Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton House Poll

Options
  • 12-03-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

Simple question for anyone who has played both of the courses at Carton House... which course is your favourite?

Monty's inland-links-style course or the rolling O'Meara parkland?

Which of Carton House's courses do you prefer? 56 votes

Montgomerie
    0% 0 votes
    O'Meara
    30% 17 votes
    No preference - happy to play either
    69% 39 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If I rolled up and was offered a game on my course of choice it would probably be O'Meara but I do like the Monty also. Only played O'Meara once since the new layout and it was pissing so I guess that would sway my decision in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Simple question for anyone who has played both of the courses at Carton House... which course is your favourite?

Monty's inland-links-style course or the rolling O'Meara parkland?

O'Meara all day long. I do like the Monty but the O'Meara mid summer is such a nice experience. Great use of land and a very fair and playable golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I've played both, have played O'Meara more, both before and after the change of layout. I just preferred it, it seemed a lot fairer where as the monty the day i played it, even solid shots were punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

O'Meara all day long. I do like the Monty but the O'Meara mid summer is such a nice experience. Great use of land and a very fair and playable golf course.

This is pretty much my exact answer. Really like Monty, really love O'Meara!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I dislike the Monty as much as i really like the O'Meara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Love both but the O'Meara has the more memorable holes and is by a distance the finer course, far more memorable holes and I'd happily play the O'Meara every day of the week. I couldn't do that on the Monty. The Monty is a fine track but not in the same league as the O'Meara.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mojoeback

The Monty was just too punishing for me as an 18 handicapper. So the O'Meara for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Another vote for the O'Meara here - just more fun to play.

The Monty is very tough off the whites but too easy(in that most of the fairway bunkers are out of play) off the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Another vote for the O'Meara here - just more fun to play.

The Monty is very tough off the whites but too easy(in that most of the fairway bunkers are out of play) off the greens

O'Meara must be a great course - because I thnk Monty is very good. Didn't think I'd like that inland Links idea - but did like Monty.

Must head out and play O'Meara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Monty all the way. Its a cracking test of golf. I find the o'meara to be a good parkland. I play links week in week out, but still find the monty a peculiarly interesting challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

ziggy wrote: »

I used to like monty best years ago but as time has gone on O'Meara is a more interesting course. You can't just blank out the best part of the course 14, 15 & 16, a super run of holes, par3, par 5, par 3

Where do we spend most of our shots? A: Greens, which are better on O'Meara.

have you been there since they added the 2 new holes on O'Meara, it was a great improvement.

Only reason it didn't host the Irish Open last time it went to monty was the new holes didn't look like they would be ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

ziggy wrote: »
    I said: "it was nothing special aside from the section along the river."

Until you get to that point it's not that great TBH.

Monty is a unique test if nothing else.

Personally I think The Monty has nothing to offer at all. If I want to play a links.... I'll go play a links......If I want to play a very nice parkland I'll play the O'Meara. the Monty is niether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

O Meara all the way for me. Personally i think it has more character. There's no doubt its easier but I generally don't base my opinion of a course on its difficulty.

I've just genuinely enjoyed the rounds I've played on the O Meara more than when I've played the Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

another vote for the O'Meara course. Played Monty 4 times and disliked it more each time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have never played the O'Meara course yet so must head up this year.

Have played the Monty a few times now, tough course from the proper tees, too far forward and it takes away from the course.

Have to say that we played Monty off the greens in the Boards outing a couple of years ago and it made a mockery out of some of the holes. I wouldn't be the biggest hitter :D
    and I remember playing a driver which ended up in bunker on 16 I think, and 9 iron into green. it was a par 5 ffs.

but yea, to short off the green tees and makes the course a bit less exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

neckedit wrote: »
    Personally I think The Monty has nothing to offer at all. If I want to play a links.... I'll go play a links......If I want to play a very nice parkland I'll play the O'Meara. the Monty is niether.

Interesting as I like it because it is neither. It's something different and that's the appeal for me. I'm a fan of Castlemartyr too and it probably falls into a similar category. I've played Monty a fair few times now and will jump at the next chance.

Another (lesser) appeal of it for me is it's nice to play a course that you've seen the Pro's play on. I also enjoy the challenge the bunkers pose too, both avoiding and getting out of them. I tend to play better when there's some fear on the tee as it focuses my mind.

I like O'Meara and it is very nice, but if I wanted to play a very nice parkland it wouldn't be top of my list. For that reason, if given a choice, I would opt for the difference Monty offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I like them both equally and can never choose which I prefer when going to play there.
    Great place to be a member and have alternating comps week to week over the 2 courses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I've never played Monty but I think o'meara is a pretty ordinary parkland myself.

Do people consider 6400 yards a short course?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I really like the O'Meara course and have played it a few times now. I only played the Montgomerie once and my overriding feeling on it is that it punishes good shots. I spent most of the round with a sand wedge in my hand coming out of bunkers. If I never played it again I wouldn't miss it.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Have to say that we played Monty off the greens in the Boards outing a couple of years ago and it made a mockery out of some of the holes. I wouldn't be the biggest hitter :D
    and I remember playing a driver which ended up in bunker on 16 I think, and 9 iron into green. it was a par 5 ffs.

but yea, to short off the green tees and makes the course a bit less exciting

While I'd agree it doesn't really play "as intended" off greens, having played it a lot, I can't imagine someone hitting a Driver-9iron to that green. It's the 15th. huge downwind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Much preferred the O Meara myself. The Monty is for lads confident with the big dog off the tee.
    Penal bunkering killed me the once I played it.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    While I'd agree it doesn't really play "as intended" off greens, having played it a lot, I can't imagine someone hitting a Driver-9iron to that green. It's the 15th. huge downwind??

Can't remember what the wind was like to be honest. I don't think it was that strong either way. I wasn't the only one who was playing short irons in that day and it was Deffo a 9 I hit in, mind you I missed the green right I think. It's an elevated green that one I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seve OB wrote: »
    Can't remember what the wind was like to be honest. I don't think it was that strong either way. I wasn't the only one who was playing short irons in that day and it was Deffo a 9 I hit in, mind you I missed the green right I think. It's an elevated green that one I recall.

Yes I remember it too - the wind was helping and it was near 20 degrees from the society thread.

In our group we had a good few eagle chances and on that hole I hit a PW in. Some of the tees were not only the greens but forward. The ground conditions were very good and with a wind behind you that hole has a very big run out down a hill - if you catch it right you can get one over 330 and with summer roll you are a PW in.

I wonder can the greens be so far forward there - they are more like Red.

37 points was only good enough for 6/7th and 42 points won.

It was the one and only time playing the greens did take away from the course - but it still made it enjoyable having chances to score and reach in 2 with ease on par 5s. .

That's crazy. Have played there a couple dozen times and never saw the greens that far forward. It would definitely change the complexion of the course and not in a good way.

Yes I remember it too - the wind was helping and it was near 20 degrees from the society thread.

In our group we had a good few eagle chances and on that hole I hit a PW in. Some of the tees were not only the greens but forward. The ground conditions were very good and with a wind behind you that hole has a very big run out down a hill - if you catch it right you can get one over 330 and with summer roll you are a PW in.

I wonder can the greens be so far forward there - they are more like Red.

37 points was only good enough for 6/7th and 42 points won.

It was the one and only time playing the greens did take away from the course - but it still made it enjoyable having chances to score and reach in 2 with ease on par 5s. .

phew, glad I wasn't dreaming it
    yes, I remember being in a bunker and thinking it took a few yards off so could well of being playing a pw in.
    conditions were perfect though if I recall and we were getting good roll out on the drives

we were crazy far forward on some holes and yes it did take from the round IMO. But I have played it a few times and that was the only occasion I remember it playing so short. is 18 a par 5 also? pretty sure I was on back of green with eagle putt with a 5 or possibly 6 iron in hand

Yep, 15 is dogleg par5, 16 is dogleg par 4, 17 a great par 3 then 18 is a par 5. Must have been well forward to attack that with iron - although I did reach with a 3iron when I played there last year now that I think of it - fairly certain that's only time I've done so and pin was very front and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Am playing Carton for first time next week, anyone played it lately and if so what condition are the courses in?

Advertisement