Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro/Tram Service in Cork City

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭cgcsb

every metro in spain is called metro. Every U-bahn in Germany is called the U-bahn and so on, for consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

cgcsb wrote: »
    every metro in spain is called metro. Every U-bahn in Germany is called the U-bahn and so on, for consistency.
    Boston and New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, Beijing and Shanghai, Toronto and Montreal, Seoul and Busan, Glasgow and London, Tokyo and Osaka are all examples of different names in the same countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭thomil

Every U-bahn in Germany is called the U-bahn and so on, for consistency.

Apples and Oranges. U-Bahn is short for Untergrundbahn, or Underground Railway, which is an apt description for what it actually is. LUAS is a marketing term that has nothing to do with an actual tram. I'm all for giving the Cork system a different name. Also what's with this Green & Red Line BS? Why not go for a classical numbers based system, Line 1, Line 2, etc.?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

A lot of tram-train systems in Germany are called S-Bahns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

thomil wrote: »
    Apples and Oranges. U-Bahn is short for Untergrundbahn, or Underground Railway, which is an apt description for what it actually is. LUAS is a marketing term that has nothing to do with an actual tram. I'm all for giving the Cork system a different name. Also what's with this Green & Red Line BS? Why not go for a classical numbers based system, Line 1, Line 2, etc.?
    And I've never liked the name LUAS either. Poor description. Could have just gone with Dublin Metro.
    I guess Green and Red makes it easier to see on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And I've never liked the name LUAS either. Poor description. Could have just gone with Dublin Metro.
    Public transport in the GDA seems to be seperated into reasonably defined terms: Luas, Metro and DART/heavy rail.

Luas is light rail primarily street based, Metro is higher capacity segregated light rail and DART is heavy rail on heavy rail tracks, obviously any new developments would be totally segregated and level crossings are removed where possible.

The penny pinching attitude of Luas solves all has led to the current mess in Dublin city centre, and trying to squeeze too much out of the same street space is why Dublin is a giant jam with cars everywhere and sardine tin Luas and DARTs.

For those who haven't seen it before, take a look at the Montpelier tram system. Something we should aspire to in Cork. Jam packed, and they weren't afraid to tunnel some sections where needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Incorrect. The Hamburg Hochbahn operates underground lines. In Germany some U-bahn routes can be as much overground as some S-bahn routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Nor do I but it's not a Metro either it's a tram. Most European cities treat trams pretty much the exact same as buses with only Metros getting the special treatment.

PreCocious wrote: »
    Incorrect. The Hamburg Hochbahn operates underground lines. In Germany some U-bahn routes can be as much overground as some S-bahn routes.

Hochbahn only operates the U-Bahn in Hamburg. That's like calling the Luas Transdev.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can you imagine the reaction to an actual route/implementation when there is this much discussion and disagreement over a potential bloody nsme. You know it will be called that Cart anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭thomil

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Nor do I but it's not a Metro either it's a tram. Most European cities treat trams pretty much the exact same as buses with only Metros getting the special treatment.

That is factually incorrect. Many European cities have what is known as a pre-metro or Stadtbahn system, where the inner-city sections are served by tram-tracks, while outer sections are run on dedicated tracks. The majority of German cities with a tram system have switched to this system, amongst others Mannheim, Heidelberg, Ludwigshafen, Frankfurt, Kassel, the Ruhr area, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Hannover, Bielefeld (if that exists), Saarbrücken, or Braunschweig, to name but a few. Quite a few of those cities have actually gone one step further, and are running parts of their network underground, while others, like Karlsruhe or Saarbrücken for example, operate on mainline rail tracks. So there's quite a few precedents, but I guess Dublin had to be special again.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    That is factually incorrect. Many European cities have what is known as a pre-metro or Stadtbahn system, where the inner-city sections are served by tram-tracks, while outer sections are run on dedicated tracks. The majority of German cities with a tram system have switched to this system, amongst others Mannheim, Heidelberg, Ludwigshafen, Frankfurt, Kassel, the Ruhr area, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Hannover, Bielefeld (if that exists), Saarbrücken, or Braunschweig, to name but a few. Quite a few of those cities have actually gone one step further, and are running parts of their network underground, while others, like Karlsruhe or Saarbrücken for example, operate on mainline rail tracks. So there's quite a few precedents, but I guess Dublin had to be special again.

I more talking about in terms of branding etc. Most German cities for example brand their buses and trams the same way. For example Berlin operates high frequency MetroBus/Tram services as more or less the same mode.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Boston and New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, Beijing and Shanghai, Toronto and Montreal, Seoul and Busan, Glasgow and London, Tokyo and Osaka are all examples of different names in the same countries.

Yes but none of them are European except for the UK, which styles it's self on not being European.

PreCocious wrote: »
    So? none of that alters the fact that Sbahn and Ubahn are what they are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »

Yes but none of them are European except for the UK, which styles it's self on not being European.
    The Romance languages use metro exclusively (Brazil, France, Spain, Italy, Mexico) the rest of the world mixes it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

So? none of that alters the fact that Sbahn and Ubahn are what they are called.

Nope. It's like calling the U-Bahn the Hochbahn. The HVV refers to many U lines as Hochbahn probably because it predates the U designation. Much like S-Bahn Berlin regularly refers to the S41/S42 as the Ringbahn.

In a lot of cities U/S-Bahn is a designation slapped on to an already fairly integrated network.

The Berliners went even further adding the moniker Metro to bus routes to indicate frequency (often not much different to non metrobus routes) and not underground-ness. The M29 is used by 55,000 people and known as the "bus from hell".

It's all just marketing so they may as well use a descriptive name (eg DART) rather than demeaning a well established name by using it to name a slow service that operates twice an hour.

(At this stage I've almost forgotten what the original argument was).

Advertisement