Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freds throwing away bottles

Options
  • 12-03-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I thought I had seen everything .... until I saw Cat. 4s throwing away bottles coming to the end in Caherconlish today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

TGD wrote: »
    I thought I had seen everything .... until I saw Cat. 4s throwing away bottles coming to the end in Caherconlish today.

Saw same, idiot as it bounced back off the ditch back into the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, this problem rears its head every now and again

professional-like throwing of water bottles in A4 races?! (March 2012)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056586268

Littering at races (March 2014)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057170356

I'm sure I could find a thread from March 2013, March 2015 and March 2016 if I looked. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've seen that a few times in A4. Some people watch too much Telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

recessions well over then

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Ive heard it all now. If its not in the legs its not in the legs. A guy/girl would want to be at the very top end of their game before the weight of their water bottle well help give them an edge. As previously said. Someone must be watching too much telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Was it a Team Madison Genesis bidon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Marginal gains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Was it a Team Madison Genesis bidon?

Ha ha, being biodegradable they will break up but throwing even one of these is senseless! In the pro peloton there can be accidents from this practice too (eg. if it comes back from a kerb) and I think all race organisers also give a briefing/warning on littering (gels /bottles) in pre-race literature/ director sportif meetings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would give my right testicle if those bottles are really biodegradable except in the most insanely favorable conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

One auld boardsie on here had the good grace, many years ago, to stop and pick up his bottle after it bounced out on the previous lap. Went on to win the race too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

All it would take is one article from sticky bottle to explain the complete lack of benefits at this level and it would have stopped by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'm not sure how much of this practice is due to the utterly deluded belief that it'll lead to an advantage towards the end of a race, and how much of it is due to the perpetrators just being pure ignorant arseholes.

My money is on the latter though. I've also seen it in sportives, which lends support to that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

While I really don't understand people throwing away perfectly good water bottles, my oldest are 11 years old, I'm almost as baffled at the level of snobbery that seems to pervade cycling these days in how cyclists are categorised.

People need to learn how to ride in a group and learn the etiquette. Did you know how to execute an efficient nose blow in the middle of a group the first time you went out on a freezing January with a horrible headwind with most of the group behind you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It'd be interesting to know where those who threw their bottles came in the race!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hope you got numbers and made a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

Littering of gel wrappers is appalling. I don't care if you say it's a race, nothing excuses it. If you manage to take the gel out of your jersey pocket during a race and consume it, then you have no excuse for not putting the empty back in your jersey pocket. Not fair on the locals. Just unpleasantly surprised by how non chalant riders are with littering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Walk the molls gap after the ROK wreckless. Bottles, banana skins, gel wrappers, lucozade bottles, red bull cans, coke cans, chocolate bar wrappers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is a Cat 4 rider considered a Fred?
    At one point/category does a superior rider decide you are no longer a Fred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

sparrowcar wrote: »

was out in a group years ago with an x-pro continental rider and a guy [usual winter warrior ] passed a smart comment about some of the guys in the group being freds .The pro turned around and said ,'' look we're all freds , its only a matter of what level of fred's we are ''
    i find its usually a ''fred'' who refers to other riders as freds . Riders who have been around the block usually have to much respect for other riders of any level, for the most part any way

was out in a group years ago with an x-pro continental rider and a guy [usual winter warrior ] passed a smart comment about some of the guys in the group being freds .The pro turned around and said ,'' look we're all freds , its only a matter of what level of fred's we are ''
    i find its usually a ''fred'' who refers to other riders as freds . Riders who have been around the block usually have to much respect for other riders of any level, for the most part any way

That was my point exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I'm a Fred. It's the height of my cycling ambitions and I'm proud to have achieved it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're tossing bottles, you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Well, I'm Cat 4 and definitely not superior.
    Fred is a term I don't generally like and hardly ever use it. But what really annoyed me about these was that they threw away the bottles from a packed bunch during a descent, when everybody needed both hands on the bars for everybody's safety.

Well, I'm Cat 4 and definitely not superior.
    Fred is a term I don't generally like and hardly ever use it. But what really annoyed me about these was that they threw away the bottles from a packed bunch during a descent, when everybody needed both hands on the bars for everybody's safety.

Yep fair enough, sounds like a couple of dopes alright.

I just despise the term "Fred" and the bullish!t that comes with its use. Life's hard enough without people trying to belittle your enjoyment/involvement of the sport by classifying you as a Fred.

Any camelback bottles just out of interest? :pac:

Wish I was a fred, I don't have the money to go throwing bottles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ronoc wrote: »
    Any camelback bottles just out of interest? :pac:

Just a simple old High 5 bottle is what i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I just despise the term "Fred" and the bullish!t that comes with its use. Life's hard enough without people trying to belittle your enjoyment/involvement of the sport by classifying you as a Fred.
    +1. It's easily the worst and stupidest thing related to cycling. Anyone who uses it is usually some roadwarrior arsehole who think's he's an expert and isn't. Usually can't pedal out of his own way or ride in a group properly either. It's like the football fans who have the "I'm a bigger fan than you" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

some roadwarrior arsehole who think's he's an expert and isn't. Usually can't pedal out of his own way or ride in a group properly either.

I think you mean 'Fred'.

• Advertisement

As with all insults in life, if your calling someone one, you probably either are one, were one or are close to being one. Doesn't bother me too much, if it is a joke, then I take it as such, if it was said in all seriousness, then I think to myself, I might be a Fred but your definitely a ****, and let it roll of my back like water rolls off their overpriced Gabba jacket that they don't need as they never go out in the wet weather anyway :pac:

Advertisement