Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone app remote control for electric gate

Options
  • 12-03-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but we're going to motorize our gate and I see quite a lot of systems that use your mobile phone to open it : does anyone have any experience of this, or knowledge of its advantages/drawbacks compared to traditional remote control opening systems?

Apparently you load an app on your phone, and that's all you need.
    We're not in a high crime area, it's more to keep the dog from wandering, but even so, there might be issues I haven't thought of.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

First of all, if it is Security you are thinking of get a burglar system installed in your home

Automating electric Gates is for convenience not necessarily Security.

You can indeed open Gates with phones, this can be done by app, by ringing it or texting it.
    I don't know of any automation kit that does not come with remote controls anyway and it is not a case of one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh right, I thought it was phone app only, so that's good then, it's an extra option, not the only way it works, right?

And no, security isn't the issue, it's really cos we're sick of getting out of the car(s) every single time, to open and then shut the gate now we have the dog who is in and out of the house.

Also cos we need a bell there anyway, now that delivery men and the like sometimes hesitate about coming in, so will be bringing an electric cable there, and we thought we should maybe get it all done at once.

(Thanks for struggling through the mangled title by the way - I have asked the mods to edit it but no reply so far! Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I just reported the OP as though it broke a rule.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

No worries, as you are running an electric cable in run low voltage cables as well, they can be very handy for switching and intercoms etc.

To open auto Gates you can have; a switch on an intercom handset inside your house.
    Electronic numeric keypads which can be fitted inside and outside the gates.
    Remote fobs, which will work in close proximity to the gates.
    Then mobile phone control as I mentioned earlier.

Advertisement