Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programs not working now-Version of file not compatible with version of window

Options
  • 12-03-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi all, strange situation with my work laptop, with windows 7 Enterprise operating system.

Basically now the only programs that work are Word and Outlook. All other programs, including non microsoft office programs such as autocad etc will not work. These all worked perfectly until this happened.

I get a popup with for example autocad:
    C:\Program Files \ Autodesk \ AutoCAD 2016\acad.exe

For example excel:
    C:\Program Files \ Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\EXCEL.EXE

Body of the error says:
    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-Bit) or x64 (64-Bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

The computer itself is fine, starts and shuts down with no issues (Bit slow on start up), all the files and icons etc are as is, hard drive is fine and I can open word documents etc. It is worth noting again it is not just specifically to office programs, I had to highlight this to Tech support a few times already.

How it started was I ran a specific clean up program we have specifically on our laptop, basically to clear old versions of drawing files etc from the system, should only remove or clean these drawing files though, and this may only be coincidence.

I get a pop up when the laptop starts up and I log in:
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application
    The program or feature "\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\supportsoft\bin\bcont_nm.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-Bit version of Windows. Please contact software vendor to ask if a 64-Bit Windows compatible version is available.

I researched this bcont_nm.exe and it can be a virus, however my laptop has up to date mcafee due to it being work laptop. I have also ran malware bytes and ccleaner a few times and nothing suspicious shows up.

I have tried system recovery etc (have no previous restore point of previous system image), however in system recovery, where you select operating system or locate drivers, there is no operating system to select... I have tried to run windows 7 enterprise disc to repair, but it opens the system recovery tools and then does not show any operating system listed.

However the laptop starts and shuts down fine, shows windows 7 enterprise in control panel, system, hard drive is okay as I can access it, open word documents, etc. It is not the different programs as these have worked all along, and as said I have ran ccleaner and malware bytes along with mcafee being on the computer too. Really is strange that two programs work yet no others, and it doesn't see an operating system in system recovery either, yet I can start up and shut down the laptop and use word and outlook, oh and any programs in "accessories, i.e calculator, paint etc).

Advertisement