Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact v traditional handlebar

Options
  • 12-03-2017 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi
    Just looking into different handlebars for bike and can't decide whether to go for a compact or a traditional handlebar.
    Are the compact bars just a marketing gimmick or are.they more comfortable. I don't race and am rarely in the drops really so thinking of getting compact but just want to hear what other people think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I own bikes with both standard and compact bars. The difference is insignificant, usually at the beginning of the season when I'm still not stretched well I find the compact slightly more comfy but this can also be down to geometry difference between the bikes. If I had to chose I would go for compact though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have compact on both bikes even though both of them came with traditional sized/shape bars which I didn't like. With compact bars the transition from bar tops to hoods to drops is shorter and quicker and suits the size of my hands perfectly.

If you have large shovel like hands then traditional sized bars may be more suitable to accommodate the longer fingers and larger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The rule of thumb is that traditional bars are suited to those with better flexibility (and better core strength too). They generally position the hoods further away and the your upper body is lower too when in their deeper drops, so they usually provide a more aerodynamic position.

Size of hands is a factor but some bars with "traditional" reach and drop have drops which are shaped to fit the hand better so that they'll be comfortable for smaller hands as well. Compact bars are usually kinder on your lower back though, and probably your neck and hamstrings too since they leave you a little more upright when in the drops. You can still crouch low on compact bars of course, they just give the option of not doing so.

Personally I prefer compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

It depends on how low you want to go on the drops. There are two ways of adjusting that - stem height and handlebar drop.
    Decide how low you want to go and work it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

It depends on how low you want to go on the drops. There are two ways of adjusting that - stem height and handlebar drop.
    Decide how low you want to go and work it out from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Compact bars make the hoods and tops lower.

There are lots of pros using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

I swapped my deep traditional (Deda Newton Deep) handlebars for compact ones (FSA Omega compact) a few years ago, and couldn't be happier... I can reach the brake levers much more easily, and the discs in my aging back are much happier too....

Advertisement