Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this wire?

• 12-03-2017 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Just had radiator replaced and this wire was left hanging? Also does anyone know how much coolant is needed for a completely drained system. It's an 02 Astra 1.4. Thanks!

Edit. Can't add attachments but it's a small blue 2 prong connection and the radiator itself seems to have a bracket to hold it

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Who replaced the radiator for you? I'd be asking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Drain Brain

Was a 24 hour mechanic. He said its just a wire for optional bits. I'm not so sure though, the fan is connected fine and all the pipes. It's a short wire and seems to only reach the right side of the rad but there's no socket for it there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Presumably it's something to do with the coolant temp sensor but as we can't see it we;re guessing - link picture using non url (ie with a gap) that would be helpful.

try using www.postimage.org/

Coolant capacity is 7 litres roughly

Drain Brain's link :)

20170312_143830.jpg

Cheers. Do I have to use only coolant or will a mix do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

its for the Capacitor Drive... its an optional extra..

latest?cb=20080602215902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Outside air temp sensor?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Outside air temp sensor?

That's a different one. I've located that. Cheers

Cheers. Do I have to use only coolant or will a mix do?

50/50 as winter is over.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Outside air temp sensor?

That's what I'm thinking.

Is the lead long enough to go down in behind the bumper?

edit - seen the above post.

50/50 as winter is over.

That's what I'm thinking.

Is the lead long enough to go down in behind the bumper?

edit - seen the above post.

Thanks. The odd thing is there's a little plastic hold on the side of the rad that it slots into perfectly. It has a little clip on the connection so it's definitely meant to be connected to something. Plus I've never seen it hanging before until this job was done. Maybe there's. Something on the inside of the bumper I'm missing? Fog lights or something? Haven't had a chance to start the car wait as waiting on coolant .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

Is their fog lights on the bumper? If so check if they're working, if not then this lead could be your culprit.

jimbis wrote: »
    Is their fog lights on the bumper? If so check if they're working, if not then this lead could be your culprit.

Just got her running and the "optional extra" was indeed my right fog light. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In Cork, we call such a mechanic as a Langer.
    The lazy bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just got her running and the "optional extra" was indeed my right fog light. Thanks everyone.

Good stuff!

While we're on the subject I'll give yous a laugh. I was replacing the radiator on my mothers 02 Astra with one I got from a car being scrapped. Theyre a bit awkward to get out cause the fan has to come off first but after I got it out I went in and had a cup of tea. Came back out all nice and refreshed, fitted the new/used one. Filled the system with coolant only to find the rad I had got seemed to be leaking in the same spot as the last one.

Then the penny dropped..... I had refitted the radiator that I had just removed pre tea break :D:D

Advertisement