Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freds throwing away bottles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

on a lap circuit if i had an empty bottle id throw it off near the finish line on the last lap and collect it after the race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I only own 3 bottles. And my wife has nicked one. Not sure if that makes me a Fred.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I only own 3 bottles. And my wife has nicked one. Not sure if that makes me a Fred.

My son took one of mine. It's bright blue and was free from Dell, so like yourself I am down to 2. I had another one but stupidly left it beside the comms at a TT while chatting to someone. When I returned later, it was gone. Some A4 probably just picked it up and threw it at someone else as they set off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

thekooman wrote: »
    on a lap circuit if i had an empty bottle id throw it off near the finish line on the last lap and collect it after the race.

Why? You won't notice the loss of 50 grams and a bottle on the downtube can make your bike more aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Why? You won't notice the loss of 50 grams and a bottle on the downtube can make your bike more aero.

Assuming they were full bottles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I don't condone littering in any circumstance. Doesn't matter what it is, fly tipping to cigarette butts, it's a blight on our environment, a poor reflection on upbringing or respect for society.

I have a bad theory when throwing a bottle might be probable. Wanna be A4 pro cyclist has run out of drink from this two bottles during the course of the race and asks a friend for a drink. Friend obliges and passes him his bottle but friend gets caught up in a brake or a fast moving transition and is not able to take the bottle back safely from the take'ee. The take'ee is now in a dilemma, does he cycle one handed towards the fast and chaotic moving finish or ditch the bottle for the safety of two hands on the bars for the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

1bryan wrote: »
    I'm a Fred. It's the height of my cycling ambitions and I'm proud to have achieved it.

I'm both Euro and Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I don't condone littering in any circumstance. Doesn't matter what it is, fly tipping to cigarette butts, it's a blight on our environment, a poor reflection on upbringing or respect for society.

I have a bad theory when throwing a bottle might be probable. Wanna be A4 pro cyclist has run out of drink from this two bottles during the course of the race and asks a friend for a drink. Friend obliges and passes him his bottle but friend gets caught up in a brake or a fast moving transition and is not able to take the bottle back safely from the take'ee. The take'ee is now in a dilemma, does he cycle one handed towards the fast and chaotic moving finish or ditch the bottle for the safety of two hands on the bars for the finish?

He puts it in his pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Crocked wrote: »
    He puts it in his pocket

Easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

....I have a bad theory when throwing a bottle might be probable. Wanna be A4 pro cyclist has run out of drink from this two bottles during the course of the race and asks a friend for a drink. Friend obliges and passes him his bottle but friend gets caught up in a brake or a fast moving transition and is not able to take the bottle back safely from the take'ee. The take'ee is now in a dilemma, does he cycle one handed towards the fast and chaotic moving finish or ditch the bottle for the safety of two hands on the bars for the finish?

This was about 1.5K from the line, in a downhill section with everyone jockeying for position. I think your theory doesn't hold water (if you'll excuse the bad pun).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

He puts it in his pocket
    Easier said than done.

I don't see how. He has one hand off the bars to chuck it away anyway and has 3 pockets on his back he can put it in as easy.

There's no excuse for littering, especially not because they'll come 50th instead of 40th in an A4 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I hope to have the funds and commitment to purchasing shiny things to one day work my way up to Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I don't see how. He has one hand off the bars to chuck it away anyway and has 3 pockets on his back he can put it in as easy.

There's no excuse for littering, especially not because they'll come 50th instead of 40th in an A4 race.
    fcuk ! dont let them know you can gain ten places by throwing away a bottle , it will be like a riot with lads throwing stuff in the last couple k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

fcuk ! dont let them know you can gain ten places by throwing away a bottle , it will be like a riot with lads throwing stuff in the last couple k

and another thing.... unless you are in the top 15 coming in for a sprint dont bother contesting. you are not going to go from 45th to 5th in the last 300metres... be at the front or be out the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

1bryan wrote: »
    I'm a Fred. It's the height of my cycling ambitions and I'm proud to have achieved it.
    same as that. the funny part is , as soon as i realized i was a fred , the more i enjoyed riding the bike and racing

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Disgusted by the actions of fellow racing cyclist's dumping empty gel wrappers on the roadside. And now even worse guys throwing there bottles away to. Am I the only one that says something at the time, or has it become acceptable. Nearly felt like going back for all the bottles. Might have made more than the prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Saw a guy chuck a wrapper into the ditch in A2 Waller cup today too, I cant understand these people's minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It is disgusting. I've made mental notes of rider/bike/kit and complained to the club sec and they promised to take it up with the rider. Absolutely no need for it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not that long since we had a similar discussion, so Freds merged:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Was stewarding for a an A1 race a few weeks ago and a few riders got new bottles at the junction I was looking after, they chucked their empties into the tall grass and people there to give them bottles just got on their cars and left, I fished them out and took them home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bambaata wrote: »
    Saw a guy chuck a wrapper into the ditch in A2 Waller cup today too, I cant understand these people's minds!

A4s were at it all day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A4s were at it all day today.

Shouldn't really need gels for a race that short and flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beasty wrote: »
    Freds merged:pac:
    Mighty Morphin' Power Freds?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Tossing gel wrappers in an A4 race is ridiculous. As they usually say at the start of a race, if it can come out of your pocket it can go back in. I usually stick mine up the leg of my shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Shouldn't really need gels for a race that short and flat.

It's A4, dude. We're the heroes of amateur cycling in Ireland. We do whatever the f*ck we want!

51989753.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would it not be considered dangerous throwing bottles? They can hit stuff and roll back out and create a hazard for cyclists from behind. Should be an immediate disqualification unless it is just hard to police

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

A little off topic. At a club league race last week, riders lined up at the start on pro race level bikes - electronic Dura ace, deep section wheels, carbon everywhere, skinsuits, all to lighten the load - with 4 gels and an energy bar tucked up the legs of the skinsuit & 2 bottles on board, for a 40km race!! :eek: Don't know how much they finished with but I do know none of them won.

Seriously though, the tossing of gel/bar wrappers is getting way out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

glassdoc wrote: »
    A little off topic. At a club league race last week, riders lined up at the start on pro race level bikes - electronic Dura ace, deep section wheels, carbon everywhere, skinsuits, all to lighten the load - with 4 gels and an energy bar tucked up the legs of the skinsuit & 2 bottles on board, for a 40km race!! :eek: Don't know how much they finished with but I do know none of them won.

Seriously though, the tossing of gel/bar wrappers is getting way out of hand.

https://youtu.be/GMHQ9eG_ws4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

He puts it in his pocket

Else it gets the hose again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement