Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chokes

Options
  • 12-03-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Well lads I got a side by side shotgun with fixed chokes half and full id like to have them opened up to quarter and half choke can anyone recommend a gun Smith to do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

vwshooter wrote: »
    Well lads I got a side by side shotgun with fixed chokes half and full id like to have them opened up to quarter and half choke can anyone recommend a gun Smith to do this

What do you intend shooting?

With those chokes you could use 7's or 8's...for small game and still have some wallop for heavy cartridges if after foxes or duck etc..... could be a good all-rounder depending on cartridges used......all depend on what you are hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vwshooter

Be a pheasant and woodcock gun I have a semi auto for duck and foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For what its worth id leave well enough alone. Im shooting all my game with a a 3/4 and full side by side. Let them out, i know with the semi when i shot my game with it I only ever used 1/2 choke...come to think about it all my clays where shot with the semi 1/2 choke. 1/2 choke is a good all round choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vwshooter

KE_MAN wrote:
    **No Offers or Time Waters** Sold as seen.

Maybe I might see how it goes for next season the gun fitted like a glove that's why I bought it I have a semi auto as well.what cartridges are you using for pheasant and woodcock Cavan shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Id do just that see about hitting a few clays with it over the summer, most counties will have a side by side comp in the County shoot.

All i have ever used in my life has been 32g 6 or 28 grm 6 in all my game shooting and 1/2 choke as I said. Try it out and put the whole choke business out of your head.

I know a man who shoots all his clays (Sporting) with a GTi trap gun and he wont be beating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement