Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro/Tram Service in Cork City

Options
  • 12-03-2017 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Decided to make a new thread since the previous one is 11 years old and hasn't been posted in in a long time.

The Green Party again are pushing for the introduction of a tram service/Luas in Cork City, according to 96FM. The proposed tram would run from Mahon and Blackrock to the city centre, and then to Ballincollig and Bishopstown. They say over 400,000 people live in the Cork metropolitan area and that the city must act like "a large city and plan accordingly". Also according to 96FM, this new push is being back by IDA Ireland, who believe that it could help with attracting investment into the city.

Here is an article from the journal.ie that was written on the subject during the week: http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-cork-city-2-3265254-Mar2017/

What do people here think of it? Is it a good idea, will the service actually be used? Is it possible or right now does it just seem like wishful thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

More chance of the Dart to dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is it a good idea? Yes. Will it happen? Not before 2050 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Completely unnecessarily for Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Mutant z wrote: »
    Completely unnecessarily for Cork city.

Why do you think so?

Why do you think so?

Would it have sufficent passenger numbers they already have a bus service, and they might have trouble managing the steep hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They managed the hills back in 1898...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would it have sufficent passenger numbers they already have a bus service, and they might have trouble managing the steep hills.

What about a rubber tyred tramway. Works well uphill

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Couple of points.

1. This would be built for future population projections. Have to keep that in mind. Remember there was plans to make the Jack Lynch Tunnel one lane in either direction. See how short sighted that would've been.

2. Yeah we do have a bus service. But it's ****e.

3. Have a look at Montpellier's tram system. It's a city with a population of 270k and its tram service is packed to bursting. It's a great asset to the city and does a fine job for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What steep hill would be on the quoted route? Any team will likely go through a redeveloped dock lands which will have high density accommodation. The given route will also hit major employment centres and key points such as 2 Universities, the largest hospital in Ireland and God willing, the Event Centre.

Why must anything for Cork be shot down so fast while the opposite happens when something is proposed for elsewhere in Ireland?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I think it's a great idea, should have been done years ago.
    It would be a great asset to the city and would work much better than the bus service which currently is badly effected by traffic.

• Advertisement

There is a massive lack of imagination and forward thinking at the political level in Ireland. An East West tram like in Cork would hit all the right points that other cities would be envious of: residential, employment and entertainment hub in Mahon, residential area in Blackrock, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, docklands, transport hub @ Kent, city centre, UCC, CUH, CIT, and then Bishopstown/Ballincollig. All the boxes ticked. But apart from the Green's none of the major parties are in favour of it. Serious lack of imagination. Even a BRT at an absolute minimum should be built and future proofed for upgrade like the Mettis system in Metz, France.

arton1209.jpg?1473426278

Of course NIMBY objections would be a problem even if it somehow got the go ahead. Any system would need to use the old Passage Blackrock line to make it viable. When the idea was previously floated people in Blackrock were massively against the idea.

Saying a city shouldn't get a metro because it already has a bus service is a ridiculous argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Ballincollig through to the city passing CIT, UCC, CUH then to City Centre out the Docklands and onto Blackrock, Mahon Point, Rochestown and onto Passage West would definitely be viable. With the Docklands beginning to move into a development phase over the next 20 years, we need to plan for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

More chance of the Dart to dingle

On what basis?

Anyway, when they did the research for this back in 2010, they found that the proposed route (Ballincollig-Mahon) didn't have the critical mass, but it would support BRT. That was at the height of the depression and things have drastically changed. We've had 2 census since then with major increases in population. The docklands development will be pushed on by something like this. It's at least worth another look.

The opinions of Dubs like above, who barely venture outside the M50 are hardly credible. I spend more time in Dublin than Cork these days, but I spend more time in jams in Cork when I'm there. It's absolutely ridiculous and we need to be a little bit less backward in our approach to transport links. Particularly the 'how can it work if it's not Dublin' attitude. The success of developments projects such as the Docklands in Cork will depend on advancements such as this.

Getting from Ballincollig to the City centre using either car or bus at peak times is a nightmare and its a nightmare every single day. A tramway would be a huge benefit to the surrounding areas. Would people use it? What? A fast reliable way to get around the city? Of course not, why would they.

I really love when people cast aspersions on an idea for technical reasons. It shows they have no idea what they are talking about. The biggest excuse used for a long time for no underground in Dublin was because the water table was too high and the technology didnt exist to tunnel through it. Forgetting completely that some parts of the Bart are completely underwater. Then the Port Tunnel got built and the excuse was forgotten about.

Unless Apple build it themselves, I can't see it happening anytime soon. It would need sign off from Dublin and it would never get enough votes. The Healy Raes might support it, because if Cork got one it increases the chances of Listowel getting one. Or they might take the view that after building one in Cork there'd be no money for one in Listowel so they vote against it.

Its a great idea, but until we get a minister for Transport who takes pride in good public transport, we will be stuck with half-arsed solutions built 40 years too late.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Saying a city shouldn't get a metro because it already has a bus service is a ridiculous argument.

Why not cork isnt a major city by any means, and its taken a huge risk, its a lot of money to squander, i think having the Metro for Dublin would be a better idea.

Why not cork isnt a major city by any means, and its taken a huge risk, its a lot of money to squander, i think having the Metro for Dublin would be a better idea.

Have you ever been to Europe? Tram systems are the norm in cities bigger and smaller than Cork across Europe where authorities understand the long term benefits that proper planning and public transport can bring to an urban environment no matter it's size. It's just a severe lack of imagination, planning and foresight in Ireland that means people automatically shoot down suggestions like this with no reasoning other than the usual "but it's too small" and "shur cars and buses are grand".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

We may not have a bus service anymore if they don't cop themselves on in bus eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Of course we need a tram/light rail system. We need to be planning it now so that it might be in service in 20 yrs time.

Steep hills? Try Lisbon. Cork's too small? Pick a medium-sized French city and 'voilá'! Regardez la tram!

Unfortunately, if and when we get the M20, our pols will shut investment in the SW for 50 yrs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

blindsider wrote: »
    Of course we need a tram/light rail system. We need to be planning it now so that it might be in service in 20 yrs time.

Steep hills? Try Lisbon. Cork's too small? Pick a medium-sized French city and 'voilá'! Regardez la tram!

Unfortunately, if and when we get the M20, our pols will shut investment in the SW for 50 yrs!

After the M20, sections of M22, M25, M28, M71 and M40 needed. (Possibly dual carraigeway without M restrictions).

Light rail as well

We have to modernise or wither.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Personally I don't think it's needed, but may be nice to have.
    I'd need to see the layout of the lines, the cost of the project (the build and the running prices) and the benefits (not necessarily concrete, but at least something to show it would be worthwhile). Couldn't say the expenditure would be justified before a full report was generated.

I think I've posted this elsewhere. One line is definitely feasible.

Ballincollig - Dog Track / Science Park - CIT - CUH / Wilton Shopping Centre - Bons Hodpital - UCC - Event Centre - City Centre - Train Station - Docklands - Pairc Ui Chaoimh - Mahon Point.

Keep development on this line and it will be feasible.

A second line would deal with Douglas and possibly the Airport.

Outside of Blackpool, the North side maybe too hilly. In addition, the Northside may not have the needed population.

Ballincollig - Dog Track / Science Park - CIT - CUH / Wilton Shopping Centre - Bons Hodpital - UCC - Event Centre - City Centre - Train Station - Docklands - Pairc Ui Chaoimh - Mahon Point.

Outside of Blackpool, the North side maybe too hilly. In addition, the Northside may not have the needed population.
    I would say the western end of this could spur into two lines, one to Ballincollig and one to Curraheen via the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

marno21 wrote: »
    After the M20, sections of M22, M25, M28, M71 and M40 needed. (Possibly dual carraigeway without M restrictions).

Light rail as well

We have to modernise or wither.

You're preaching to the converted here!

It's the bloody pols who only care about keeping their snout in the trough for 4 more yrs who are the problem.

I've no idea how much a light rail system from Ballincollig to Mahon Point or even Little Island might cost, but I can hear the Dublin meeja and pols loading the artillery already!

It's the bloody pols who only care about keeping their snout in the trough for 4 more yrs who are the problem.

I've no idea how much a light rail system from Ballincollig to Mahon Point or even Little Island might cost, but I can hear the Dublin meeja and pols loading the artillery already!
    As there's already a railway track from Little Island to Kent. An electrified high frequency service possibly with some sort of connecting light rail through Little Island would be beneficial going forward. Such a service could also serve the industrial areas west of Carrigtwohill. Especially considering the traffic in Little Island which is nuts.

marno21 wrote: »

As there's already a railway track from Little Island to Kent. An electrified high frequency service possibly with some sort of connecting light rail through Little Island would be beneficial going forward. Such a service could also serve the industrial areas west of Carrigtwohill. Especially considering the traffic in Little Island which is nuts.

The Tivoli Docks are also to be redeveloped. Perfect for high density development with the addition of a new train station for commuter usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I think that route is good. It's kinda sad (and very annoying) how much potential there is in the city and how little the government seem to care about that (or at least how slow they are to do anything). If Navigation Square gets approval next month, that's 3,000 more people in the city on a weekly basis.* A lot of those people will have cars so traffic is only going to increase even more than it already is. They should be focusing on a Cork Metro over the Dublin Underground or whatever it is being called.

*I'm not complaining about Navigation Square in case anyone thinks that I am, I really hope it gets permission and construction starts this year so it can be as successful as One Albert Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This idea has been kicked around for as long as I can remember.

I don't see where the money for set-up is going to come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

The cork Area Transit study looked a Luas for Cork but the cost:benefit analysis said a Rapid Bus service was better.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/corkareatransitsystemstudy/CATS%20Study%20Final%20Report%20Feb%202010_opt1.pdf

What's most frustrating is when the Government decided to roll out the first Rapid Bus system it was in Dublin. Of course that has never come to fruition.

• Advertisement

This idea has been kicked around for as long as I can remember.

I don't see where the money for set-up is going to come from.

Europe. Interest rates are so low its practically free cash. Plus they are all for loaning to spend on infrastructure.

Advertisement