Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaptor for Australia

• 12-03-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I am searching for ADAPTORS for use in Australia. Could any boardie tell me is those ones in Argos the right ones Catalogue No.982/2849. It says on their catalogue for use in USA/Aus/China. ( I presume that the "Aus" is Australia but perhaps I am wrong) Cant see them properly on-line. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Aus is Australia. It will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Buy one adaptor and bring an Ireland/UK 6 way power board so everything you have can plug into it. Most things like laptops you can buy a replacement power cord for about $10 that will feed power into the transformer box that plugs into your computer. No need to bother with the adaptor then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Three or four adapters will take up less space in hillbloom's luggage than a six-way power board, and will enable him to plug different appliances into different outlets, should that be more convenient.

Hillbloom, when I check argos.ie for the catalogue no. you give above I see details of a travel adapter for use in the USA. I'm not seeing any mention of Australia. US and Australian plug sockets are different and, while you can get adjustable adapters that will work in both, the text I'm seeing doesn't suggest that these ones are that kind of adapter.

You can buy UK/IRL-to-Aus travel plugs readily in Australia; they cost in the region of $5 to $10. Very likely you'll be able to buy them at the airport on arrival - they route arriving passengers through the shopping area - but, if you don't, you can buy them in high street stores.

I appreciate you don't want to spend your holiday in Australia shopping for electrical fittings. But if you have difficulty getting what you want in Ireland, don't panic; they're readily available in Australia and they're not expensive.

The business end of an Australian plug looks like this:

type-i-australian-plug-outlet-uruguay.jpg

The key is the fact that the live and neutral prongs are angled towards one another in the way you see here. The adapter you're looking for will have this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Thanks guys for the helpful replies. Peregrinus the details in the Catalogue differ from the web page. Aus is stated in catalogue. I will have a look before I buy & at least I know what they look like. Thank you all so much.

Advertisement