Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8gig ram showing as 4gig

Options
  • 12-03-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i've had this issue a long time but just kept putting it off since it didn't really bother me too much.

I have 2 sticks of 8gig ram to total 16gig of ram

I troubleshooted it myself with using 1x8 gig ram in all slots and it showed it as only 4gigs of ram (tested both sticks)
    I have reset bios and updated to a handful of different bios updates to see if it would work on any of them.
    I reset the motherboard jumpers and also the cmos battery.

My board is Asus p8z68-v lx
    Memory is Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (each stick says 2x4gb)

Using windows 10 64bit

I'm all out of ideas on what to do next :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KilOit wrote: »
    Memory is Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (each stick says 2x4gb)

Are you sure you arent reading the kit size off the label and that they arent 4GB DIMMs?

image_preview

See the "kit" at the end. That indicates the label is for the full set, not just one stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

You are a genius and i'm a fool. you are right!:D
    Don't know how i got it into my head that i had 16bg ram, these are very old sticks

Advertisement