Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thuja trees going brown

Options
  • 12-03-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for some advice / help. I have a number of Thuja trees which form a hedge in my back and front garden. They seem to be turning a brownish color. I'm wondering if anyone would have an idea of what causes this. Any help suggestions welcomed .

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hi I'm looking for some advice / help. I have a number of Thuja trees which form a hedge in my back and front garden. They seem to be turning a brownish color. I'm wondering if anyone would have an idea of what causes this. Any help suggestions welcomed .

Thanks
    Rob

Gonna need a photo rob.
    Could be the dreaded honey or maby just clipped to.late in the season and an early frost bit them

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Oldtree wrote: »
    Gonna need a photo rob.
    Could be the dreaded honey or maby just clipped to.late in the season and an early frost bit them

Hey thanks for replying. I took the attached picture but couldn't get one that really showed the brown. If you look at the tips of the tree you can see it abit. When you stand back and look at the trees they do still have more green but you can see brown on the tips a good bit like all the tree has brown tips. Sorry if that's not much help I know nothing about these lol.

Thanks again Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It may be drought, or due to the long summer late growing season last year unhardened growth got bit by frost. Think its a wait and see for a couple of months to see if the shoots recover or if new growth comes from below the browish bits. Are you able to get a photo of the line of trees? Is the brown all up and down the trees, all on one side maby? and maby a close up of the brown and green below it.

Oldtree wrote: »
    It may be drought, or due to the long summer late growing season last year unhardened growth got bit by frost. Think its a wait and see for a couple of months to see if the shoots recover or if new growth comes from below the browish bits. Are you able to get a photo of the line of trees? Is the brown all up and down the trees, all on one side maby? and maby a close up of the brown and green below it.

Hey I've attached two pictures a close up and a shot of the row of trees. All the trees are same we have around 80 in total. I asked one of the local nursery and they mentioned watering them more. If it was water how often and how much would you need to water. Thanks again for your help and replies. Just to note these are planted about 5 years by a professional nursery the browning started last winter.

Rob

Hey I've attached two pictures a close up and a shot of the row of trees. All the trees are same we have around 80 in total. I asked one of the local nursery and they mentioned watering them more. If it was water how often and how much would you need to water. Thanks again for your help and replies. Just to note these are planted about 5 years by a professional nursery the browning started last winter.

Rob

Sorry here are the pictures

• Advertisement

Pic

Sorry the row picture is to large I'll post it later when I can adjust it

Not wanting to bump the thread but would anyone know of someone in the meath area who knows about trees and treatments for trees. Want to try and get some help with these before its to late .

Thanks rob

Advertisement