Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Card Fan Not Working

Options
  • 12-03-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

The fan on my AMD Radeon R9 270 video card has stopped working. Unless I disable it the computer abruptly shuts down after about 10 mins as the video card is getting too hot.

I've run Afterburner and tried the fan setting there, but it made no difference.

I've also taken out the video card and cleaned away dust with compressed air. All the wiring is encased in a plastic case in this model so I don't think it's likely to be a wire that's come lose.

Do I need a new video card, or can the fan be itself be fixed or replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"AMD Radeon R9 270" - which one? The vast majority of people dont buy a reference card.

It does sound like the bushings in the tiny little fan motor have failed, it wouldnt be a hard fix but often GPUs come with 3-5yr warranties depending on the board partner. Check that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    "AMD Radeon R9 270" - which one? The vast majority of people dont buy a reference card.
    It's listed in the device manager as AMD Radeon R9 270. The machine is a Dell XPS 8700.
    "It does sound like the bushings in the tiny little fan motor have failed, it wouldnt be a hard fix but often GPUs come with 3-5yr warranties depending on the board partner. Check that first.
    You mean the bushings need lubricating? The fan does spin momentarily when you turn on the computer, and again for a couple of seconds when you turn it off.

When you disable it are you moving the VGA/HDMI/DVI/DP cable onto the motherboard?

If the fan spins on boot then it sounds like its just in an "eco" mode and thinks it doesnt need the fan. Is AB showing the temp steadily rising?

When you disable it are you moving the VGA/HDMI/DVI/DP cable onto the motherboard?
    This is where I get lost. I'm running a two monitor system, and the video card has the two sockets for those.

Once the video card is disabled only one monitor shows, and there are no issues with heat or shutdowns. It doesn't make sense to me as both sockets are on the video card I've just disabled.

Is AB showing the temp steadily rising?
    Yes, when the card is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It depends on the card, but most gpu fans plug in to the gpu board, but you could use a fan adapter cable or extension cable to plug it directly into your motherboard to power it instead.
    It probably means taking the cover off the gpu to unplug the fan and providing the fan itself is ok and the fault is with the power going to it.

Or buy an after market cooler for it, which you can easily plug into the motherboard with fan extension cables if indeed the gpu fan power is gone.

Or buy a small fast hamster to run the fan

5808.xps8700rear.jpg

So both cables are in the lower outputs and yet one works while its disabled?

Thats really strange. Can you post a screenshot of the display adapters section of the device manager?

Thats really strange. Can you post a screenshot of the display adapters section of the device manager?
    Can't start the machine as I'm getting new windows in the morning and everything is in pieces and beneath dust sheets.

The Device Manager certainly only shows the AMD card in the display adaptor section. Immediately when I disable it, the system goes to one monitor. It also clearly shows in the device manager as disabled.

So both cables are in the lower outputs and yet one works while its disabled?
    Yes.

Okay, so because the fan does briefly spin at startup and shut down, I thought it might be a software issue. So, I started it in the BIOS, and the fan just briefly spins and then goes static. So, it's not a windows settings issue.

Then, with the card disabled, as I said before, even though the monitor is attached to a socket in the card, it works fine on one monitor only but with no other issues. So, I don't really know how that happens unless this card has a built in integrated card as well.

With card disabled.

Untitled_1.png

Untitled_2.png
    upload image

With the card disabled, the device manager only shows one monitor even though both are attached and on. Also, I can start it up with either monitor by turning the other one off. So both sockets are live as it were. Multiple monitors is enabled in the BIOS, and there don't appear to be any monitor power settings in the BIOS.

With card enabled.

Untitled_3.png
    image upload

Fan temperature rises slowly. I see fan set to 78%, but no RPM. I did even manage change to fan to run at 100% in Radeon software, but still no RPM, and fan still physically static.

So, I guess the bottom line is try lubricate the bushings. Maybe the local Chinese guy can do it.

• Advertisement

Just replace the fan. No biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Normally if you take the fan off the model number is on the bottom. Then you just make sure you get one with the same plug and number of wires.

beauf wrote: »
    Normally if you take the fan off the model number is on the bottom. Then you just make sure you get one with the same plug and number of wires.
    Thanks. I've so little experience opening up a computer, so I'll try some local repair guys.

It's like Lego.

It looks more complicated than it is.

beauf wrote: »
    It's like Lego.

It looks more complicated than it is.
    Might give it a go so. Presumably when you take out the fan there are markings showing it's exact size, as the R9 270 from different companies have very different fan arrangements.

Then, where's a good place to buy the replacement?

I think that's part of my problem. The Dell system card has only one fan, and I do work the hell out of the graphics card.

Is it easy to attach a generic fan system to the side of the card?

On my system the gfx card wouldn't fit with the plastic shroud. I removed the plastic cover and screwed the fan to the aluminium heat sink.

I think I would look for a same fan, if possible, then a same sized fan. Only if you can't get that (very unlikely) would I bother going with a different fan completely.

I think your over thinking it. Just replace the fan. End of problem.

if you take a photo of the card, and any serial number on it, we'll probably ID the card and fan for you.

Advertisement