Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network speed issues on one device.

Options
  • 12-03-2017 3:27pm

Ok not sure whats going on here was about to call ISP about what I though were slow download speeds and mentioned to someone else here I was doing so until they mentioned they hadn't noticed any problem.

So I ran a speed test on their laptop and it was the usual 30+ mbps. Checked my phone, games console etc all good.

So back to the desktop I went 1mbps down 8mbps up, checked different browsers, transferred a 300mb file between the desktop and media server getting 100-200kbps transfer.

So desktop has a wireless card, not practical to run a cable to it. It's got full signal. Pings are in normal ranges for internet and local. Network monitor isn't showing anything chewing up bandwidth while PC is idle. Drivers haven't changed , location hasn't changed for either router or pc. Nothing installed recently bar PS4 remote play software which would be network related so I have removed it. Windows updates look ok and the laptop would have been subject to more or less the same ones. AV/Firewall are windows 10 built in ones. No changes made there.

So the problem looks to affect both local and external network traffic.

Desktop has an IP reservation on the router but so do a few other devices and they are not affected.

Any ideas guys :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

What kind of wireless card is in the computer ?. AS could be a issue with it.

As all depends on what speed the WIFI card support and could be interfacing with something in your house. I had that issue before in my old apartments with the WIFI would only get 2MB in my bedroom off a min of 100MB down WIFI network. Best way posable for a fix is home plugs.

Home plugs basically make dead zones stop and you can get ones that work from LAN to LAN or one that has a WIFI and Lan on the other end basically the one i have.

What kind of wireless card is in the computer ?. AS could be a issue with it.

As all depends on what speed the WIFI card support and could be interfacing with something in your house. I had that issue before in my old apartments with the WIFI would only get 2MB in my bedroom off a min of 100MB down WIFI network. Best way posable for a fix is home plugs.

Home plugs basically make dead zones stop and you can get ones that work from LAN to LAN or one that has a WIFI and Lan on the other end basically the one i have.

It's been working fine for a long long time and the speed just fell off a cliff yesterday for some reason. The pc sits practically on top of the router with the floor separating them, router is on top of the press downstairs. Every other device in the same room as the pc is grand.

Funnily enough I was reading about this exact scenario a few minutes ago. Great upload, terrible download on one device. In the case I was reading about it was caused by WMM which is part of QoS. Turning off WMM on the router fixed the issue.

What model of router are you using and I will look online to see if it comes with WMM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's been working fine for a long long time and the speed just fell off a cliff yesterday for some reason. The pc sits practically on top of the router with the floor separating them, router is on top of the press downstairs. Every other device in the same room as the pc is grand.

Could be issues with the network card then inside the PC. What model is it ?.

You do know loads of WIFI devices on the one network can cause issues and slow everything down for everyone.

But even over it things can still interfere with the router and PC.

I had a issue like that before in the office laptop was picking up shocking speeds on WIFI compare to the same one next to it and using a hell of a lot more high end router. Had a broken laptop with a failed motherboard took out there WIFI card and replaced it in the laptop giving the issues bam 400MB down speeds again turned out to be a failed network card.

Try moveing the PC to another room or even next to the router and see if the issues still happen.

Could be issues with the network card then inside the PC. What model is it ?.

You do know loads of WIFI devices on the one network can cause issues and slow everything down for everyone.

But even over it things can still interfere with the router and PC.

I had a issue like that before in the office laptop was picking up shocking speeds on WIFI compare to the same one next to it and using a hell of a lot more high end router. Had a broken laptop with a failed motherboard took out there WIFI card and replaced it in the laptop giving the issues bam 400MB down speeds again turned out to be a failed network card.

Try moveing the PC to another room or even next to the router and see if the issues still happen.

It's a generic PCI card Qualcomm I believe rated b/g/n . Not at all practical to move the pc to the router unfortunately.

Is there anything I can use to test the card for failure? I could remove the card and test it in another pc but dont have one. I'll have a rummage in my box of cables and assorted junk (we call have one don't we :pac:) I think I might have a wireless usb adaptor there so that might help.

edit: found the usb adaptor, full speed so dying pci card most likely the problem.

• Advertisement

Just something else that I realised and never really questioned and really should have known better is that even though the pci card is rated b/g/n it's always been connected at 54mbps was only when I used the USB one there it occurred to me the pci one was operating at G speeds all this time as in status the usb one is hitting 130+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

have you ruled out malware ?

Hi OP

have you ruled out malware ?

Yeah 1st thing I did was scan once I realised it wasn't an isp issue. Definitely faulty nic as it's fine now with a usb wireless adaptor.

Advertisement