Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right Hook KO

• 12-03-2017 5:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Lampley is some dummy. "Perfect right hand shot". Does he even watch the fights or is he just in autopilot blabber mode. Huge KO for Lemieux, looks to have the best one punch power in the division. If Canelo gets past Chavez a fight with Lemieux would seem a certainty for September-ish

Winner to fight Triple G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That right hook KO an absolute stunner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snowflaker wrote: »
    Winner to fight Triple G?

David Lemieux already fought him, and was given a boxing lesson before being stopped, so I hope it's Canelo who faces Triple G.

• Advertisement

David Lemieux already fought him, and was given a boxing lesson before being stopped, so I hope it's Canelo who faces Triple G.

Yeah I want Canelo to fight GGG if this is the only way to make him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

pac_man wrote: »
    Who will also receive a boxing lesson unless Canelo waits till he's 40. I wouldn't be sleeping on Chavez Jr, seems to be in decent shape for that fight.

Whatever about winning, I'm pretty certain Canelo won't be outboxed by Golovkin. Actually the more I think of it the more I like Canelo's chances if the fight ever comes off.

I was on record saying that GGG decimates Canelo. I don't see that now. The Brook fight changed my view a fair bit. Canelo hits hard, takes a good punch and can box and defend when called on. If Canelo can take GGGs offence he has a huge chance.

If it comes down to a pure boxing match I make Canelo a favourite.

walshb wrote: »
    I was on record saying that GGG decimates Canelo. I don't see that now. The Brook fight changed my view a fair bit. Canelo hits hard, takes a good punch and can box and defend when called on. If Canelo can take GGGs offence he has a huge chance.

If it comes down to a pure boxing match I make Canelo a favourite.

So why does he avoid it so much???

snowflaker wrote: »
    So why does he avoid it so much???

Fear? Wait for the backlash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I would use GGG's dismantling of Lemieux as proof he beats Canelo far more than I would his half arsed Brook win (where he still effectively broke his opponents face)

Morrison J wrote: »
    I would use GGG's dismantling of Lemieux as proof he beats Canelo far more than I would his half arsed Brook win (where he still effectively broke his opponents face)

Well, the Brook win is his most recent showing. Did he have a really off night, or is he not as dominant as some think? Bottom line is that Canelo can box and punch, and GGG can be tagged a fair bit.

My change of view is based off the fact that Brook not only hit GGG with relative ease, but he was also still standing upright and not destroyed at the end. If Canelo takes GGGs offence, then his own offence and punching variety gives him an excellent chance. Yes, on points I make Canelo a favourite.

Also Lemieux v Eubank Jr is a fantastic action fight and needs to happen.

walshb wrote: »
    Well, the Brook win is his most recent showing. Did he have a really off night, or is he not as dominant as some think? Bottom line is that Canelo can box and punch, and GGG can be tagged a fair bit.

My change of view is based off the fact that Brook not only hit GGG with relative ease, but he was also still standing upright and not destroyed at the end. If Canelo takes GGGs offence, then his own offence and punching variety gives him an excellent chance. Yes, on points I make Canelo a favourite.

I think if you watch GGG's fights back he doesn't mind taking a shot. He trusts his chin in every fight bar the Lemieux fight where he won behind the jab as he was facing a fighter with genuinely dangerous power. Brook didn't hurt him once and GGG basically toyed with him. Result never in doubt. I think people read too much into Brook landing clean on GGG a couple of times. GGG just shrugged them off like always. Even in the Dominic Wade fight GGG stands in the pocket, puts both his hands to the side and takes two flush shots. He doesn't mind taking punches, just a different breed altogether.

Having a broken eye socket is basically being destroyed. He was literally a minute away from getting the showreel KO but the towel was thrown in first.

Canelo is only a favourite on points because he'll prob rob GGG on the cards like he did previously to Lara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Lemieux is quite an average fighter who's blessed with ridiculous power. Wouldn't use it as exhibit A when judging a fighter. Even though the Brook fight was a subpar choice of opponent, it's probably Golovkin's best win to date. Golovkin battered him in the end, but he didn't knock him down, and Brook did have some joy. Of course the raging Golovkin fans online will tell you their boy had a raging flu that would have made Andre Ward stay in inactivity for another two years but frankly, Golovkin's power bailed him out. He's got good skills, a good brain but he's certainly not unbeatable. Kell Brook is a handy boxer but again, not a once in a lifetime fighter. He's rightfully favourite against Canelo but Canelo has a great chance. Golovkin is arguably past prime and hasn't a stunning name on his resume. Obviously a very talented boxer but I think he's the most overrated boxer in donkey's years. Why not fight him? Why should he? The risk doesn't outweigh the reward imo. People go on about Triple G this Triple G that, but the fact is he isn't a massive draw in Boxing. The numbers don't lie. There were reports that the fight with Lemieux didn't do the 150k as reported and was closer to 100k. Chavez will bring bigger numbers, and honestly Chavez is no cherry pick. A Chavez KO or decision wouldn't shock me at all...in fact I think as a gambler, there's a tonne of value in picking Chavez. People are calling Canelo chicken this and chicken that but Canelo has taken on some very difficult fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo is a far better fighter than Lemieux. Triple G gave a boxing lesson to an average fighter, who happens to have great ko power. He won't do that to Canelo. If Canelo can take his power, i'd favour him to win on points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Jaysus, I'm shocked. I was expecting to have to go into lengthy discussions over why I think Canelo has a good chance, but it's being done for me. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Burial. wrote: »
    . People are calling Canelo chicken this and chicken that but Canelo has taken on some very difficult fights.

I dont really think anyone is saying Canelo hasn't taken big/difficult fights quite the opposite really.

But the fact remains he appears to be actively avoiding the only other middleweight champ at the moment worth talking about and his love affair with fighting at catchweights is another detractor.

I (and I'd assume many others) most certainly want to see ggg and Canelo go at it to see who can effectively unify the division. Any other matchup for either man is just indicative of this modern phenomenon of title holders beating about the bush when it comes to fighting the other title holders in their division.

This sorta carry on wouldn't have been tolerated during the fabulous four era and imo it shouldn't be tolerated now either.

Why not fight him? Why should he? The risk doesn't outweigh the reward imo. People go on about Triple G this Triple G that, but the fact is he isn't a massive draw in Boxing. The numbers don't lie. There were reports that the fight with Lemieux didn't do the 150k as reported and was closer to 100k. Chavez will bring bigger numbers
    Chavez will not bring bigger numbers than GGG for Canelo. Absolutely no way.

GGG v Canelo will be massive if it happens.

There are a million reasons Canelo should fight GGG and I dont think Canelo himself is afraid to do it. It's Golden Boy wanting to milk their cash cow for what he's worth before he takes that damaging loss.

Lemieux is quite an average fighter who's blessed with ridiculous power. Wouldn't use it as exhibit A when judging a fighter. Even though the Brook fight was a subpar choice of opponent, it's probably Golovkin's best win to date. Golovkin battered him in the end, but he didn't knock him down, and Brook did have some joy. Of course the raging Golovkin fans online will tell you their boy had a raging flu that would have made Andre Ward stay in inactivity for another two years but frankly, Golovkin's power bailed him out. He's got good skills, a good brain but he's certainly not unbeatable. Kell Brook is a handy boxer but again, not a once in a lifetime fighter.

Lemieux was a far riskier fight than Brook. There was literally zero way Brook wins that fight. Lemieux easily a better win.

"Golovkin's power bailed him out" is a bit of an outrageous statement too. He was always in control of that fight despite essentially allowing Brook to tag away at him and doing damage to Brook in return everytime he landed. Had him wobbled in the first and I've little doubt he could have ended it pretty much when he liked.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Chavez will not bring bigger numbers than GGG for Canelo. Absolutely no way.

GGG v Canelo will be massive if it happens.

There are a million reasons Canelo should fight GGG and I dont think Canelo himself is afraid to do it. It's Golden Boy wanting to milk their cash cow for what he's worth before he takes that damaging loss.

Agreed. I.m surprised to think that Chavez could do more numbers. Canelo-GGG is in the top 5 big fights to be made across all divisions. GGG is quite a big name. Canelo is huge. Chavez is washed up....

Outside of the HW fights to be made GGG-Canelo is the biggest fight and probably the one the fans want to see more than any other. Anyone claiming that Canelo not wanting it due to little financial reward is ridiculous.

pac_man wrote: »
    Just looking at Canelos history with pressure fighters, he has a tendency to stay on the ropes good bit to get a breather. Whatever chance you have at winning against GGG, you need to stay off the ropes. Does he have the strength or intelligence to rough it up and make it a messy fight a la Andre Ward. I'm not convinced. I just don't see Canelo having the gas tank to sustain that pressure, especially with that footwork that GGG has that makes you throw a punch in order to get some respite.

Don't get me wrong, Canelo's boxing ability is understated and he has some very good wins but against boxers that don't throw enough or not near the same frequency/venom as GGG. Sure he's yet to have a proper fight at middleweight yet!

Let's see how he gets on with Chavez Jr which is a good 'tune up' to GGG.

The real key for Canelo is can he discourage GGG with his punching? If Canelo cannot hurt or get GGGs respect then he could be hurt badly himself from GGG. If Canelo can hurt GGG then GGG could be in trouble.

Canelo still has options should his own punches not really hurt GGG. Canelo has a good chin, and can duck and dive and spoil when needed. GGG sets a good pace, and is a good volume puncher, but some quality ducking and diving and spoiling from Canelo should get him some breathing room. GGG isn't all that fast with his punches. Canelo can anticipate and react.

If this goes to points and the punch stats are similar for Canelo and GGG in terms of thrown shots then IMO Canelo's better variety and accuracy could be the deciding factor.

GGG does indeed throw more than Canelo in his fights, but against lesser opposition than Canelo. This may skew the comparison.

Top 3..I mean, when you look at those in the top tens he has to be well up there.

When they aren't fighting each other it's difficult to assess.

Advertisement