Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved to Ballina

Options
  • 12-03-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I moved to ballina at the start of the year for work. I like the place but have struggled to meet new people to have any social life. Is there any classes or anything that I could attend? I've looked all over the Internet and can't find anything. Would love to play soccer an evening or two a week if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there is a really active squash club that is always looking for new members and its a very social game, its a great way of meeting people and if you have never played before they will make sure you are in with players of your own ability. for info go to the ballina stephenites web page and follow the squash link, there are contact details there.

the athletics club is very active as well and always looking for new people.

there is the soccer club and they might have details of local 5 a sides looking for players the sports center as well.

the cycling club as well if you do any cycling and gyms like functional fitness or ''the gym'' run lots of circuit classes and these are great ways of meeting people as its usually the same people there ( men and woman) and you get to know them after a while, and i know functional fitness have a lot of social nights as well.

the tennis club as well
    then there is the drama society but i dont know much about them but again always looking for new people.

the ballina salmon festival are always desperate for volunteers to help out and its gearing up around now so i say if you called them and said you were new to the area but would like to get involved they would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

There's a mens shed in Ballina, up near the Guarda station.... if you are of the right gender of course.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddington bear

Thanks very much for the info. I have contacted a few of these sports places and will try to attend a few spinning classes in the hall to start hopefully move onto football aswel soon of I make more contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Pm sent re: game of soccer if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Adnan44

Hi Farmchoice,

Where is the soccer club? Is it for males & females?
    farmchoice wrote: »
    there is a really active squash club that is always looking for new members and its a very social game, its a great way of meeting people and if you have never played before they will make sure you are in with players of your own ability. for info go to the ballina stephenites web page and follow the squash link, there are contact details there.

the athletics club is very active as well and always looking for new people.

there is the soccer club and they might have details of local 5 a sides looking for players the sports center as well.

the cycling club as well if you do any cycling and gyms like functional fitness or ''the gym'' run lots of circuit classes and these are great ways of meeting people as its usually the same people there ( men and woman) and you get to know them after a while, and i know functional fitness have a lot of social nights as well.

the tennis club as well
    then there is the drama society but i dont know much about them but again always looking for new people.

the ballina salmon festival are always desperate for volunteers to help out and its gearing up around now so i say if you called them and said you were new to the area but would like to get involved they would be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

the soccer club is located in beleek, if you drive past the athletics track and down past the new distillery it is on the right hand side by the river.

it is a very active club and it has male and female teams. i'm not involved in soccer myself but im sure there will be contact details at the club and this is their website.

http://www.ballinatownfc.com/

i would highly recommended the squash club if you want to meet new people. it is a very social club with loads of beginners and new players joining all the time.
    there is a level for everyone although the season is winding up this time of year. still if you are interested let me know and can PM you contact details or check the ballina stephenites web page or check the squash club Facebook page.

or if you rock up to the club friday night evening the summer league finals will be on, i think there are semi finals on tonight as well actually so there should be a few around. the club is located in the ballina stephenites gaa club clubhouse.

https://www.facebook.com/Ballina-Squash-Club-1667566446853356/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I would second the suggestion of volunteering for the Salmon festival. Its a superb way to network and meet people and they are always looking for volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Adnan44

I emailed
    http://www.ballinatownfc.com

Lady said ''girls football for u12, u14s & u16s not sure about the ladies senior team''

I am looking for a adult ladies team/club?
    farmchoice wrote: »
    the soccer club is located in beleek, if you drive past the athletics track and down past the new distillery it is on the right hand side by the river.

it is a very active club and it has male and female teams. i'm not involved in soccer myself but im sure there will be contact details at the club and this is their website.

http://www.ballinatownfc.com/

i would highly recommended the squash club if you want to meet new people. it is a very social club with loads of beginners and new players joining all the time.
    there is a level for everyone although the season is winding up this time of year. still if you are interested let me know and can PM you contact details or check the ballina stephenites web page or check the squash club Facebook page.

or if you rock up to the club friday night evening the summer league finals will be on, i think there are semi finals on tonight as well actually so there should be a few around. the club is located in the ballina stephenites gaa club clubhouse.

https://www.facebook.com/Ballina-Squash-Club-1667566446853356/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There are also drama groups and two good choirs/ singing groups of that is your thing. My wife is in evry voice and enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Adnan44 wrote: »
    I emailed
    http://www.ballinatownfc.com

Lady said ''girls football for u12, u14s & u16s not sure about the ladies senior team''

I am looking for a adult ladies team/club?

Knockmore have a good ladies GAA setup

Theres a North Mayo Sea Kayakers
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthMayoSK/

• Advertisement
Advertisement