Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four red rings on Xbox 360 Slim.

Options
  • 12-03-2017 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

EDIT: Decided to rewrite this post to make it more specific.

I've had my Xbox 360 Slim with a good few years. This morning I turned it on and it was stuck on the Xbox 360 logo and didn't seem to be going anywhere so I turned it off and back on again. When I did so the power supply light went green, the screen stayed black and I got what looks to be four red lights on the console (pictures attached).

According to this Wikipedia page of Xbox 360 Technical Problems, the four red lights occurs "When the AV cable is not detected, due to not being plugged in" and that "this error is not displayed on consoles with an HDMI connection" which is what I have and is leaving me confused. It sure looks like four rings unless it's actually three? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

What colour is the light on the power supply brick when the xbox is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A friend of mine that got this problem 2 years back on the Slim, I looked it up and found a solution. I'm guessing you aren't plugging your console direct in to the wall, but to a multi plug adapter? I do too and have never had a problem for having done so *but* the solution that was brought up was to plug direct in to the wall. The friend I told to try that said he had and it didn't work and was out of warranty. I had him bring it over to my place. I plugged it direct in to the wall, and guess what? It worked and only then did he admit he hadn't done it at all. I have since given this same info to probably 10 other people in facebook groups. I think 2 of those people it didn't work for but given they are living elsewhere in the world I don't know they tried it or they were like my friend who said he had but never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

What colour is the light on the power supply brick when the xbox is on?
    Green

Pushtrak wrote: »
    A friend of mine that got this problem 2 years back on the Slim, I looked it up and found a solution. I'm guessing you aren't plugging your console direct in to the wall, but to a multi plug adapter? I do too and have never had a problem for having done so *but* the solution that was brought up was to plug direct in to the wall. The friend I told to try that said he had and it didn't work and was out of warranty. I had him bring it over to my place. I plugged it direct in to the wall, and guess what? It worked and only then did he admit he hadn't done it at all. I have since given this same info to probably 10 other people in facebook groups. I think 2 of those people it didn't work for but given they are living elsewhere in the world I don't know they tried it or they were like my friend who said he had but never did.
    No luck unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Might be no harm to unplug all the cables (power, HDMI etc.), leave it for 5 minutes and plug them back in.

Try removing the hard drive and see does it the light go green when you turn it on?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for ye're help lads, I've tried all of the above but to no avail unfortunately.

I was thinking of getting another 360 and just putting my old hard drive into it so I wouldn't have to re-download things. Would there be any issues with regard to license transfer or anything?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks very much for ye're help lads, I've tried all of the above but to no avail unfortunately.

I was thinking of getting another 360 and just putting my old hard drive into it so I wouldn't have to re-download things. Would there be any issues with regard to license transfer or anything?

In theory, once you're signed in, it should be ok, but you might have to do a license transfer on some of them, particularly if your internet is flaky.

See more here.

Depending on the games you've got, you might want to look into an Xbox One S. There's some great deals now, and the Backward Compatibility is great and getting better.

CatInABox wrote: »
    In theory, once you're signed in, it should be ok, but you might have to do a license transfer on some of them, particularly if your internet is flaky.

See more here.

Depending on the games you've got, you might want to look into an Xbox One S. There's some great deals now, and the Backward Compatibility is great and getting better.
    I have an Xbox One already, it's at my brother's currently. Will I still have to re-download everything?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have an Xbox One already, it's at my brother's currently. Will I still have to re-download everything?

I did it once, long ago, and now can't remember. I don't think so, I think if you're the account signed in, then everything will work without any new download needed, but if someone else wanted to play those games, you might need to redownload them.

Advertisement