Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caller ID box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The reason Eir dont sell them any more is because your phone can do the same job. Assuming you're still using analogue handsets would now not be an opportune time to upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think those eircom ones were made by GE.

They're quite handy compared to using most cordless phones, especially if you're used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Because its for my elderly grandparents and it would be too much hassle teaching them a new phone at this stage or convincing them to throw out a phone they've had for decades when its still working.

They're on eBay.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're on eBay.
    I know they are, theres a link to Ebay in my post. All the ones on Ebay are coming from China. Do they work in Ireland or do you need a specific one for over here?

• Advertisement

The one you linked isn't the same as the one eircom did as far as I know, there are similar ones to the GE boxes eircom did on eBay and they're mainly coming from America. They are a lot more expensive though. Sorry I didn't see the link in your OP.

I would assume they would just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I probably have one thrown out in a drawer in back shed . there is one on adverts for 3 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I probably have one thrown out in a drawer in back shed . there is one on adverts for 3 euro

This?

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/caller-id/12348674

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The one you linked isn't the same as the one eircom did as far as I know, there are similar ones to the GE boxes eircom did on eBay and they're mainly coming from America. They are a lot more expensive though. Sorry I didn't see the link in your OP.

I would assume they would just work.
    Sorry that sounded like I was snapping at you when I read it back :D

I didnt think of adverts thanks, I see a nice GE one in Cork for a tenner aswell, hopefully one of them will post, the Chinese ones are very cheap looking.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've a GE unit gathering dust in a drawer. If you'd like it, PM your address and I'll send it on.

• Advertisement

PM sent, thanks a million Quackster.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thargor wrote: »
    PM sent, thanks a million Quackster.

I can't part with anything that isn't broken so this is the only way I can rid myself of clutter! :D

You're doing a big favour to them, they hate answering the phone when they dont know who's ringing, my grandmother has been praising that little Eircom box for 20 years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just for reference those Chinese ones should work. The only concern is the pinout as the different systems around the world used different schemas.
    Adapt to multi-national standards and a variety of switches.
    Not clear what they mean here but the worst you'd have to do is crimp some new cables to use the center pins.

Advertisement