Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing

• 12-03-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

So I've had my new workshop blocked quite a while now. A mate said he'd give me a day or two to get the roof on and has been coming to do it the last two months. I gave up waiting and decided to crack on with it myself. I've never done any roofing before but have a fair idea on how to go about it. I do have a few questions though. Does the first and last rafter go up tight to the wall on the inside? I've worked out the pitch to be around 35 degrees. Would the roof need further support along with the collar ties?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Best to give proposed roof dimensions, and intended materials to be used, timber sizes available
    and roof coverings.

Is it a lean to, mono or duo pitch???

Use CLS timbers if available. Generally better dimensionally, more uniform.
    Probably be C16's as the norm.

But your roof dimensions are needed first.

First and last internal rafters can be close to the wall, or away from it,
    but need to be parralel.

Collar ties and additional lower timbers are dependant on more info from you.

I have homebond building specs if you want to have a loan of them, you,re welcome

Tim

Need more input...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Cheers Tim. It's 18' wide 30' long. It's a pitched roof with a tile finish. My mate got the timber ordered for me and it's been here over a month. I have the rafters worked out and have started to cut them along with the joists. Seems pretty straightforward but I was unsure as I never done roofing before. I'll be forever and a day at it as I'm always double checking and remeasuring everything.

Rafter sizes are........??

Joist sizes are.........?

Collar Ties are.....?

Wall plate is......?

Roof material is.......?

Folks need input to offer advice....please

Pressure treated or not????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Rafters and collar ties are 6x2, joists and ridge are 7x2, wall plate 4x3(this is the only thing treated). The tiles are profiled condron pan tiles. Sorry about that Tim. This is all new to me. I'm happy with the way it's coming along. The first rafter needs to be a foot in from each wall as there'll be too much of a space between the others.

Before you go too far.....

All the rafter and joist cuts should be treated, as fresh cuts are more prone to insect/moisture damage.

Freshly cut timber attracts all sorts of nasties.

Is the timber specced at C16, probably is. I assume its not sawmill stock, and that it is KD timber.

Any purlins going in at all??

45x35 battens I assume. Should be treated really, as they will be the first timbers to get wet on windblown penetration.

Soffet and facia best done in PVC. Its cheap and maintainence free. PVC sag boards under the first row of tiles,

and dont forget the hedgehog for the gutter to keep them clean, and to stop the birds getting up under the eaves.

Cheapest guy for the facia ect is over near edgeworthstown. Name escapes me at the moment.

;-)
    But then again i,m getting old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement