Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite place to eat in Tullamore

• 12-03-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I was at home during the week for the first time in ages and couldn't decide on a place to grab some grub on Thursday night. Ended up in the Townhouse and couldn't of been happier with the food/service. Just said I'd throw it up here and see what's everyones favourite place to get food in town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

For pub grub I've found the Town house to be good and on the few times we've eaten in the Brewery Tap it's been excellent. I'd recommend trying the tap next time you're in town. As regards non pub food we would go to Siroccos and Shishir mostly. Both very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Blue apron is pretty decent too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Never really liked the Blue Apron, always find I'm squashed in.
    I used to love the Italian in the Bridge hotel but since they changed the menu I think it's not as nice.
    I was in the captain house for the fist time last week and was blown away by the food but again felt squashed. Think I'll try the captain house again next time.

For pub grub I like the copper pot but I am holding out for Tanyard lane to start their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Can't beat the fillet steak in Siroccos :D

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »

Was there last week. Prices are a bit higher than normal for pub grub but quality is a bit better too.
    Wings for starter lacked a good punch
    Had deep fried ling and chips for main which was excellent.
    The cocktails are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Chips out of a freezer when i had them, food ok but not that spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Favourite would be the blue apron or captain house. Really liked the restaurant upstairs in wolf trap before it closed too.

Used to like the copper pot just for dinner on a Sunday but there was an older blonde lady who overcharged us by quite a lot one Sunday, argued about it when she was asked (we were polite, there was no apology or acknowledgement that she made a mistake) and gave the refund back as a gift voucher.

A few weeks later we went in again and the same lady was extremely rude about where we sat. There was two of us and the only free table was for 4 people. We sat there anyway and she basically said that table was for a larger group, that if we wanted to wait at the bar for an available table. At that point we just walked out and we didn't go back.

Was very surprised by her manner as that would have been my local to drink in, and myself and him would get dinner there quite regularly and the staff in general are lovely. She was a horror.

The tanyard lane, just had lunch in here once. It was alright. I'd rather go down to the coffee club though and have a noodle bowl from there for the same price it was nicer.

Love siroccos as a treat for a meal out but not that mad on Italian so wouldn't go too often.

The townhouse, meh. The foods ok but that place gives me the creeps. It feels unfinished or something, it's not a nice atmosphere.

TBH if we're going for dinner, I'd usually want to head to the castle in tyrellspass or if there's a lot of us, then it used to be the charleville restaurant in the bridge. Haven't been to char yet, or the tap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I like the Tullamore Dew visitor centre cafe/restaurant, although I think it's only open for lunch.

Wouldn't be that keen on Siroccos, been twice recently and the food was just ok but service was ludicrously slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

'Jamie's' in Main Street (moved from Harbour Street) some years ago was always good especially the steak. Family run, lovely people.
    Was a lovely 'chipper' at the top of the town if its till there. Home made cakes, apple tarts etc. in Tyrell's shop on Earl Street.

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    'Jamie's' in Main Street (moved from Harbour Street) some years ago was always good especially the steak. Family run, lovely people.
    Was a lovely 'chipper' at the top of the town if its till there. Home made cakes, apple tarts etc. in Tyrell's shop on Earl Street.

Yes Jamie's was a great place. Suffered slightly from its location on Main Street as it's a quiet area of town for passing trade. But it seemed busy enough any time we were in it. Jamie runs the Busbar now which has a great pint of the black stuff.

Carmines chipper on Main street do a lovely bag of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Favourite would be the blue apron or captain house. Really liked the restaurant upstairs in wolf trap before it closed too.

Used to like the copper pot just for dinner on a Sunday but there was an older blonde lady who overcharged us by quite a lot one Sunday, argued about it when she was asked (we were polite, there was no apology or acknowledgement that she made a mistake) and gave the refund back as a gift voucher.

A few weeks later we went in again and the same lady was extremely rude about where we sat. There was two of us and the only free table was for 4 people. We sat there anyway and she basically said that table was for a larger group, that if we wanted to wait at the bar for an available table. At that point we just walked out and we didn't go back.

Was very surprised by her manner as that would have been my local to drink in, and myself and him would get dinner there quite regularly and the staff in general are lovely. She was a horror.

The tanyard lane, just had lunch in here once. It was alright. I'd rather go down to the coffee club though and have a noodle bowl from there for the same price it was nicer.

Love siroccos as a treat for a meal out but not that mad on Italian so wouldn't go too often.

The townhouse, meh. The foods ok but that place gives me the creeps. It feels unfinished or something, it's not a nice atmosphere.

TBH if we're going for dinner, I'd usually want to head to the castle in tyrellspass or if there's a lot of us, then it used to be the charleville restaurant in the bridge. Haven't been to char yet, or the tap

Townhouse is run by the same people as Tyrellspass Castle afaik. I've only had lunch there before and it was poor.

Speaking of tyrellspass, anyone tried Brownes there? Heard a few good reports, but they were from people whose culinary judgement wouldn't necessarily be the same as mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There are very few restaurants I like in Tullamore. Blue Apron has probably the best restaurant food, Sheshir is nice, Captain's Table has solid basic dishes and food in Balcone seems to be much better lately. They have some of the worst service though and waiters that were not even taught how to hold wine glasses.

I think Tullamore Dew was better couple of years ago. Townhouse is absolutely awful and on par with food served by shop counters. Sirocco is pleasant enough restaurant but they tend to overcook fish and pizzas are not great. We haven't bother with Copper Pot since we had bad dinner in Jamie's. There is lack of imaginative and well prepared food in town. There really is more to a starter than garlic mushrooms or spring rolls and mains often seem to be very boring too.

I was in Tanyard lane again on Saturday and was looking forward to it after two good experiences previously and to be honest I was really disappointed. The wife and I ordered the same thing and both came out different. My chip we cold, hers hot, Her bun toasted, mine not so quite chewy and inedible. She got side salad, I didn't. Very odd to see two meals plated at the same time come out so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Speaking of tyrellspass, anyone tried Brownes there? Heard a few good reports, but they were from people whose culinary judgement wouldn't necessarily be the same as mine.

We've been there twice. There were some decent dishes but there were also some big misses. First time they just got candyfloss machine and they were adding it everywhere including on duck main. The deserts were too big and too heavy. The rest was ok. The second time oh got the worst steak he ever had, it had some weird after taste and it looked like it was cooked on very low temperature for too long. Steak was ordered medium rare. Staff there were poached from Balcone and the place suffers from same problems. There is potential for improvement because some things were good but for me New Forrest is a lot better restaurant in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I wouldn't be familiar with dining out in the evening time. My daughter treated me to lunch in The Coffee Club last Christmas and I was impressed as I was the other two times I visited previously. Staff were very friendly and nothing too much trouble. The coffee I had was to die for. Going to go in next month for lunch and going to try a cold meat salad for a change and a slice of chocolate cake.

Haven't been to the Bridge house restaurant for many years but it used to be top class imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Carvery in The Bridge House or The Court Hotel. Can't go too wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Court hotel has the worst service I've ever witnessed in their lobby. The staff are rude, the managers are rude, it's a miracle if you're approached by anyone to have your order taken, it's more often than not littered with empty glasses cups and plates because the tables aren't cleaned regularly. The menu is mediocre, I've never walked out of there blown away by anything except their rudeness.

Bridge carvery not as comfy but service and food is ten times better than court lobby

Advertisement