Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5amp sockets / wireless

Options
  • 12-03-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Renovating a house that will include a complete rewire. Architect spec'd 5amp plugs so off I went to google to figure that one out! I really like the idea of central control for sockets but are there only for lamps or can you put them on a socket for a television / computer etc? Are 5amp plugs the way of the future or is there a smarter way to get the centralized control?

One thing that is confusing me further is that in my last place's kitchen I had a set of switches on the wall that control the fridge, washing machine, oven etc. Is that 5amp control or something else?

All advice appreciated as I would like to be as intelligent as budget allows in the complete rewire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're just useful for lamps. Saves you turning them individually.
    Electronic stuff shouldn't really be powered on/off by cutting the power.
    The switches for the appliances are to comply with new regs where the sockets are inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

Thank you Colm,

So my read of it would be that 5amp sockets are great if you are primarily lighting a room with lamps, otherwise they are a bit of a folly.

Centralizing the plug controls is right in a kitchen where the plugs are hidden but not something I should be trying to do elsewhere in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 5a sockets are worth putting in at this point as they would be unecomical to retrofit afterwards.
    It's not just if you're lighting the room with lamps only. Sometimes you don't want ceiling lights on and just want a bit of ambient lighting.

Advertisement