Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can 18yr old students get a debit card without any employment?

• 12-03-2017 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm an 18yr old male and I want to obtain a BOI Debit Card for purchasing groceries and items online when I'm living here and travelling abroad.

I won't get a credit card as common sense would say that it would be quite foolish for someone who isn't employed at all. The thing is though, my mother is 'skeptical' of whether I should have a Debit Card if as an unemployed LC student.

The problem my parents are worried about isn't with me managing finances but rather if I will incur excess charges for not having sufficient cash in my account. Also since I'm not working, I'd have to deposit pocketmoney in the bank.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, it's just that I want to get detailed info before signing a contract for a card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi jeanjolie,

Thanks for your post.

Once you have a current account you can apply for a Visa Debit Card at any time. It can be possible to go into an unauthorised overdraft with debit card transactions so we'd always recommend checking available funds before using the card and keeping a note of transactions until you see them debit your account. We've more information on Visa Debit Cards here including fees for using the card outside the Eurozone. If you decide to apply for one, you can do this by sending an Ask a Question message from 365 Online Service Desk or by calling 0818 365 365.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement