Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploding lightbulbs

Options
  • 12-03-2017 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I moved into a new place and the candle type light bulbs in kitchen keep exploding and tripping the switch when they do. Have had about 5 bulbs blow and trip the fuse in the last few weeks. I've attached a picture of the fitting and the last bulb that blew - this one went bang and the glass detached from the metal base.
    The max wattage is 60W (I presume that means 60W for EACH bulb) so I am using the equivalent low energy versions.
    There are no other electrical problems in the house, I make sure not to get oil/residue on the bulls when installing, the wiring in the fittings seems fine and the connections in the fittings themselves don't seem corroded or dirty.

The bulbs tend to melt/blow through the threaded metal screw-in base which I have shown in picture, sometimes it blows a much bigger hole than those in these pics. I cant figure out why this would be happening. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I'd say it's 60 watt in total, What make bulbs are they? You could try leds.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

low quality bulbs, change for LED on energy saving bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭starstreamer8

Thanks for responses.

Bulbs are "status" brand, think I got them in B and Q or somewhere like that. I will try LED replacements and see how they work. Any particular brands or shops I should try or avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've been using the ones from Dealz for the last few years without issue.

You're not tightening the hell out of them when you're fitting them or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

LED bulbs from IKEA works fine in my home, bulbs from DEALZ, Mr. Price was exploding with big bang and trip down fuse ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had to stick to philips. I found other brands blow. Its most likely an electrical problem but no electrician cold ever find a problem. We must go through about 10~20 blubs a year. They used t blow as you describe. But with the energy saving ones and using a good brand they just fail these days without blowing. Never had this in another other house.

Advertisement