Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset Help

Options
  • 12-03-2017 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I removed my forks today as my headset has been feeling a bit rough and noisy lately so an overhaul was planned.

However, when I removed the bottom bearing it disintegrated so now I need a new lower headset bearing. The upper bearing is fine. It's a Giant Defy 4 (2014).

I cleaned the bearing shell and the dimensions ∅46.9x7x45 are inscribed.

I've checked out CRC and a few others but I can't find anyone that has this size in stock.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Could be either MR-137 or MH-P22 depending on the inner diameter (37mm vs 34.1mm)

Variation-of-Headset-Bearings-ACB-Integrated-amp-Integral-RoadMTB-Sold-individuallyABEC-1-291731697128-003f-800x399.jpg

Variation-of-Headset-Bearings-ACB-Integrated-amp-Integral-RoadMTB-Sold-individuallyABEC-1-291731697128-e66e-800x399.jpg

I bought a replacement headset bearing from Rulla Bearings a couple of years ago. They're out of stock of the MR137, but you should be able to find something on eBay if that's the one you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Also try these, good quality and cheap. Worth getting a spare to save on future postage rates....

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/components/headset-bearings.html?___SID=U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well since its Sunday and most places will be closed, and you have time on your hands.. Have you tried Halfords (seriously)?.

Some stores (like Coolock) have a decent range of serviceable parts. The young lads might look at you a bit thick if you ask them too many technical questions but if you know what you're looking for & have time to kill today then Halfords isn't a bad place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for the links. The internal diameter is 34mm so I'll order one from rulla.

I'd plenty of time to spare today so I cleaned and reassembled the disintegrated bearing. I packed it full with grease and put it back in to the frame. It's not exactly buttery smooth but it will do the job until the new one arrives.

Advertisement