the TV does not have to be tilted down, again keeping it close to the wall.

At a minimum I would recommend installing 3 or 4 (4k compatible) HDMI cables from the TV to the point for the satellite box / games counsel / blue ray player. Obviously sockets will be required for these, ideally hardwired network points too (always better than wifi). I like to keep this stuff well away from the TV (for aesthetics and that minimalist look).

In terms of sound, at the very least install a sound bar. The thiner a flat screen gets, the worse the sound quality. I bout a Bose sound system around 20 years ago, the sound quality is so good I don't very envisage upgrading.
    or can the wall mounted sockect be easily hidden if that later becomes the preferred option?

Generally not, depends on a few factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

In regards to sockets in this case must still be within 400-1200mm? And oven extract fans usually require a socket what's the norm there spur?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    In regards to sockets in this case must still be within 400-1200mm? And oven extract fans usually require a socket what's the norm there spur?

Put a spur where you need it (within reason) I would th think.
    In my view sockets need to be far more accessible than spur outlets because sockets are designed for portable equipment. I wouldn't consider a wall mounted TV portable (unless the OP were to advise otherwise).

Just curious, if you had an oddball inspector how he would fair out.

• Advertisement

He would have to show what rule you are not complying with.
    I would expect an intruder alarm panel to be mounted higher than that and I would think it best that the spur is beside it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Inspectors shouldn't be oddball. They are not gods. They are supposed to enforce written regs, not their opinion of them.

I would class this as a fixed appliance & feed it from a spur outlet. It's gonna have an IEC inlet anyway so can be replaced without disconnecting the spur.

Does that cutting off the plug "goes my warranty" debate fall in or is that old scare tactics?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Scare tactics, cut the end off another IEC lead if you're worried :D

Does that cutting off the plug "goes my warranty" debate fall in or is that old scare tactics?

Complete b0ll0cks! Besides you could simply use a different lead and they would be none the wiser.

Edit: Snap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do these need to be spurs for a mains socket?
    We are in NI.

With respect, if you are in NI, then you shouldn't be asking for advice here. Different country, different regs.

Good, I do hate red tape bs. Free the snips so it is ☺.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Steve wrote:
    With respect, if you are in NI, then you shouldn't be asking for advice here. Different country, different regs.

With respect he can ask away as far as I'm concerned, nothing in the charter to say either way.
    Same island same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What I'm thinking of doing is lowering the lot, and keeping the switched socket.
    I'll then use a TV Mount which can be pulled out to access the sockets.
    The regs here are not as tight as the south, but I'm just trying to get something that works in most scenarios.

Any other suggestions?

I think that no matter what I do there will be tvs or whatever where it is not the best solution.

My mother lines turning TV of every night so I'm not sure if these mounts can withstand continuous use on a daily basis.

Advertisement