Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Bike buying advice

Options
  • 12-03-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all how are we doing?

I have been cycling for the last many years now......commuting and road cycling. But when I was a teenager 20 odd years ago :( I had a mountain bike and used to try go of road as much as possible.

Yesterday I went to Ballyhoura!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG I haven't had as much craic in ages!

I currently commute in and out of work everyday....around 3/4 km.

Plan 1) Save a while and get an entry level MTB as a second bike.

Plan2) Save a while, sell my commuter and get a slightly better bike and use it for the commute also.

We were using their Cube analog bikes (Grey n black).
    A second hand one of those would be peach.

Any thoughts on the Halfords Carrera stuff?

I just need something to buzz off at the weekend and potentially the commute.
    Lockable front suspension would be good mon-fri.

Im aware that cycling can be a black hole of 'gear fetishing' and MTBing looks no different:D so just a good solid bike.

I would aim to make good use of it at the weekend. Im in Cork, 25 min drive from Tracton.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Oh yeah.......

Mechanical vs Hydraulic discs.........is there any difference really?

pegdrums wrote: »
    Oh yeah.......

Mechanical vs Hydraulic discs.........is there any difference really?

Any hints or tips........dos and don't of buying a mountain bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike

Winner of best entry level hardtail bike for the last number of years. If you know someone with a discount card you'll get a further 10% off or more.

I got this bike second hand and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Give the lads in Ballyhoura a shout, they sell off the rental bikes fairly regularly very cheap. They are well used but to be fair they are very well maintained also. (Hydraulic by the way).

If possible I'd keep the commuting bike and the mtb seperate otherwise you'll have to start making compromises regarding tyres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

topcat77 wrote: »
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike

Winner of best entry level hardtail bike for the last number of years. If you know someone with a discount card you'll get a further 10% off or more.

I got this bike second hand and love it.

I'm not quite sure who gave this hardtail of the year award but I'd be inclined to look at second hand over that one to be honest.

Plenty of great bikes out there for less money.

http://touch.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/cube-ltd-race-mountain-bike/11867104

http://touch.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/cube-analog-29-mtb/12102085

If you're in FB look at the MTB buy & sell group some bargains pop up there from time to time if you're willing to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Give the lads in Ballyhoura a shout, they sell off the rental bikes fairly regularly very cheap. They are well used but to be fair they are very well maintained also. (Hydraulic by the way).

What xxyyzz has said; the bikes will be better spec'd for the money (even second hand), not to mention set-up, than anything you can buy from Halfords, Decathalon, GoOutdoors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yes second hand from the rental crowd is the business. i bought a hardtail from the biking.ie lads in ballinastoe previously. certainly looked like it had been used (scuff marks on cranks etc) but was in great nick for the money i paid.

Thanks for the advice.

A decent second hand bike sounds like a winner. Made that mistake with a road bike before.......It was shiny, I was giddy and that was that!!

In terms of owning two bikes that could be a hard sell to my better half!

I was thinking of swapping out the tyres for the weekend (along with removing mudguards and rack).
    One decent bike VS a "I couldn't afford a decent second bike" situation.

Has anyone done this?

Does ballyhoura have its own website or is it just through the coillte site?

Does ballyhoura have its own website or is it just through the coillte site?

The shop

http://www.trailriders.ie/

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Thanks for the advice.

A decent second hand bike sounds like a winner. Made that mistake with a road bike before.......It was shiny, I was giddy and that was that!!

In terms of owning two bikes that could be a hard sell to my better half!

I was thinking of swapping out the tyres for the weekend (along with removing mudguards and rack).
    One decent bike VS a "I couldn't afford a decent second bike" situation.

Has anyone done this?

Just buy them gradually, I'm up to 4 and they are all needed :P

The main thing is to get a frame that fits you, if it's too big it will be like riding a gate. If you get it second hand check that there is a bit of life left in the brake pads, also bring along a chain wear tool if you can. If the drivetrain has had a hard life and wasn't looked after you'll need to replace the chain and cassette. They are just extra expenses to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Buying a used mountain bike is not same as buying a 2nd hand road bike. These bikes see so much abuse in harsh conditions, that even with a trained eye it may be hard to estimate the condition of it. Best would be to take a friend who rides or knows common wear places on these bikes to get a good look at it. Things like bottom brackets, wheel bearings, brake system, suspension, rear derailleur they may be shot, but look impressive and clean. Don't fall for clean.

HT bike defo if on budget.

nordicb wrote: »
    Buying a used mountain bike is not same as buying a 2nd hand road bike. These bikes see so much abuse in harsh conditions, that even with a trained eye it may be hard to estimate the condition of it. Best would be to take a friend who rides or knows common wear places on these bikes to get a good look at it. Things like bottom brackets, wheel bearings, brake system, suspension, rear derailleur they may be shot, but look impressive and clean. Don't fall for clean.

For anything second hand, be it a pencil or a bike: "caveat emptor". Everything you've listed as a concern for mountain bikes is a concern for road bikes - with the exception of suspension of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Lemming wrote: »
    For anything second hand, be it a pencil or a bike: "caveat emptor". Everything you've listed as a concern for mountain bikes is a concern for road bikes - with the exception of suspension of course.

Budgeting for a new cassette and chain at a minimum is a good idea when buying any second hand bike.

I'd be inclined to look for a bike less than a year old, that should minimise the amount of abuse it's suffered.

What do you mean HT? HP Im guessing would be hire purchase. But yea, sound advice thanks.

All the previously mentioned concerns about damage have made me think about going NEW at the sacrifice of not getting as high-spec or flashy a bike. I know a gurantee wont cover pedals, tyres etc but it will cover frame and fork. €€€€€

I was in a bike shop here in Cork today and saw a diamondback sync 4.0
    I could get it for 420 on BTW.

I cant find any reviews or feedback online.
    It's easy to see where the money was saved but thought maybe you guys might have heard of them.

https://goo.gl/47XBr0

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

At this price new Im doing well to get hydraulic disks but wave bye bye to air suspension :(

HT = Hard tail

:rolleyes:

Of course.....!

Any thoughts on the diamondback?

What type of MTB you thinking of doing? Start with HT and then decide between 29" of 27.5" wheels ( forget 26") and the look at reviews (closer to your location the better) as in not USA or Continental reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

if you think ballyhoura is good, wait till you get to bike park ireland!

http://www.bikeparkireland.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/bikeparkireland/

this will all come down to budget, how much do you have to spend? id ignore the diamond back

What type of MTB you thinking of doing? Start with HT and then decide between 29" of 27.5" wheels ( forget 26") and the look at reviews (closer to your location the better) as in not USA or Continental reviews.

I've decided on 27.5 as it'll only be for mountain biking and not commuting.

As for the kind of mountain biking..... not downhill or anything super extreme. I'm looking for something to take me around ballyhoura or trackton....so something general enough I guess.
    ( xc or trail riding?....still getting my head around the terminology!)

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this will all come down to budget, how much do you have to spend? id ignore the diamond back

I've a MAX budget of 600. I'll check out bike park ireland...cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've a MAX budget of 600. I'll check out bike park ireland...cheers.

you wont get an amazing hard tail for that but you will get something to start you off. i think id recommend you look at the second hand markets, a very good website for such:

https://www.pinkbike.com/

29" perfect for ballyhouras. Don't ignore the Voodoo bikes in Halfords if buying new. The main bike designer for voodoo bikes is ex kona bikes.

Budgeting for a new cassette and chain at a minimum is a good idea when buying any second hand bike.

I'd be inclined to look for a bike less than a year old, that should minimise the amount of abuse it's suffered.

You'd think .... as a general rule of thumb, at a minimum I would be budgetting to have the front-suspension* stripped, inspected & serviced above anything else, unless the gears are hanging together. No need to defacto swap out a chain & cassette if gears aren't slipping & the chain isn't worn, but you have no idea with a visual inspection of what conditions the suspension (and/or linkage for a full-suspension frame) have been through. Any grime & dirt that's managed to get past the seals will be acting like sand-paper against the inner fork stanchions.

* times three, if it's a full suspension beastie

29" perfect for ballyhouras. Don't ignore the Voodoo bikes in Halfords if buying new. The main bike designer for voodoo bikes is ex kona bikes.

The bizango looks great. (Feature wise) and it's light too. Bit out of my reach though. Didn't look at the lesser voodoos but I will.

Lemming wrote: »
    You'd think .... as a general rule of thumb, at a minimum I would be budgetting to have the front-suspension* stripped, inspected & serviced above anything else, unless the gears are hanging together. No need to defacto swap out a chain & cassette if gears aren't slipping & the chain isn't worn, but you have no idea with a visual inspection of what conditions the suspension (and/or linkage for a full-suspension frame) have been through. Any grime & dirt that's managed to get past the seals will be acting like sand-paper against the inner fork stanchions.

* times three, if it's a full suspension beastie

This would be partly my worry going second hand. The othe would be hairline cracks or fractures in the frame. I'd say there's a few out there who thought they could be Danny macaskill until they heard a strange noise as they landed a big jump.....then decide to sell!

I buy everything second hand...I'm an adverts maniac. But a lemon of a mtb could get expensive quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Can you use BTW scheme to get a bike? This would double your budget pretty much and it would be a new bike too.

If at your work they don't do it, perhaps you know someone who could do this for you?

I have 26" bike, but when I tried 29 it felt like a freaking road bike on trails, haha. It did roll over obstacles nicer though. Think I would prefer 27.5...

26 can be quite harsh on hardtail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not always, many people buy bikes thinking they'll use them and never do and then decide to sell them a year or so later. I got my 29er last year for 1/3 of the new price and I doubt if the bike had 20 miles from new, the owner claimed he rode it maybe 5 or 6 times, I'd say 2 or 3 would have been more accurate. I had been looking for a few months and was prepared to wait till the right bike turned up. I effectively got a new €1200 bike for €400.

Advertisement